collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What are the biggest reasons for the 180 difference since the first two weeks?  (Read 16057 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
What I liked about the reaction to the Swansea result was that there weren't too many of us getting carried away and predicting a top 6 finish.  And although I've only skimmed the post-match thread from Saturday, it seems the same in terms of not too much despondency and understanding there will be days like that during what is primarily a rebuilding season.

"Meet triumph and disaster and treat those two imposters just the same."

As for ehat went wrong, I think tactically Southampton sussed that our fullbacks could be got at due to lack of natural protection from a narrow midfield, which may have been contributed to by the Ireland/Westwood sub, plus Rickie Lambert had probably the best 45 minutes he'll ever have in the Premier League.

What we need to learn from it:-
1.  Westwood needs to adust to the pace of the PL.
2.  We need to be able to shift formation to protect our FBs when needed.
3.  We need to be more professional and learn to take the sting out of a game when needed.

Offline eastie

In all honesty outside the top 6 or so clubs there is much of a muchness and the rest can all beat each other - we could finish anywhere between 8th and 16th depending how we progress, top 6 is not realistic this season .

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
With the inexperience in the squad, but the raw talent too, we'll have a lot of Swansea and Southampton.

Inexplicable feast or famine. 

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
In all honesty outside the top 6 or so clubs there is much of a muchness and the rest can all beat each other - we could finish anywhere between 8th and 16th depending how we progress, top 6 is not realistic this season .

I recall Richard Moore commenting these last few seasons on how poor the PL is outside the top 4 and he had a point. However, this season I think we're seeing plenty of teams that can play a bit. Southampton's movement and passing was excellent on Saturday, they're certainly not a bad team despite their results to date. I think the number of quality players joining the PL's smaller teams has certainly changed, who'd have thought a few years ago a team like Southampton could sign a player like Ramirez, Swansea with Michu or players like Green, Park and Hoillett joining bloody QPR?

The other obvious change is the style of play. With the possible exception of Stoke, almost all teams are playing a more technical, passing game. Of course we're going to struggle in this area, we've been hoofing it for far too long and it'll take time to catch up. Still, better late than never. What we do need to do is show teams some respect. We tried to match Southampton with an open game and got deservedly stuffed. A bit more tactical caution away from home may be needed. We can save the cavalier approach for Villa Park, a place where I think we will finally start getting the performances and victories under Lambert&Co.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal