collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Goals since football began in 92  (Read 8372 times)

Offline Phil from the upper holte

Re: Goals since football began in 92
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
Keep creating chances like we did the weekend and someone is going to get a real hammering

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 08:42:23 AM »
Even TSM's team could get 27 goals, so hopefully we will get it before christmas.

It's 37, I was thinking 27 was woefully low even by last year's standards so I checked. Still crap of course.
Even during the Little era we didn't exactly bang them in, a lot of our success was built on solid defence. The only times I can really recall us being free scoring in the PL era is 92/93 and 07/08.

O'Neill's second season we scored over 70. 73? I think. 6-0 at Derby 5-1 v Blues etc and that was rewarded with 6th spot which you'd expect better really.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 08:50:28 AM »
Newcastle were lucky enough to have Alan Shearer, and keep hold of him as long as they did.  I'd hazard a guess that our top Premier League scorer is Dwight Yorke, with probably a 100 fewer goals than Shearer.

I had posted earlier, Shearer and Yorke were the respective players.

I make 973 before the season started. Shows how few we've scored over the years if Newcastle got there before us despite 2 seasons less in the PL.

I did think about that and we do seem to have more of a recent tradition of being low goal scorers anyway. But mainly they had one person get 148 goals for them, our highest was 60.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 10:35:18 AM »
Newcastle were lucky enough to have Alan Shearer, and keep hold of him as long as they did.  I'd hazard a guess that our top Premier League scorer is Dwight Yorke, with probably a 100 fewer goals than Shearer.

I make 973 before the season started. Shows how few we've scored over the years if Newcastle got there before us despite 2 seasons less in the PL.

I did think about that and we do seem to have more of a recent tradition of being low goal scorers anyway. But mainly they had one person get 148 goals for them, our highest was 60.

I'd guess Cole got more than 60 for them as well.

Strikers isn't our problem though as through the years our strikers are probably fairly close to those of most of the other sides outside Man U and Arsenal.  I'd suggest we've scored more than average from defense as well over the years.  Where we've struggled is with goals from midfield.  I can only think of Taylor and Hitz who've contributed a lot from the middle Barry got a few from penalties but we've never had loads from free play.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 11:34:46 AM »

Strikers isn't our problem though as through the years our strikers are probably fairly close to those of most of the other sides outside Man U and Arsenal.  I'd suggest we've scored more than average from defense as well over the years.  Where we've struggled is with goals from midfield.  I can only think of Taylor and Hitz who've contributed a lot from the middle Barry got a few from penalties but we've never had loads from free play.

Mid 40's for them in the league. Beardsley was next highest after Shearer on 48.

All our PL Goal scorers I believe are here but although they have acknowledged Clark's goal against Newcastle they have not listed KEA's against Everton. Also no Lowton or Benteke at the moment.

Hendrie was also one of our top midfield scorers as well. Ridgwell must have been our most prolific defender scoring 6 in under a year but he probably caused 10 against at the other end.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 11:48:49 AM »

Hitzlsperger didn't score many. I'd be surprised if he scored ten league goals in all his time at the club. However, he only seemed to score absolute pearlers.

Offline mal

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 12:38:35 PM »
Hitzlsperger didn't score many. I'd be surprised if he scored ten league goals in all his time at the club. However, he only seemed to score absolute pearlers.

8 goals in 99 appearances

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 12:58:09 PM »
Nice to see Wigan Athletic 3 points from overtaking Small Heath...

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2012, 01:12:26 PM »
Statto central here....scroll down to the 'all time' league table (since 92)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-time_FA_Premier_League_table#All-Time_FA_Premier_League_Table

Offline paul_e

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2012, 01:29:37 PM »

8 goals in 99 appearances

I seemed to remember him getting a fair few in 03-04 but checking it he only got 5, was our top scorer from midfield though, which kinda backs up my point.

Forgot about Hendrie and purposely left Ashley Young out as he often played further forward anyway.  Still think there's a lot of midfielders on that list who have a really poor goals-to-games return for us.

Offline AlwaysAVFC

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 01:31:11 PM »
Even TSM's team could get 27 goals, so hopefully we will get it before christmas.

It's 37, I was thinking 27 was woefully low even by last year's standards so I checked. Still crap of course.
Even during the Little era we didn't exactly bang them in, a lot of our success was built on solid defence. The only times I can really recall us being free scoring in the PL era is 92/93 and 07/08.

O'Neill's second season we scored over 70. 73? I think. 6-0 at Derby 5-1 v Blues etc and that was rewarded with 6th spot which you'd expect better really.

It may have been better but we had our run of no wins in March. But in the Goals for column it was a bit scewed by April when as you say 6-0 at Derby 5-1 v Blues as well as 4-0 against Bolton and a 2-2 against Everton

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2012, 06:22:30 AM »

It may have been better but we had our run of no wins in March. But in the Goals for column it was a bit scewed by April when as you say 6-0 at Derby 5-1 v Blues as well as 4-0 against Bolton and a 2-2 against Everton

Even so, for me personally that season I enjoyed going to Villa Park the most since 92-93, even more than 95-96 when we had a better season. I thought that we were actually going to challenge for silverware. Oh well, never mind!

Offline paul_e

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2012, 02:09:52 PM »

Even so, for me personally that season I enjoyed going to Villa Park the most since 92-93, even more than 95-96 when we had a better season. I thought that we were actually going to challenge for silverware. Oh well, never mind!

it was the following season for me.  08-09 we looked like we were comfortably going to make the top4 but losing Laursen and the effect of Moscow on the fans killed the season, 1 bad luck, 1 poor judgement from the manager, but how different might things have been for the last few years without those 2 incidents, and how different would our opinion of MoN be...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal