collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: No Respect?  (Read 17986 times)

Offline Kingthing

No Respect?
« on: September 22, 2012, 09:41:31 PM »
Twice now, West Ham and Southampton, I've found myself trying to apologise to home fans after their positive response to our 19 minutes applause for Petrov ,only to be greeted by " no respect my lord " from Villa fans , it's embaressing, get a fucking grip, other fans have been nothing but respectful,it seems people sing it as a matter of course
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 09:50:53 PM by Kingthing »

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
Re: No Respect?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 09:52:28 PM »
It's great that other clubs supporters are joining in.  If our numbskull type supporter (all clubs have them) is going to piss away that goodwill because they can get a few loud, mocking chants off at the oppositions supporters well that's quite sad - but not surprising.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 10:03:41 PM »
I think it's time to stop the 19 minute thing.
Stan knows how we feel.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 10:08:12 PM »
Yes FFS people need to get a grip. The Southampton fans probably didn't even realise what was happening !
And what do you expect when you have meat heads singing "Southamptons a shit hole I wanna go home" when they let us in their pubs and welcome us in a friendly way!!

Embarrassing

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 10:28:26 PM »
Stan knows how we feel.

Agreed. Petrov knows everybody's with him. Booing the opposition's fans for not clapping is a step too far. It's all getting a bit silly now. Time to let it lie.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 10:36:13 PM »
Or just let it be. If other fans don't clap so what.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 12:10:06 AM »
I agree with Kingthing. At W Ham their nutter fans to the left of the away end seemed to join in but were quickly met with a chorus of no respect my lord.

I found it small time.

Offline SteveD

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 12:28:08 AM »
"Empty seats my lord" is also a bit pathetic, when you think of Villa Park these days. Hardly claustrophobic in any part of the ground.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 12:38:12 AM »
You are right, no doubt, but what about "we far the best team the world has have ever seen"?

Those seeking seering wit or profound truths in football chants are likely to be disappointed.
Or just let it be. If other fans don't clap so what.

Speaking words of wisdom ...

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 12:49:30 AM »
Stan knows how we feel.

Agreed. Petrov knows everybody's with him. Booing the opposition's fans for not clapping is a step too far. It's all getting a bit silly now. Time to let it lie.
Same here. Let's stop it before the gesture loses total respect.

Offline bilsim

• I just love Aston Villa.
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 01:51:50 AM »
Stan knows how we feel.

Same here. Let's stop it before the gesture loses total respect.

Disagree. The gesture is throughout Stan's illness and means just as much each week. Just because he's in remission he still has a long way to go and this is a nice way to let him know he's in our thoughts and we want to see him come back one day. This is there to spur him through a lonely and troubling time. I'm not usually one for sentiment but I think the 19th minute applause is a good way to collectively share our support. As far as the "no respect" brigade go, it's a real shame people feel that way but we know it doesn't express the opinions of the majority. If they sing stupid songs, the majority sings louder.

Offline Hampshire Villa

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 09:50:20 AM »
I had a great day yesterday socially. Parked at an old Schoolfriend's house, went to the pub with him and his mates us in our Villa shirts , Him and his mates in Saints shirts, to a Saints pub. We were welcomed warmly, had a great bit of friendly banter. When the 19 mins came along , the Saints fans had no idea what was going on!, when  some of them finally clicked they started clapping, only to be met with the no respect.
 Perhaps we should have joined in with their chant of Going down , Going down, Going down with a chorus of " So are we , so are we, so are we!"
If only I could offer my mates such a warm welcome at a pub so close to Villa Park!
Whilst I feel for Stan, it's fine if we want to clap at 19 mins but the expectation should be that not everyone at away grounds will realise what we are doing. The same was true at West Ham. We were close the big fat lad and his mates who always hurl abuse from the few Herberts on the left hand side, but as soon as the clapping started they where joining in from start to end, only to be met with the poor no respect garbage!

Offline Apyadg

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 10:02:16 AM »
I think there's a section of fans who look at Grieferpool and think that's what all fans should be like.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 10:24:45 AM »
I'm in a place now where maybe we should park this 19 min clap thing.
Stan knows how we feel so who are we clapping ? Is it pity for ourselves ?
I say stop it now before it loses all impact

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 10:25:38 AM »
I sat with Forest fans in pre-season and some clapped and I heard a few 'whats that for?'

It is a little pathetic, how are other fans supposed to know?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal