collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What are the biggest reasons for the 180 difference since the first two weeks?  (Read 16098 times)

Offline ExclDawg

I was thinking of making this a poll, but figured most the votes would go one way.  So let us go with a percentage based, thing.

Here's the line-up from the first two weeks:
 West Ham: Given, Lowton, Vlaar, Clark, Baker, Holman, Delph, KEA, N’Zogbia, Ireland, Bent
 Everton: Given, Lowton, Vlaar, Clark, Baker, Herd, N'Zogbia, KEA, Bannan, Delfouneso, Bent

And the two weeks since:
 Newcastle: Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Clark, Lichaj, Holman, KEA, Ireland, Bannan, Weimann, Bent
 Swan City: Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Clark, Lichaj, Holman, KEA, Ireland, Bannan, Weimann, Bent

So who/what is the biggest reason for the change in form?

You've got Given changing to Guze ... which is probably the biggest reason for me.  Maybe 50% or more?  He just seems to control the back line better, come out for crosses more, and generally just yells the word "Away!" much better.

There's Baker morphing to Lichaj, which probably has had the least impact.

While Holman played in Week 1, he seems to have established his role in the midfield, which has also helped immensely.  Probably the second biggest reason for the change in form.

There's also the addition of Weiman to the front, the subtraction of N'Zog to the middle, and the general change of formation to what seems more of a straight 4-4-2.  All good reasons.

So, what do you guys think are the biggest reasons?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
They've had more time together to train and get used to the new system Lambert wants them to play 85%. Guzan 10%. New players settling into the PL as they play more 5%.

Offline The Man With A Stick

You can't polish a turd overnight.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
Yeah, time. And, as the Toon game was after the transfer deadline, maybe the flurry of new signings was a bit of a gee up.

But mainly time to get used to new tactics and gel as a team.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 05:39:56 PM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
Darren Bent getting more involved has clearly had a good impact.

He could have had 2 assists v Swansea if Vorn didn't make a good save from Weimann and Benteke didn't flop 6 yards out.

I think the combination of the midfield 4 has helped.

Dropping NZogbia has also helped IMO

Offline sonlyme

I'm with the shin.

Time to iron shit out is what they have had.

Not a question of picking or dropping individual players - more one of gelling as a unit - and then picking the player in form.

On another note - Whilst it maybe true that one cannot polish a turd overnight - one can, roll it in glitter - I would refer you to Messers Sullivan and Gold.  :o
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 05:57:29 PM by sonlyme »

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
the only bad game was against Everton, it will happen again this season.

the main thing is the direction we are heading, and time being given to get to where we want to be

Offline eastie

They've had more time together to train and get used to the new system Lambert wants them to play 85%. Guzan 10%. New players settling into the PL as they play more 5%.

This sums things up nicely.
Nice that lambert has quickly spotted the dross ie, Hutton Collins ,warnock and replaced all 3.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Replacing N'Zogbia. With him in the team it's been like playing with ten men.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Replacing N'Zogbia. With him in the team it's been like playing with ten men.
Agree with this. We have 11 players committed to making a difference. Commitment and graft go a long way and, as the season progresses, the quality will really start to shine through, too.
we've had talented players in the club for the last 3 seasons: the difference is that we now have a decent manager and players with a desire to win, it seems to me.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
and playing football properly and no negative crap.
 Plus about half of dozen new players waiting for their chance.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Time as a unit in competitive matches, beginning to understand the tactical requirements. Also bringing in the new players has brought in a buzz around the club.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

Nzogbia losing the ball 75% of the time has been eliminated (not playing him in latter games)  Guzan`s domination of his box. Confidence slowly being installed with more games and training. And now the arrival of Benteke (especially scoring on debut) .....

Offline ExclDawg

You can't polish a turd overnight.

While I agree with the overall sentiment that it's going to take time to learn PL's system and gel as an overall unit ... I think it's more than a coincidence that they completely flipped the script in just a weeks time between the Everton and Newcastle game ...  and that's when we happened to make 5 personnel changes to the starting 11.

Online Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
Changing the dugouts on Match Day.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal