collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tonight Was the Night Aston Villa Stopped Being Dull!  (Read 15290 times)

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
Re: Tonight Was the Night Aston Villa Stopped Being Dull!
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 06:16:09 AM »
It's going to be interesting to see if he will play Bent and Benteke together again after tonight.From what i'm reading Benteke held the ball up brilliantly and this is what Lambert looks for and it isn't Darrens strong point.Gabby sort of made his point on where he should play,but do you leave Bent out? nice to have options eh. Lets hope we see no more of the hoof.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 06:57:49 AM »
Bent a d benteke will definitely play together again. But I do think we may struggle to pass the ball as well when they do.

Interesting selection choices for Sunday. I'm not sure the 4231 we saw yday is as suitable for home games. I definitely don't think it's suitable for bent. I think we saw that last season (it could be if we had much better players in midfield, but we don't.  With Ireland out, we do need to adjust how we set up.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 07:25:28 AM »
A great thing with our striking options is that it has allowed Gabby time to return fully fit for the first time in about 3 seasons! It'll be nice for him not to be blighted by having to look "disinterested" with a niggling hamstring or achilles this season.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 07:34:24 AM »
I honestly don't care if we conceed 4 on several more occasions this season, if we bounce back with performances like last night.  I can live with defeat; I can't live with lack of desire. 

Not for the first time this season, I get the feeling of a club once again moving in the right direction.  That pleases me no end - and makes the odd blip along the way quite easy to bear. 

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 07:46:20 AM »
I was just getting used to Dull with the odd glimse of excitement.  Not sure how to cope with
this up and down Villa at the moment.  It might take time.   

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 07:59:56 AM »
I've always said it, a team plays in the image of it's manager.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 08:11:12 AM »
It's not good for my blood pressure.

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 08:16:06 AM »
It's not good for my blood pressure.
Too true Legion, there are a few of us on here with dicky tickers and all this excitement is getting a bit much.
Bring back TSM, boring is good for the heart. ;)

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 08:18:04 AM »
I concur with Paulie and PWS. The over reaction after Saturday was daft, as it was after the Swansea game.

It is going to be like this all season so let's enjoy the ride and let the bloke in charge get on with the job.

We have a got a good one here.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 08:38:20 AM »
We have a got a good one here.

Is that what you’re hearing from your friends inside the club?

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2012, 08:42:17 AM »
I honestly don't care if we conceed 4 on several more occasions this season, if we bounce back with performances like last night.  I can live with defeat; I can't live with lack of desire. 

Not for the first time this season, I get the feeling of a club once again moving in the right direction.  That pleases me no end - and makes the odd blip along the way quite easy to bear. 
This.

Offline NeilH

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2012, 08:43:19 AM »
As some of us pointed out on Saturday when others were reaching for the razor blades, this season is going to see a lot of ups and downs, but it's going to be entertaining along the way.

Be patient and enjoy the ride.

Absolutely right and speaking personally I'm bloody loving the ride so far.

There will be big ups and big downs this season, but at least we've got a sense that we're part of the ride.

Think of us this season as the footballing equivalent of calling out your ex-girlfriends name during the act of coitus. It will still be good fun, but boy are you going to have to hold on for dear life and there's always the risk of it going horribly wrong.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, 08:47:48 AM »
I've always said it, a team plays in the image of it's manager.

Indeed. Hence the games at the Etihad under Houllier and McMinge where we'd lost before the players had even stepped off the bus. Defeat is part and parcel of football but lack of effort should never be tolerated.

Offline Baldy

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2012, 09:05:35 AM »
Paul Lambert has done the maths and for now, that will guarantee a roller coaster ride. As an example:

Played       Won      Drawn      Lost      Points
6                0           6              0           6
6                3           0              3           9

We would all prefer 9 points. Get the impression PL does not like draws and we will go for the win regardless of the opposition. There will be days like Southampton but my god, there will be days like Man City (granted after extra time).

Exciting football, exciting times are back at Villa Park. Our manager will not settle for a draw even if it means defeat. Mr Lambert has done the maths and I think we will love it.

8)

Offline nigel

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2012, 09:39:09 AM »
This result certainly puts the Southampton debacle well and truly to bed. Fantastic response from the lads.
I heard CN'Z had a good game. I've been his biggest critic on these forums, but today it's a big WELL DONE to him. Let's hope he keeps it going.
Gabby was unplayable apparently. That actually adds to my argument regarding injury recovery. Last couple of seasons he got injured, but, in my opinion, come back too early. This time he's had time out and made a proper recovery. I suppose only time will tell.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal