collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Eck Speaks  (Read 20109 times)

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
Re: Eck Speaks
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 11:42:46 AM »
Bit of a contradiction I'd say

'The last day at Norwich was brutal. I knew I needed to be out of the job'.

Prior to that he says

‘I’ll prepare a dossier on what we need to do this summer as quickly as I can,’ said the club’s manager.

But McLeish sensed immediately that a dossier wouldn’t be needed.
It’s not going to happen, is it?’ McLeish said, taking a look at his boss’s face. ‘You don’t have to say it.'

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 11:44:38 AM »
Bit of a contradiction I'd say. The bloke talks utter shite

Prior to that he says

‘I’ll prepare a dossier on what we need to do this summer as quickly as I can,’ said the club’s manager.

It’s not going to happen, is it?’ McLeish said, taking a look at his boss’s face. ‘You don’t have to say it.'

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 11:51:08 AM »
Bit of a contradiction I'd say

Prior to that he says

I think when he says: "I knew I needed to be out of the job," I think he means: "I knew the chairman, the players, the fans, the ground staff, the programme sellers, the stewards, the blokes selling hotdogs and burgers under the Aston Expressway, the publicans of Witton, Newtown and Perry Barr, and anybody who had the remotest speck of interest in watching Match Of The Day without feeling the compulsion to stab themselves in the stomach needed me out of the job."

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 11:57:21 AM »
Even in the season that Blues finished 9th, they struggled to score an average of one goal a game.  He was the very epitome of a cautious, dull manager.  What a deluded fool he is.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 12:23:59 PM »
He is obviously putting his name forward for Ipswich / Derby jobs, when they become available!!!

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 12:24:44 PM »
The fucker has put a few lbs on.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2012, 12:28:51 PM »
This bit I agree with:-

McLeish adds: ‘Randy Lerner had asked me to work on a project. He said, ‘‘We want you to work with the club, rather than at the club. We must drive wages down while remaining competitive’’. But when you lose the likes of John Carew, Ashley Young, Stewart Downing, Gareth Barry, James Milner ... the quality Villa had out on the pitch was diminishing. It was going to be a tough ask. It was a rebuilding job.

‘I understand, given what happened towards the end of last season, that  it was difficult for me to stay. But  no-one is able to complete a project of that size in 12 months. I was confident I knew what was needed. There were big changes in my mind ahead of this season. We needed players. An influx of quality. It’s no secret, if you bring in a better quality of player, you produce an improvement in results.

He may have been the wrong man for the job, but the rebuilding he's talking about is true.  Lambo has now brought in 8 players, including Holman, and we're all accepting he needs time.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 12:30:56 PM »
Even in the season that Blues finished 9th, they struggled to score an average of one goal a game.  He was the very epitome of a cautious, dull manager.  What a deluded fool he is.

That's the bit I never get when he is interviewed.  He's either lying to protect his reputation or completely unselfaware of his own managerial style?

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 12:34:27 PM »
I was thinking that. And the article said he'd lost weight!

Offline rjp

• aka Rob
  • GM : 07.05.2024
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2012, 12:38:59 PM »
He's correct that the Norwich game was brutal.  The home game against the baggies (Edit: it was of course Bolton) was bad but the fans en masse really let go that day.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:12:36 PM by rjp »

Offline pedro25

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2012, 12:39:41 PM »
This bit I agree with:-

McLeish adds: ‘Randy Lerner had asked me to work on a project. He said, ‘‘We want you to work with the club, rather than at the club. We must drive wages down while remaining competitive’’. But when you lose the likes of John Carew, Ashley Young, Stewart Downing, Gareth Barry, James Milner ... the quality Villa had out on the pitch was diminishing. It was going to be a tough ask. It was a rebuilding job.

‘I understand, given what happened towards the end of last season, that  it was difficult for me to stay. But  no-one is able to complete a project of that size in 12 months. I was confident I knew what was needed. There were big changes in my mind ahead of this season. We needed players. An influx of quality. It’s no secret, if you bring in a better quality of player, you produce an improvement in results.

He may have been the wrong man for the job, but the rebuilding he's talking about is true.  Lambo has now brought in 8 players, including Holman, and we're all accepting he needs time.

Barry was sold ages before and replaced in part by Sidwell in advance and latterly Downing and Delph to various degrees.  But in terms of the other four they were on paper replaced with 4 good quality players for decent money, not bargain basement players,
Bent 24 mill, Makoun 6 mill, Ireland 8 mill, N'Zogbia 9.5 mill.  The fact McLeish got soo little out of them reflects more on him than the quality of those 4, which when signed was not really in question.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2012, 12:41:20 PM »
Wrong man, wrong place, wrong time, wrong club, wrong universe, just wrong.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2012, 12:52:04 PM »
Nothing here that wouldn't be expected from a very poor manager who would like another job in football.

But where do they find these ignorant journalists? "In terms of size, the two cities are comparable."

Population of Glasgow - 592,820
Population of Birmingham - 1,016,800

Depends on your definition of Glasgow city. They've been comparable in size for most of their history. Anyway, wrong man, wrong club, wrong time. He's touting for his next job and no manager is ever going to not make excuses for their failings.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2012, 01:02:50 PM »
The Bolton game at home put that final nail in his coffin

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2012, 01:15:34 PM »
He needs to stop talking about it all now, move on Mcleish.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal