collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:34 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 10:44:59 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tony Adams, what a ....  (Read 16440 times)

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Tony Adams, what a ....
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 02:58:02 PM »
Not really interested in what he has to say, if he chooses to disrespect numerous clubs so be it. Pointless nutcase, he couldn't get a job at a League 1 club let alone a premier league club.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 03:00:59 PM »
I have sympathy for the demons he has to battle, but as with many people, having an addiction doesn't stop you being a tit.  Some people just aren't cut out for football management, and he's one of them.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 03:03:27 PM »
Like Risso, I also have sympathy for his demons, having to battle a twat like Tony Adams.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 03:03:45 PM »
Full interview

Tony Adams today branded Arsenal “a feeder club” and insisted they will never win the Champions League unless they change their mentality on and off the pitch.

In a wide-ranging interview with Standard Sport, the former Gunners and England captain revealed the extent of his frustration at seven trophyless seasons which he believes is explained by the regular departure of leading stars and a lack of professionalism among the players.

Adams retired in 2002 having spent 19 years at the club and will tonight begin work as a Sky Sports pundit covering the Gunners’ European opener against Montpellier in France.

And although the 45-year-old is confident Arsenal will start their Group B campaign with a victory at the Stade de la Mosson, he claimed Arsene Wenger will have to modify the club’s playing style to ensure they are more resilient before lifting the one major trophy that has so far eluded the Gunners boss.

“I expect Arsenal to roll them over because I don’t think Montpellier are the talent they were last year,” he said. “This time last year, it would have been a very interesting game. It’s a bit like us playing Manchester United before we sold our centre-forward, Robin van Persie, to them.

“It’s the same scenario with Montpellier and Olivier Giroud — we’ve become a feeder club and it’s like different levels of clubs all of a sudden.

“My experience is that when you play away from home in Europe, it is very important to be resilient and Arsenal are not known for being resilient.

“That can change but I’d say that in games they haven’t won, they haven’t done a professional job.

“We’ve not had the greatest success in Europe but I do feel that the whole team have got to be defensively solid away from home and I don’t think it is in a lot of these guys’ nature. Hence, when you open up, you can concede.

“There is no way in a million years Arsene is going to change his philosophy but I don’t think this team are good enough to win it.

“I expect them to score goals but they cannot win the Champions League with their current mentality. I hope they prove me wrong but against the better teams I think they will fall short again.

“I am not alone here — I think most of the Arsenal fans would agree with me. Strange things happen, like Chelsea winning with not the greatest team in the world, but they did have the whole team fighting to keep clean sheets.

“To actually think you are going to play Barcelona or Real Madrid off the pitch . . . I don’t think this team are good enough to do that.

“I think they will beat Montpellier but in recent years you just fear they cannot go away from home and do a professional job.

“The thing is, they have to do it for two or three years before they get that reputation back as a resilient side.

“They have sent out the wrong message piece by piece for seven years and it chips away at your credibility. Selling your best players is part of that.”

Adams is working in Azerbaijan as an advisor to Gabala FC, whom he also briefly managed last season. Although not in a rush to return to the Premier League, Adams admits he ultimately would like to take charge at Emirates Stadium in the future.

“I’ve done the lower leagues and it’s a different style of managing,” he said. “No disrespect but I don’t want to be Swansea boss, either. They probably don’t want me. Aston Villa? What’s the point? What can you do with them? So it’s the Arsenal or nothing and I’m not ready for that.

“But I’d love to manage Arsenal one day. Not at the moment because they have a very good manager who is off selling all their best players so I’d better not go there next week!

“I need something in between, maybe in Europe. My reputation as a coach is very good in Holland.

“I worked there for a long time at Feyenoord and Utrecht as a first team coach. If a mid-table team became available in Holland, although I wouldn’t do it in England because of my playing career, I would do it there.

“I see some managers that would take any club and get on the conveyor belt but it is not for me. I’d rather go and watch my kids play football.”

Offline Damo70

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 03:04:09 PM »
He's not the first ex- Woolwich Arsenal centre back to have delusions about his managerial ability is he?

The one positive thing I would say about both of them is that they buggered off thousands of miles away. Although one of them has always kept his favourite residence located up the Irish FA's backsides just in case.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 03:33:08 PM »
He's probably just bitter that we upset his mate O'Dreary, who was doing a sterling job under difficult circumstances until we hounded him out.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 04:05:25 PM »
Good job Lambert doesn't feel like that about his mate Mcleish.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 04:07:51 PM »
Never bought into the new man nonsense where Adams is concerned. He suddenly reinvented himself as a deep thinking, poetry reading, piano playing new man but he just seemed a complete thicko to me. Bloody useless football manager too, hope he does get the Arsenal job.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 04:11:03 PM »
Almost as annoying as that other pseudo intellectual twerp Joseph Barton. 

Neither are poster boys for abstinence.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 04:54:21 PM »
Never bought into the new man nonsense where Adams is concerned. He suddenly reinvented himself as a deep thinking, poetry reading, piano playing new man but he just seemed a complete thicko to me. Bloody useless football manager too, hope he does get the Arsenal job.

but he never said anything insightful he wanted to come across as Oscar Wilde but came across more like Kim

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2012, 05:00:46 PM »
He sounds bitter (pun intended)to me.
Probably applied for both the Swansea and Villa job and got the knock back.

cnut

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2012, 05:02:52 PM »
If he is back on the pop then it's a shame for him. However, it just goes to show how much shit you're liable to talk when pissed up.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 05:38:03 PM by Stu »

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2012, 05:07:20 PM »
No one with bit of intelligent and quality will turn down Aston Villa job. There are about 12 (For sake of debate) club management job better than Aston Villa worldwide and players like Tony Adams, Robbie Savage, David O'Leary doesn't get Aston Villa. Why should we hire them.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2012, 05:08:04 PM »

but he never said anything insightful he wanted to come across as Oscar Wilde but came across more like Kim

I know, that's why I said he is a thicko. 'Kids in America' is a great pop song though.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2012, 05:53:01 PM »
And in other news the Solihull Borough kit man says he's not interested in the Man Utd job when Fergie retires.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal