collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 10:33:16 PM]

NSWE Investment by dave.woodhall
[Today at 10:29:04 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 10:27:37 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 10:16:54 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[Today at 09:42:35 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:40:37 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 09:40:00 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Your interest in the villa  (Read 28182 times)

Offline richardhubbard

Your interest in the villa
« on: September 04, 2012, 12:29:31 PM »
I have personally till this late summer got a bit apethetic towards the villa. Club I have supported for 33 years, but over last 2 years got a bit tired of seen what been happening to our club and attending matches less and less to the point I felt forced to go to the spurs game last season

Personally have started taking my kids to watch non league football at stockport as it is close to home, relatively cheap and good fun ( plus it stop's them wanting to watch the red and blue shite of salford and manchester)

But I have to admit watching the highlights on Sunday, hearing Paul Lambert in interview and knowing nothing about our new side have re kindled my interest , I know this season going to be different and could be difficult but I have got interest level again that I had in 1995 and 2005

How everyone one else feel?

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Your interest in the villa
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 12:33:16 PM »
Near enough exactly the same, Richard.

Offline richardhubbard

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 12:35:42 PM »
Legion first time in a while I purchased tickets without feeling why?

Offline tauntonvilla

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 12:48:33 PM »
I don’t crave it like I used to. Didn’t rush to a telly at full time Sunday, don’t drop everything to get to a game. I do however really look forward to my monthly journey up to VP with some good pals and a few beers before the game. I’m feeling optimistic under PL guidance and feel for the fist time in a good few years, feel were in good hands. I look forward to it yes, but it doesn’t control my life like it used to.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 12:54:10 PM »
Permanent semi.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 12:54:40 PM »
Still unhealthily obsessed as I always have been and would bet money on always will be. They got right under my skin 40-odd years ago and have never left, the bastards. Although finances and two new babies have curtailed my attendance somewhat, it's only a momentary lapse in my condition.

Any excuse:

In a momentary lapse in my condition
Left me tumbling down into a deep despair
Lost and dazed so I had no real recollection
Until the rain had cleared the air.

When you wake to find that everything has left you
And the clothes you wear belong to someone else
See your shadow chasing off towards the shoreline,
Drifting into emptiness.

Like a child too small to reach the front-door handle
Maybe just too scared to see what I might find,
Now I feel I'm strong enough to take the slow ride
Not knowing when I will arrive.

There are bullrushes outside my window
And their leaves whisper words in the breeze
For tomorrow I'll walk to the harbour
And catch the first boat that's coming in.

I do believe I'm going home,
I don't call this place my own,
I'm missing what I had,
Happy times and sad,
More than I ever thought could be.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 01:08:05 PM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 12:55:43 PM »
Last season was a real low, but this year is the exact opposite for so many reasons.  Even though there will probably some bad performances/results along the way as the team learns.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
I'm more excited about this season than I have been for ages, probably because there's a genuine sense of the unknown but also because success would be two fingers up to wankers like Robbie Savage who have written us off because we haven't spent our money on their Premier League journeymen mates.

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 01:08:07 PM »
Unfortunately, due to other circumstances, I have very little interest in football, including the Villa, however it has been coming for a long long time. They will never leave me and I was at the Everton Home  game, but the excitement that I once had has pretty much gone.  I'm still considering a half season ticket, so I can start making a day of the Home games. That might bring me back round, but it's not feasible at the moment.

I hate modern football. I hate the Sky hype and that by and large, only a few teams will ever win anything. Wasn't like that when I was a lad...

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 01:09:37 PM »
Last season was the lowest point as a supporter for some time, it didn't effect my attendance in any way I just resigned myself to the fact we were never going to be in the top 6 for sometime to come.  That didn't make me lose my interest but just had me bored at what we were dishing up

Even with the first 2 league games we lost this season I feel there is something different, something building, so much so that a point at Newcastle is more than just a point.  We look like we can compete and we look like we may get back to where we were a few years ago but by looking better than we did then. 

There's an optimism now but my interest is the same as ever.

Offline Richie

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 01:11:48 PM »
I didn't bother renewing my season ticket last season for the first time in over 30 years. Still ended up going to the vast majority of the home games (although the vast majority were painful viewing and no regrets about not giving them my money for a season ticket).

However, I'm back in the fold this season and although the Everton match wasn't much fun, Sunday's performance and result has given me a bit of hope that this season will be better.

I don't let a defeat destroy my weekend like it used to............................. but the fact is the Villa is like a drug to me that I know I will be hooked on for life.

Offline JingleJangle

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 01:13:29 PM »
Last time i had a season ticket was 8 years ago as i just lost interest in going to watch the matches and from time to time if some one i knew had a ticket spare i would go along but never be impressed with what i saw.

This year how ever i have decided to get a season ticket as i am hoping anything is better than last year and i want to be there to watch the beginning of the evolution of what should be a turning point for us.

First game Everton dissapointed me but hopefully these transfers and the small international break will give PL some time to mould together what he thinks will get us through this season where he can then carry on working to make us better.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 01:13:36 PM »
I'd agree Richard. The performance at the weekend showed what I've been desperate to see from Villa for years, passing and possession football with a real attacking threat. I've got plenty of optimism along with the unknown but potentially exciting new players, all who look hungry to succeed. Those players may succeed and may not, but I'd rather take that chance than have guaranteed mediocrity.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 01:15:15 PM »
I think the league cup final defeat to Man Utd in 2010 was the last reminder that we really had become John Gregory's Villa again under O'Neill. I didn't like the Gregory years much and had finally lost interest at that point. Obviously since then it's got far worse, but thanks to Lambert and his dealings this summer, together with watching the highlights of an energetic, ball passing and hard working looking team on Sunday, i'm now the most excited i have been since before that game in 2010. I think he'll build a decent team here that can play football.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 01:20:33 PM »
I fell out of love with the game over recent years but not AVFC, last season was my first without a season ticket since 1993/94 (not because of TSM but due to becoming a daddy and the accompanying financial restraints). I miss going down every week and even last year I missed it.

I truly believe it's a bond for life!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal