collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The demise of the Academy?  (Read 14898 times)

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
The demise of the Academy?
« on: September 02, 2012, 12:01:59 PM »
Say the PL Experiment/Project works. And most of the lower league/foreign signings become at least competent regular first-teamers in a reasonably successful team. Could this spell the demise or dilution of the Academy.

Do we need to spend millions of pounds over many years recruiting and developing youngsters to produce every few seasons one average first team regular, a few emergency substitutes, and a relatively small revenue stream from sales to lower leagues. When instead in one transfer window, with good scouting, astute management and vision, and at modest outlay, we may be able to get 3 or 4 comparable, or even better, players "off-the-shelf".

And who's to say that even without the academy, the Agbonlahors, Albrightons, Gardners (ie the local lads) would still not come through the local junior and non-league/lower league teams, ready to be picked up, and probably "more hungry" and better grounded, at a later date.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: The demise of the Academy?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 12:04:19 PM »
No, we just need to have good relations with specific lower league clubs where our promising young players can go out on loan to further their development.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 12:42:47 PM »
Think loaning players out is important.  Arsenal do this extensively.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 01:02:17 PM »
I was thinking about this after the number of players Paul has brought in from lower Leagues and young players as well. Surely  these are the places that our home grown kids were supposed to fill but they are not quite up to it.
We do need to keep the Academy but a re-think is required. We do manage to find some talented youngsters however they fall short.  May be Paul can look at bringing in some German coaches  and methods for the specific  purpose of developing our youngsters.

Offline Yossarian

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 01:11:46 PM »
I expect that over the next few years the culture within the big clubs, ourselves included, will continue to move to more investment for the academies. That doesn't mean an astute manager who does his homework won't be able to find the bargains in the lower leagues but an investment in youth development is the future for Premiership clubs. Our own academy will continue to grow and evolve as this happens.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 01:37:44 PM »
Academy products have brought in a few million (8-10?) over the last few years, and Gabby has probably saved us a few million by establishing himself as a first team player.  So the academy  has probably covered it's costs, or at least a fair part of them.  But I think the emphasis of the academy is not quite right.  For me it's appeared more focused on building teams to win the youth league or cup and not enough on producing outstanding individuals with superb technique.     

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 01:39:28 PM »
Hopefully this will actually be the making of the academy and the players produced rather than what writes them off.

One of the threads has comments about the poison in the dressing room.  Being a young player brought into that can't be a good experience, by getting the attitude of the dressing room right with a manager who knows how to bring them through we'll hopefully be giving the academy products a much better chance of making the most of the opportunities.  I genuinely think the majority of the problems with the current academy players around the squad is that were really badly handled in the promotion to the first team process.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 03:39:50 PM »
The academy system is excellent. Ever had a tour? Breathtaking.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 06:29:52 PM »
I really don't see the Academy being scrapped. If anything, the fact that the first team are starting to play a similar style of football to the academy and reserve teams (from what I've heard) might mean that the youngsters won't have to adapt their game as much to fit in, meaning that it could become even more important. Also, as has been mentioned, it's likely to be a reasonably self-reliant, financially.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 06:33:23 PM »
I'd like to see us do more with Walsall. Get some of the lads out to get some first team experience away from Villa, but close enough that they can come back and train with Villa when needed and obviously not have the necessity of having to move them away from the area. Walsall would also benefit hugely too.

Players like Johnson, Siegrist and Burke, who are maybe ready for 1st team football would be ideal for both parties.

Offline Smoke

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 07:21:43 PM »
I think a key factor for deciding a club to partner with is the style of football that team/manager plays. I don't know if Walsall play a passing game or not but it would be a waste of time partnering a club that plays alladyce hoofball.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 08:53:58 PM »
Future players have to come from somewhere and no reason why they can't come from Bodymoor Heath.  All we have to do is make sure we pick the right youngsters. 

Anyway, the academy didn't do too bad today.  Bannan cross for Clark to head in. 

Offline N'Zimidy

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 09:04:19 PM »
The academy just showed its worth off yet again today.

Lichaj, Clark, Bannan, Weimann and then Gabby all putting in excellent performances. We have one of the best academies around and it doesn't matter who's in charge or who that manager buys, the academy will always bring through talent for the first team. That's something we can really be proud of.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 09:09:45 PM »
Academies work on the basis of producing one first team regular every few years. Ours has produced way more than that.

I'm worried we're relying too much on youth, but really, I can't even begin to see how we could think about downgrading the importance of the academy.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 09:59:58 PM »
Our academy is excellent and it will only be invested in more in coming years. Especially as our scouting system improves.
Some think it should be a machine spitting out wonderkids every few months, but that's not realistic.

The odd wonderkid will come along every now and then, but if we're producing good players that are either of use to us or are sold for decent money, it should be considered a success in my opinion. We have one of the best around and it should be developed further until its the best in the country and one of the best in Europe.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal