collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What are the biggest reasons for the 180 difference since the first two weeks?  (Read 16058 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
I think the biggest influence has been the fact that it takes time for his methods to start to look like they're working.

I'd also add that, whilst the last two games were much better, we're right at the very, very early days yet, so as well as matches showing improvement, there are going to be a lot of off-days, poor, Everton-style performances between now and the end of the season, too.

We need to realise that and be prepared for it, and when these off days do happen, not shit our pants and start screaming that he's no better than McLeish.

What he is doing could, if done properly, change the course of the football side of the club for a long time to come. It is certainly long overdue, so let's let him do it.

Offline Matt Collins

1. The last two games has seen a high intensity pressing game lacking in the first two. 2. Guzan 3. The diamond / narrow 442 system has suited us

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
Oddly enough the West Ham and Everton games were the kind of games we got something out of under O'Neil whereas the Swansea type of game we would concede rather than score late on.

We weren't brilliant at West Ham but have played worse there and won. Watching the Everton game I got the distinct feeling that it was not unlike the 3-2 at Goodison. They all over us at times on us that day too.

Offline KRS

In terms of...

Playing style: time for the team to gel and get used to their roles/work ethic installed by PL
Personnel: dropping Given and N'Zogbia has strengthened the team throughout

The starting XI for the last 2 games looks relatively strong and solid compared to the team selections against West Ham and Everton. Players are falling into the right holes with everyone else doing there to do their bit as squad players to cover tactical substitutions, injuries and suspensions.

Offline Ryu

I disagree with the OP that lichaj coming in for baker hasn't had much effect. I think we got murdered down our left side against Everton And Baker kept getting dragged inside as he's naturally a central player.  Having licha in there has improved the balance IMO.

I agree that guzan has been very influential though.

Offline danlanza

Guzan has made a massive difference. Good to see our keeper shouting at the other players and making them cover him properly.
This weekend should be interesting against Southampton. 3 points would really set us on a good path.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Lambert from the start wanted the squad to 'buy' into what he was trying to do.  It wasn't evident against West Ham, we seen 15 minutes of it against a strong Everton, lots against Newcastle and even more against Swansea.  That's pretty good going considering it's a virtually new team with only 4 league games gone.

There are some stand out players so far but overall it has been a a great team effort that has got us going. 

Offline rutski

time. that is main difference. the squad will rotate i think and this season will be one of peaks and troughs! important we stick with lambert and when it goes wrong and we lose a few games dont start the slagging off. but there will be the usual numpties who will anyway! i am waiting for the first time that the phrase, 'but we have no natural width' is used!.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
time. that is main difference. the squad will rotate i think and this season will be one of peaks and troughs! important we stick with lambert and when it goes wrong and we lose a few games dont start the slagging off. but there will be the usual numpties who will anyway! i am waiting for the first time that the phrase, 'but we have no natural width' is used!.

but we dont ,  first  ;D

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
The other change of course is Delph. What's happened to him is he injured or just dropped. He's not even on the bench now.

Offline MoetVillan

I struggle to see City or Chelsea having natural width.  they play through the middle and rotate around, a lot of what we have started doing.  I wouldnt mind relieving either of those teams their current (borrowed) titles, and returning them home

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
I think it's a combination of everything that the opening post suggested. Dropping N'Zogbia and Given seems to have made a difference although Baker can consider himself unlucky.

Another thing i think that has worked well is having two hard working midfielders in Bannan and Holman. They both cover a lot of ground. I like Bannan a lot. If he keeps his place, this could be the season where he develops into a really good player for us.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
The other change of course is Delph. What's happened to him is he injured or just dropped. He's not even on the bench now.

Just unlucky I think.  He scored and played well against Tranmere but hasn't had a look in since.  Maybe he will return V Man City in the next round of the CoC?

Offline pedro25

I was surprised PL picked Delfouneso and Herd over Ireland and Holman v Everton, albeit we were poor v West Ham, very odd decision, glad he has not done that again since.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
Considering players like Herd and Delph are on the sidelines now, and Albrighton and Dunne will be returning soon, it shows what competition there is in the squad.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal