collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Goals win games (don’t they?)  (Read 3075 times)

Offline Londonvilla

Goals win games (don’t they?)
« on: September 25, 2012, 03:00:10 PM »
Goals win games (don’t they?)

Let's face it as a Villa fans we are one of the few group of fans who can actually appreciate players who do not score goals on a regular basis. (We have heroes like Paul McGrath and Tony Daley) however at the end of the day football is a simple game and you need to score more goals than you concede. So the question is how many goals are we likely to score this season, with our current squad which is clearly a work in progress.

Concrete Ron – good in the air, good on the ground, and has already scored this season. I think it would be fair to expect a goal return of four goals this season

Richard Dunne – may get back into the team if the manager values premiership experience over youth and enthusiasm, he was unable to hit a barn door with a banjo last season so I wouldn't expect any goal return from him this season.

Alan Hutton – couldn't score in a brothel and I don't think he'll get the games this season (at the Villa.)

Ciaran Clarke – shows he's got an eye for goal (would have loved to see him play with Gary Cahill.) I think he can score four goals this season

Joe Bennett – the manager likes fullbacks to get forward, and who are good on the ball which means that our fullbacks will get into goal scoring positions. However I'm not sure how JB will fare this season in the top flight, so I would have to put him down for no goals this season.

Enda Stevens– there's something missing from his play, it could just be a confidence thing. If there was ever a player who needed to go out on loan to a championship club in order to learn his craft its him. Zero goals for us this season

Eric Lichaj  -the boys got an engine on him and always seems to find himself in good positions in the opposition's box. I think it would be fair to expect him to score two goals this season.

Nathan Baker – I'm sure he will develop into more than a steady Eddie at the back, however when Dunne gets back to fitness he'll find himself as fourth choice centre back, as a result I have to putting down for no goals this season.

Matthew Lowton – scored six goals last season and appears to have the right place, right time, part to his game as a result I think we can expect three goals from him this season.

Stephen Ireland – the boy confuses the hell out of me, sometimes I think that he is a better version of Frank Lampard and other times I think he's a better version of Lee Hendrie. Should be scoring 14 goals a season but I honestly can't see him scoring more than two goals.

Karim El Ahmadi– has a poor scoring record (in the past) but has shown ability and intelligence which means that it would be fair to expect him to score two goals in total this season.

Charles Insomnia – could someone just slap this man, should be scoring 8 to 12 goals a season but I honestly can't see him scoring more than two goals. There is definitely a player in their but I'm not sure that Paul Lambert is the man to get a performance out of him , this is because Paul Lambert values hard work, playing for the team, and leaving it all out there on the pitch. Whereas Charles insomnia, values, fast cars, fast women and being the centre of attention. Let's face it he is still young, but has only had one good goal scoring season. Two goals all season is the best he will do.

Marc Albrighton – great crosser of a ball, and can finish but, when he lost confidence he went from being one of the brightest prospects in the country, to being another headless chicken midfield player, who runs around aimlessly and fails to take responsibility. If Lambert is able to work some magic on him, I think that he will come good. I have put him down for two goals this season.

Brett Holman – the Road Runner, I would love to see him playing in central midfield as he could be our Yaya Toure or Patrick Vieira however a goal return of four this season is all that we can expect, in a side that is only likely to create chances at home. Total of four goals

Ashley Westwood – the new Michael Carrick, which is slightly unfortunate for us in the goal stakes, as Carrick doesn't score that many and he's in a side that creates tons of chances. No goals from Westwood this season.

Fabian Delph– surprised that he's not been in the team more as I thought that Lambert liked him, at best we can hope for two league goals this season

Barry Bannan – covers more ground than any of the Villa player, but doesn't score enough goals, has the talent to score between eight and 10 goals a season, but we'll be lucky if he scores two league goals all season. Two goals this season

Chris Herd – almost the forgotten man, if you read what people post about the team, I think he has a future as a player who can come off the bench and do a job, however I can't see him playing enough to score goals. Zero goals this season

Andreas Weimann– our fox in the box, if he played for a team that created more chances he would be a 15 goals a season player. For us at our current stage of development, I can only see him scoring six goals this season in the league.

Gabriel Agbonlahor– shocked that he hasn't been playing, if he gets the game time then I think we can put him down for his usual five goals however if he played up front by himself with all the midfield options we have available, he would score 14 goals this season. However this won't happen so I think we should chalk him up the usual five goals.

Christian Benteke– I wasn't expecting much from him especially as I thought we should have gone after the lad who went to Everton (Morales) Just because he has a better goal return, and the money that we spent was about the same. If you believe what they say about Christian , he will need three chances to score one goal, however he is only 21 and he will get better, the issue is how many goals will he score for us this season, I honestly cannot see him scoring more than five goals this season. I know it's a low number, but it won't take premiership defences long to work him out, and then it's up to him to improve his game. We will see the best of him next season.

Darren Bent – if you create chances he will score, but he won't do much more than that (however there were signs against Swansea of him trying to be a team player) the problem is our midfield don't create enough chances for him. Surprise that Liverpool or Arsenal didn't make us an offer we couldn't refuse and I am not sure that they won't come back for him at Christmas. However I can only see him scoring 12 goals in all competitions this season.

The problem with predicting the number of goals each player will score is it's just a guess, however the goal return from our midfield and wide players, is where I see our problems being this season. If they prove me wrong the Villa will finish about ninth in the table this season if not we will be on the second page of the league table when you tune into match of the day.

So in summary goals win games, and I can't see where the goals are coming from, or am I just wrong? Can anybody see any of the players scoring more goals than I'm predicting?

In Lambert we trust

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Goals win games (don’t they?)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 03:02:20 PM »
Yes.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 03:23:41 PM »
Law 10. The method of scoring.

A goal is scored when the whole of the ball passes over the goal line, between the goalposts and under the crossbar, provided that no infringement of the Laws of the Game has been committed previously by the team scoring the goal.

Winning team
The team scoring the greater number of goals during a match is the winner. If both teams score an equal number of goals, or if no goals are scored, the match is drawn.

SIMPLES !

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 05:17:25 PM »
Yes.

You should get Chris Jameson to summarise that for you.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 06:14:51 PM »
Bent will score more than 12

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 06:25:15 PM »

Concrete Ron – good in the air, good on the ground, and has already scored this season. I think it would be fair to expect a goal return of four goals this season

Has he?

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 06:58:01 PM »
There's a lot down for two goals there!

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 07:02:26 PM »
I think your predictions are bang on the money, unfortunately.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal