collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The demise of the Academy?  (Read 14934 times)

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
Re: The demise of the Academy?
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2012, 06:33:58 PM »
Which one - yours? Nor me.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2012, 06:40:01 PM »
In terms of converting potential, they've not exactly been helped by a succession of managers who were either reluctant to give  young players a chance or were so crap that they mis-used them and the side was poor. Provided that Lambert can stick around for a good number of years and the philosophies and infrastructure that are put in place during his stay remain, we should see promising young players adapt to the first team.
I'd certainly agree with you with MON and TSM, but is it a coincidence that Bannan and Albrighton have had the best form of their career (so far) under Houllier, another manager who wanted a more passing style than the other two?

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2012, 07:54:46 PM »
The point wasn't just about who the managers were but also the point that there's been no stability. Finally they have a manager who should be around for a while.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2012, 08:39:54 PM »
We done well with our academy but we need to set a standard template for whole club in footballing style and system. We also need to find way to turn very good prospects into world class players. I hope PL and his Germans method and new coaches will help. It just need a little shake up.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2012, 08:41:34 PM »
The first team does (which it is getting). The academy system is fine.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2012, 08:53:44 AM »
If there is a criticism of the academy lads then i'd suggest the size of the contracts they've been given before they've established themselves as first team regulars dulls their hunger for success. I remember reading  that Luke Moore was (allegedly) on £17,000 a week when he was 19 and being used mainly from the bench. Compare that to the likes of Westwood who'd only be getting a fraction of that as club captain at Crewe and views a move to Villa as his big chance at cracking the big time.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2012, 11:33:06 AM »
I know what you mean but there was massive interest in Luke and we had to ensure he stayed. Hence his first pro contract being larger than typical.
Maybe the size of the contract contributed to his attitude problems which is the only thing stopping him from being a top player. It still annoys me greatly how spectacularly he has bombed when players with a fraction of his natural talent are thriving.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2012, 11:47:44 AM »
I know what you mean but there was massive interest in Luke and we had to ensure he stayed. Hence his first pro contract being larger than typical.
Maybe the size of the contract contributed to his attitude problems which is the only thing stopping him from being a top player. It still annoys me greatly how spectacularly he has bombed when players with a fraction of his natural talent are thriving.

That's the problem.If we hadn't given him the contract and he'd left and gone on to be a star elsewhere then we'd be up in arms at the perceived stinginess of the board. I suppose in the grand scheme of things Luke Moore is a success for the academy as we sold him for £3/3.5m? His brother's demise though is even greater.What a waste of ability for the two of them.

Offline badluckeric(gates)

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2012, 11:49:23 AM »
Don't quote me but I think PL has said or hinted that he likes the lower league youngsters as they've played competetively against men rather than against other kids. (basically probably had lumps kicked out of them and therefore more likely to be unfazed).
Then it dawned on me that our acadamy is superb but the loaning out bit is crucial rather than expecting them to come in and do a job.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2012, 11:53:03 AM »
I'm sure that if we'd had a bigger squad and/or less injuries, more of our current crop of kids would have been loaned out by now.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2012, 11:55:35 AM »
To be fair who of the current first team who've graduated from the academy haven't been loaned out to lower league clubs? I can't think of anyone other than Albrighton, but i'm not sure he hasn't.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2012, 11:58:41 AM »
Oh and Clark hasn't either

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2012, 11:58:50 AM »
Clark and Albrighton haven't been out on loan.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2012, 12:20:22 PM »
Agree entirely that the young players should go out on loan and for 6 months/season long not just a month.  David Pleat said on radio the other night when they were discussing size of squads that Chelsea have 14 players out on loan already this season!

Offline NiiLamptey

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2012, 12:36:44 PM »
I know a lad who played for Aston Villa under 12's and his strike partner was Daniel Sturridge...

The only player in that team that is in the premier league is Danial Sturridge, the rest are not part of the villa squad or any other Prem Squad to my knowledge...

Point being I dont think many that come through our youth systems actually come through our youth system - we bring them  in from other teams when they are much oder, e.g. bannan, wiemann, lichaj are not even english!

So I dont see what will change?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:40:49 PM by NiiLamptey »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal