collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa attract detractors: is this a good sign?  (Read 7942 times)

Offline Reuben

Re: Villa attract detractors: is this a good sign?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 02:18:17 PM »
Well it's interesting that Guardian knocked us all last year, and have started praising us a bit this year. Then again, they don't have any of the Old Boys' network of pundits in their ranks, so they could say what they like about TSM.

No - they have a dig

"There are some things no football manager should tolerate: personal abuse, tantrums from subs, and losing to the current Aston Villa team"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/sep/21/premier-league-weekend-demba-ba

Offline peter w

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 02:32:06 PM »
So we aren't getting good  press reaction. We will.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 04:58:08 PM »
Some of tomorrow's press may well be deserved after today's game.

Offline HK Villan

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 06:33:27 AM »
Listening to 606 yesterday, its no wonder many people view Villa the way they do. 

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 09:23:36 AM »
We've been going downhill for years. There is hope in the fans this time round that we've finally gone for an up-and-coming manager for a change and his approach seems to be one that we're happy with.

Time will tell whether the players are good enough or not but the early signs have been good, it's inevitable that we'll have some bad games as it always is with new squads and younger players. I just hope we're not hanging around the relegation places too long otherwise we'll have a section of the support that wants Lambert out too. And that would be foolhardy.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 11:25:13 AM »
From the Daily Star

RICKIE LAMBERT began his season with goals against Manchester giants City and United – but will savour his strikes against lowly Aston Villa so much more.

Cheeky f*ckers.Would they have described Liverpool as lowly if they'd lost to them

Grrrrrrrr!!

Offline sonlyme

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 07:33:18 PM »
Robbie Savage fits in perfectly on the BBC golfing chums network sofa. Bet he can't believe his luck that the corporation will pay top dollar for such p*ss poor journalism but football fans seem prepared to put up with it.
Heard him on FT this morning ' I'm going to be controversial here' (stand by for predictable and lame)
At the end of the day he isn't insightful or original or interesting so who cares what he claims to think.

Spot on.

Lily is trying to make a career for himself after 'football'.  Broadcasting and journalism are the only ways faded ex-pro's can keep getting a fix of the limelight they had as sportsmen.

But does it make good broadcasting and journalism?

Plainly not - Savage courts controversy as a means to getting attention - that is all there is to him.  Insight - tactical nous - empathy - and intellect, are all absent.

If the BBC were to make a documentary tomorrow about the history of coal-mining or steel-working do you think they would use someone from the shop floor to present it?  No - they would not - because working in a coalmine or a foundry and talking about history are two completely different things.

Being an ex-pro is no guarantee of informative insight.  Though there are exceptions - they prove the rule.

Indeed many of the finest sports journalist's and broadcaster's this country has even seen never made it as professional sportsmen.

That is because being a journalist and being a sportsman are two completely different skills.

Yet too many producers first port of call when creating a show is the ex-pro, simply because he is an ex-pro.  One is fine.  Two if you must.  But football coverage now is littered with them - whether they have anything insightful to say or not.

You will often hear this from people involved in the media ... 'It's all about opinions'.  Well - partly yes.  But as a consumer, I want informed opinions, entertaining opinions, thought provoking opinions.  Not the regurgitation of worn out cliches, or the stating of the obvious, or indeed manufactured controversy.

Mr TV exec - as you sit in your meeting - terrified that everyone will find out you don't know what you are doing - remember this.  Give me a Motson, give me a Moore, give me talented broadcasters - but please keep your safe-choice diet of inane ex-pros - the Gary's and Robbie's - to yourself. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 07:50:01 PM by sonlyme »

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 07:45:02 PM »
And on that subject, I was surprised to find out during the Olympics that John Inverdale, who many consider to be an excellent sports broadcaster, never played any sport at anywhere near a professional level.

I'd imagine he gets paid a darn sight less than many of these ex-pros too.

Offline KRS

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 09:04:15 PM »
On the Cup highlights show last night we were described as "struggling Premier League side Aston Villa"....condescending tw@t.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 09:05:06 PM »
I thought it was Ipswich who attracted detractors.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 09:17:37 PM »
I thought it was Ipswich who attracted detractors.

Very good.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2012, 09:22:22 PM »
And on that subject, I was surprised to find out during the Olympics that John Inverdale, who many consider to be an excellent sports broadcaster, never played any sport at anywhere near a professional level.

Yet Sky, by an amazing coincidence, believe that the best cricket commentators are all former England captains or arguably the greatest fast bowler ever, with a former player who only played for England a few times to provide comic relief.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2012, 05:08:18 PM »

Yet Sky, by an amazing coincidence, believe that the best cricket commentators are all former England captains or arguably the greatest fast bowler ever, with a former player who only played for England a few times to provide comic relief.
So does that say something about Sky or something about former cricketers compared to former footballers?

Whatever, I find that most "expert summarisers" are expert "spouters of the bleedin' obvious" and I usually have to turn the radio off when people like Savage, Claridge and others get on their soapbox.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2012, 11:21:17 PM »

So does that say something about Sky or something about former cricketers compared to former footballers?

Whatever, I find that most "expert summarisers" are expert "spouters of the bleedin' obvious" and I usually have to turn the radio off when people like Savage, Claridge and others get on their soapbox.

It says everything about Sky and the celebrity culture they encourage. Is Ian Botham really one of the best commentators in cricket?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2012, 12:01:31 AM »
Yes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal