collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Guzan  (Read 60036 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Guzan
« on: September 02, 2012, 09:15:51 PM »
I thought Brad deserved his own topic after today, as in my opinion he was excellent.  His handling from crosses was great, he commanded his area well and could have done nothing about their goal.  I hope he keeps his place for some time to come.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Guzan
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 09:19:47 PM »
I thought (no specific evidence, just a feeling) I sensed Lambert was looking for the slightest reason to bring Guzan in, and wasn't at all surprised to see him start today after last week's traumas.

He should keep it as long as he deserves to.

Offline RossLeach

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 09:20:15 PM »
I was really pleased when we re-signed him (mainly on the basis of the Stoke games) and I'm delighted that PL is picking on merit as I think he's the better of the two on crosses

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 09:20:51 PM »
I was glad he got his chance to be honest, thought he was brilliant, its nice to have a keeper who commands the area and handles the ball well, must have given the defence some great confidence

Offline Karl Bridges

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 09:20:54 PM »
His whole game looked solid. It will take a huge amount of pressure off a young back 4 to have a keeper that will dominate his area.

Online john2710

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 09:22:28 PM »
Credit where it's due, Guzan was excellent today. Coming out for crosses took a lot of pressure off the back four. Great save at the end too. 

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 09:23:15 PM »
Given his age and wages I think will see him moved on if possible at the end of the season.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 09:33:01 PM »
He came for loads of balls into the box and looked assured doing so.  For once in a long while, today I thought, we don't look like conceding from a corner. 

It's Given's place to try and win back now.

Offline supertom

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 09:34:18 PM »
Bosnich. Simple as that. I've said it before many times, and that's about the Peace Cup a few years back against Juve. He was superb that game. Evoked Bosnich at his best, particularly Sunderland in the Cola cup. Really commanding. Confident in everything he did. That was the first 90 (120) minutes of getting a really good look at Guzan for me. Then he had the Sunderland game too which was Bos-esque.

I think for many, his poor games against Big Sam's Blackburn side really made his stock fall. I'll be honest, I doubted after that. He just got a rude awakening to how physical the English game can be. He was still coming for everything with as much confidence as before, but couldn't deal with the buffeting.

For me, last season he came back and was very good. On merit he deserved to keep his place once Given returned, but it never happened.
For me he has a few things in his locker over Shay:
Commands his area.
Good aerially, and aggressive. If there's a high ball within 10 yards of him, he'll go for it 9/10.
Handling. He catches and keeps hold of a lot more than Given and actually a lot of keepers, who opt for punch or parry first.
Vocal. He's always pushing his defence. They always know where he is and he's always organising. Shay's always been one of the quieter keepers.

Not suggesting I don't rate Given. Always been a fan. But he's 36 now, and Guzan's a potential stopper for the next 5-10 years. Shay's one of the best shot stoppers in the business, very agile, but to some extent, gives himself more to do by not cleaning up as much outside the 6 yard box when he can. There's often spectacular from Given, but you get that with Guzan with more bread and better alongside.

This could actually work out as being Lamberts best signing.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 09:36:27 PM by supertom »

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 09:45:15 PM »
I thought his command of the area was the best aspect of his display, it made has massively more solid and he was excellent.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 09:57:35 PM »
He's an aggressive keeper.

I like aggressive keepers.

Offline gervilla

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 09:58:40 PM »
If it wasn't for those shakey performances v Blackburn he probably would have been No.1 before now.
Keep up the good work Brad. It's yours to loose now.

Offline FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 09:59:36 PM »
Came out for a lot of balls that I think Given would have left for the centre backs to deal with and probably would have cost us a goal.I am pretty sure he came for a cross second half and kneed Lowton in the back for his sins -bet he has a big briuse to show for it tomorrow

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 10:11:59 PM »
He deserved his start and I hope he continues to do well for us.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 10:14:22 PM »
He should keep the shirt now until he deserves to be dropped. I'm a big fan of the idea once you have the shirt and play well in it you keep it until your form dips.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal