collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Worst awaydays past and present.  (Read 57784 times)

Offline andyaston

Worst awaydays past and present.
« on: September 17, 2012, 09:35:12 PM »
What in your opinion is the worst present awayday? Also, what was your grimmest from the past?

Mine;

Past
Oldham Athletic, grim little shed of a stadium, horrible concrete block of an uncovered terrace behind the goal with no facilities what so ever. I went in  the month of April and it felt like a Seberian winter, which was probably why in those days they had a plastic pitch. We lost 3-0 in a quarter final and i've hated the place since. Horrible town aswell.

Present
Has to be Old Trafford. Nowhere to drink around the ground for away fans. Totally sanitized football experience with a lot of their support being daytrippers from all parts of the globe (although they still have great local support). The away end is high up in a corner so you cant be seen by the TV camereas so, on MOTD the support from our lot is heard but not seen. We never get much there even if we play well they will score a late winner or the ref will help them out.

One thing I will say is I do feel a little sorry for their actual Manchester based loyal fans who have the gloryhunter bit to put up with. Its not their fault middle class twats from the home counties support them.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
Re: Worst awaydays past and present.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 09:42:08 PM »
Past:

I remember going to Grimsby a few years back, a shitty horrible away end that was bloody dangerous. The exits were nowhere near big enough. Of course they don't play in Grimsby either but Cleethorpes, which makes West Super Mare look like the Dominican Republic.

Present: I haven't been to many away games in recent years, can't really afford it, but the likes of Middlesbrough, Derby, and Bolton in their identikit stadiums and goal celebration music annoys the shit out of me. I agree about Man Utd, you can add Chelsea to that list as well just for their fucking ridiculous pricing.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 09:45:49 PM »
Past
Ayresome Park.Had the pleasure of doing it twice in 87-88.The 1st time in the cup with about 200 brave soul's.
Present
Ricoh Arena.
Good if you want to play a game of poker or do the weekly shop.Shit as a football ground.

Offline andyaston

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 09:50:36 PM »
Past:

I remember going to Grimsby a few years back, a shitty horrible away end that was bloody dangerous. The exits were nowhere near big enough. Of course they don't play in Grimsby either but Cleethorpes, which makes West Super Mare look like the Dominican Republic.

Present: I haven't been to many away games in recent years, can't really afford it, but the likes of Middlesbrough, Derby, and Bolton in their identikit stadiums and goal celebration music annoys the shit out of me. I agree about Man Utd, you can add Chelsea to that list as well just for their fucking ridiculous pricing.
I remember going to Grimsby in the FA Cup, think it was the 1994/95 season. Their main end (pontoon end) ran on the pitch after the game towards us lot in the away area, thankfully the police stopped them, well dodgy after the game aswell. Great fish and chips though.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 10:10:14 PM »
Grimsby are never going to figure highly in the annals of hooliganism but I know a few who say it was no walk in the park.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 10:20:51 PM »
16.09.2002, vile night.

Offline bertlambshank

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 10:25:33 PM »
Grimsby are never going to figure highly in the annals of hooliganism but I know a few who say it was no walk in the park.

It wasn't I can remember some young villa doing a bit of pavement dancing not thinking they would come,and they did.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 10:29:36 PM »
Past
Ayresome Park.Had the pleasure of doing it twice in 87-88.The 1st time in the cup with about 200 brave soul's.
Present
Ricoh Arena.
Good if you want to play a game of poker or do the weekly shop.Shit as a football ground.

Were you there at the televised league game? I always remember a union flag with 'Villa Revolution' written on it,and as a 9 year old being really impressed!

Offline bertlambshank

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 10:38:41 PM »
Yep,Darlington train station at 3am was a laugh.The tramps smelt that bad the local plod took pity on us and opened the ticket office for us to sleep in.

Offline andyaston

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 11:29:35 PM »
Yep,Darlington train station at 3am was a laugh.The tramps smelt that bad the local plod took pity on us and opened the ticket office for us to sleep in.

Blimey those tramps in the north east must be vile

Offline bertlambshank

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 11:33:25 PM »

Blimey those tramps in the north east must be vile
I hadn't had a wash for 12 hours It could of been me.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 12:00:27 AM »
Past
The Sty, Highfield Road, Selhurst Park, Kenlworth Road.

Present
Fratton park 

Offline Damo70

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 08:20:54 AM »
God knows how many times I've been to Selhurst Park to see us play Charlton, Palace and Wimbledon. Crap to get to and crap when you get there. My first visit was the infamous Charlton game on Easter Monday '87. No further visit has been as bad as that but the only good day I ever had there was the day of Dalians umbrella goal. I only went to Kenilworth Road once and that was in the Big Ron days and one visit there is one too many. The old Manor Ground Oxford was pretty grim too, especially when you have just lost a semi final there.

Offline Kingthing

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 08:39:48 AM »

Highfield Road, Rain, Micky Quinn, 0-3

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 09:48:16 AM »
Tranmere away in 1994. We were crap, the weather was crap, the away end was basically a slope of smoothed down cement and every time Tranmere scored (which was quite often) we were showered with coins by the Tranmere fans in the next enclosure.

But we had the last laugh. Hooray!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal