collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by ez
[Today at 12:07:46 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:48:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 11:45:03 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:35:05 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Matthew Lowton  (Read 140884 times)

Online nigel

Re: Matthew Lowton
« Reply #660 on: August 22, 2016, 08:38:45 PM »
Perhaps it is a case of Lowton has benefitted from some proper coaching and has improved - Villa did have a remarkable gift for turning decent players into crap. Hopefully those days are in the past.

My thoughts, too.

He was very good going forward, could certainly cross a ball and he could read the game pretty well.
If only he'd have had some proper defensive coaching.
As you say, he joined us during a period where we turned decent players to crap.

I don't know what you mean when you claim he read the game well when his positional sense was absolutely appalling. Also I don't go with the "poor coaching" routine that some of our fans spout regarding the last 6 years either. We just bought inferior players not fit for the PL. Claiming its down to poor coaching sounds like a convenient excuse to me.

You obviously thought Lambert a good coach then?
After his first season we should have kicked on, the players bought in, and through, didn't look that out of place in the Prem, certainly easy mid table standard. Every one went backwards in the second season. That can only be down to coaching.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #661 on: August 22, 2016, 08:41:50 PM »
Since Houllier left up to the end of last season, how many players have improved at the Villa besides Delph and Benteke? We must be talking about 50 odd players in 5 years and I can think of 2 that improved. No matter how bad you think our transfer policy was in that time, it shows there has been something fundamentally wrong with the coaching for years regardless of who was manager.

Good point but I think we also failed some of our players by not bringing in some players with determination and fighting spirit.  We were left with a team of boys v men.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #662 on: August 22, 2016, 08:42:41 PM »
Perhaps it is a case of Lowton has benefitted from some proper coaching and has improved - Villa did have a remarkable gift for turning decent players into crap. Hopefully those days are in the past.

My thoughts, too.

He was very good going forward, could certainly cross a ball and he could read the game pretty well.
As you say, he joined us during a period where we turned decent players to crap.

I don't know what you mean when you claim he read the game well when his positional sense was absolutely appalling. Also I don't go with the "poor coaching" routine that some of our fans spout regarding the last 6 years either. We just bought inferior players not fit for the PL. Claiming its down to poor coaching sounds like a convenient excuse to me.

After his first season we should have kicked on, the players bought in, and through, didn't look that out of place in the Prem, certainly easy mid table standard. Every one went backwards in the second season. That can only be down to coaching.

Or not so good players having a one off season. Like a really shit version of Leicester.

Online nigel

« Reply #663 on: August 22, 2016, 08:55:59 PM »

My thoughts, too.

Or not so good players having a one off season. Like a really shit version of Leicester.

Fair point, and I could accept one, or even two, one season wonders, but not all together, surely?

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #664 on: August 22, 2016, 09:37:14 PM »
Lowton is was better than any of our current options at right back.
No idea why he went from OK, to poor but ad you say we managed to make players regress.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #665 on: August 22, 2016, 09:44:57 PM »
Lambert was limited.
Lowton was not a very good defender, but he could have been improved by good coaching.
I think people need to move on. Always going on about old players after a few good games and wishing them to come back....

:)

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #666 on: August 22, 2016, 11:02:09 PM »
No idea why he went from OK, to poor but ad you say we managed to make players regress.

Wasn't there a breaking down of the relationship over that summer. Something about whether he lived in Sheffield or something. His Mrs was on twitter about it.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #667 on: August 22, 2016, 11:25:32 PM »
Reasonable going forward but a poor defender. I'll remember his positives though - a wonder goal at Stoke and an amazing individual performance at home to Sunderland when we gave them a real good hiding.

I thought he played fairly well first season...certainly better than Bennett looked.

Started to fall out of favour second season...and all I remember from him in 14/15 was being skinned by Young for the Falcao goal.

Still rated him a little bit more than many of lambert's signings so no huge surprise to me he's doing fine in less pressure at Burnley.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #668 on: August 22, 2016, 11:35:32 PM »
Lowton wasn't a terrible footballer but his biggest weakness was lack of pace which meant he regularly got skinned by quick wingers.  Totally agree with Paul_e about coaching, scouting, and fitness all being sub standard at least since Houllier left.  but the failure to develop our own youngsters goes back much further than that.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #669 on: August 22, 2016, 11:48:47 PM »
It's hard to think of a player that's even slightly improved in their time with us of late. Fullbacks especially, all make a bright start then rapidly get shitter right before our eyes.

From Warnock until today, they turn up looking a great investment but within a few months they get Villaised. If only it was the full backs.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #670 on: August 23, 2016, 11:44:32 AM »

Wasn't there a breaking down of the relationship over that summer. Something about whether he lived in Sheffield or something. His Mrs was on twitter about it.
this was also when bullying was common under the Lambert regime.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #671 on: August 23, 2016, 12:21:43 PM »
It's hard to think of a player that's even slightly improved in their time with us of late. Fullbacks especially, all make a bright start then rapidly get shitter right before our eyes.

From Warnock until today, they turn up looking a great investment but within a few months they get Villaised. If only it was the full backs.

I said somewhere else recently, no one else could have spent so much on potential and seen 99.999% of it turn to utter shit over the last few years and the few players we've had through the doors with some pedigree go backwards at an alarming rate.  Even if we'd just been lobbing darts at board with random players posted on it you'd expect a better rate of return, all things being equal.

Offline Jarpie

« Reply #672 on: August 23, 2016, 12:49:45 PM »

this was also when bullying was common under the Lambert regime.

I'd love to read the whole story behind the scenes during the Lambert Era but I doubt we'll get it unless someone writes the tell all style book.

Lowton had probably the most potential from Lambert signings after Benteke but looks to have been badly mismanaged.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal