collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Eck Speaks  (Read 20114 times)

Offline Fred

Re: Eck Speaks
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2012, 01:16:23 PM »
'The last day at Norwich was brutal. I knew I needed to be out of the job'.

Prior to that he says

‘I’ll prepare a dossier on what we need to do this summer as quickly as I can,’ said the club’s manager.

What a load of tosh, I am sure after the Bolton game he knew his time was up. He was the wrong man at the wrong time. I suppose he wants a way back in to football as soon as a manager gets the sack, perhaps the Ipswich job?

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2012, 01:18:47 PM »
This bit I agree with:-

McLeish adds: ‘Randy Lerner had asked me to work on a project. He said, ‘‘We want you to work with the club, rather than at the club. We must drive wages down while remaining competitive’’. But when you lose the likes of John Carew, Ashley Young, Stewart Downing, Gareth Barry, James Milner ... the quality Villa had out on the pitch was diminishing. It was going to be a tough ask. It was a rebuilding job.

‘I understand, given what happened towards the end of last season, that  it was difficult for me to stay. But  no-one is able to complete a project of that size in 12 months. I was confident I knew what was needed. There were big changes in my mind ahead of this season. We needed players. An influx of quality. It’s no secret, if you bring in a better quality of player, you produce an improvement in results.

He may have been the wrong man for the job, but the rebuilding he's talking about is true.  Lambo has now brought in 8 players, including Holman, and we're all accepting he needs time.

Barry was sold ages before and replaced in part by Sidwell in advance and latterly Downing and Delph to various degrees.  But in terms of the other four they were on paper replaced with 4 good quality players for decent money, not bargain basement players,
Bent 24 mill, Makoun 6 mill, Ireland 8 mill, N'Zogbia 9.5 mill.  The fact McLeish got soo little out of them reflects more on him than the quality of those 4, which when signed was not really in question.

I would never argue he shouldn't have got more out of what he had, but compare the players we lost after finishing 9th under Houllier, who we then bought and the transfer profit made.  Quite simply, we had gone backwards and needed to shed a few more high earners before we had room to start buying again.  What we saw under Lambo this summer was necessary no matter who was in charge.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2012, 01:19:00 PM »
This bit I agree with:-

McLeish adds: ‘Randy Lerner had asked me to work on a project. He said, ‘‘We want you to work with the club, rather than at the club. We must drive wages down while remaining competitive’’. But when you lose the likes of John Carew, Ashley Young, Stewart Downing, Gareth Barry, James Milner ... the quality Villa had out on the pitch was diminishing. It was going to be a tough ask. It was a rebuilding job.

He may have been the wrong man for the job, but the rebuilding he's talking about is true.  Lambo has now brought in 8 players, including Holman, and we're all accepting he needs time.

Yes it was a rebuilding job but three of the names he mentioned were already gone when he arrived and he knew Ashley was going when he joined. I won't pin Nzogbia on him as we were all clamouring for him as a replacement for Young, even before we knew TSM had the job. I will blame him for bringing in Hutton though, and Sicknote on loan was always going to end badly.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2012, 01:21:54 PM »
Whatever he says, his side would have gone out of the League Cup with a wimper at Man City with tonne of excuses to boot.

Thank God he's gone.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2012, 01:33:13 PM »
It's crazy that he says the perception of him being a negative manager is rubbish. Alex just look at the statistics it's clear you're a negative manager, you're entire career in England shows that.

Offline bilsim

• I just love Aston Villa.
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2012, 01:33:59 PM »
Nice enough bloke, hopelessly out of his depth at Villa. I think he knows that aswell.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2012, 01:37:44 PM »
He needs to stop talking about it all now, move on Mcleish.
Agreed........us too.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2012, 02:04:24 PM »
I understand it is every man's right to defend himself, even in football, but McLeish always seems to have someone, or something, else to blame rather than himself.

To hear him still state he's not a negative manager is absurd.

I can think of plenty of really crap Villa sides in my time, but I struggle to conjure up one which was as embarassing as McLeish's.

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2012, 02:08:33 PM »
Nothing here that wouldn't be expected from a very poor manager who would like another job in football.

But where do they find these ignorant journalists? "In terms of size, the two cities are comparable."

Population of Glasgow - 592,820
Population of Birmingham - 1,016,800

Depends on your definition of Glasgow city. They've been comparable in size for most of their history. Anyway, wrong man, wrong club, wrong time. He's touting for his next job and no manager is ever going to not make excuses for their failings.

Not really sure of what different definitions of Glasgow city there are, although I am sure the figure doesn't include the Clyde Valley.

However, I just took the most up-to-date figure from the official Scotland website. Likewise for Brum.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2012, 02:10:22 PM »
I'm not that bothered about him talking about it, whatever you think of the man he managed,albeit unsuccessfully, one of the greatest clubs in English football, who wouldn't want to talk about that?

Edit to add he also managed the shittiest, he should definitely keep schtum about that.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:14:22 PM by Jon Crofts »

Online Clampy

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2012, 02:11:38 PM »
I understand it is every man's right to defend himself, even in football, but McLeish always seems to have someone, or something, else to blame rather than himself.

To hear him still state he's not a negative manager is absurd.

I can think of plenty of really crap Villa sides in my time, but I struggle to conjure up one which was as embarassing as McLeish's.

In fairness to him, at least he's not name dropping the likes of Mourinho and Capello like our old mate DOL.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2012, 02:16:30 PM »
We probably need to stop talking about him now too.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2012, 02:20:34 PM »
Nothing here that wouldn't be expected from a very poor manager who would like another job in football.

But where do they find these ignorant journalists? "In terms of size, the two cities are comparable."

Population of Glasgow - 592,820
Population of Birmingham - 1,016,800

Depends on your definition of Glasgow city. They've been comparable in size for most of their history. Anyway, wrong man, wrong club, wrong time. He's touting for his next job and no manager is ever going to not make excuses for their failings.

Not really sure of what different definitions of Glasgow city there are, although I am sure the figure doesn't include the Clyde Valley.

However, I just took the most up-to-date figure from the official Scotland website. Likewise for Brum.

Greater Glasgow includes great chunks of the city that were taken out during local government reorganisation. I also think that Glasgow's population shrank more than anywhere else in Europe during the sixties as whole swathes of the city were redeveloped and the populace moved to areas that were technically outside the city boundary but were still considered as Glasgow. It's a bit like Chelmsley being part of Solihull but on a bigger scale. 

Not that it means all that much, but I think it's fair to say they are comparable cities.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:22:12 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2012, 03:45:40 PM »
If he'd have signed Gylfi Sigurdsson he'd have played him at right back

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2012, 03:58:34 PM »
I'm going to feel so sorry for the supporters of the next club he 'manages'

As a Manager he's about as effective as a catflap in an elephant house.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal