collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Where is acceptable to finish?  (Read 14407 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Where is acceptable to finish?
« on: September 01, 2012, 01:09:44 PM »
All the signings are in, we have a very young squad with plenty of promise, but are adapting to the new manager and way of things. Where do you think it is acceptable for us to finish this season?

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
Re: Where is acceptable to finish?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 01:11:27 PM »
17th.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 01:12:16 PM »
For PL's first season, avoiding relegation and showing continued improvement throughout the season.

Next season - top half

After that - competing for a European place

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 01:14:48 PM »
Yeah I agree.

Online TaxDodger

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 01:18:51 PM »
I'd like to finish around 10th, but realistically I think we have to be satisfied with just not getting involved in a relegation battle for Lambert's first season. Somewere around 14th will be acceptable, providing we improve a lot in the following seasons.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 01:27:09 PM »
I’d like us to not be looking over out shoulders in March.  Anywhere from 12th to 17th would be acceptable as long as the gap is big enough that we’re never in real danger.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 01:28:06 PM »
stay up for me .   12th bonus

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 01:37:19 PM »
The league title and both domestic cups, no more, no less. Otherwise, I want Lambert out within ten minutes of the season ending.

However, not getting relegated would do me as well.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 01:40:08 PM »
I think we need to be on 18 points come January to kick on from there.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 01:46:32 PM »
We've had three and arguably 4 seasons where the squad has declined. What has come in has not been as good as the players they replaced. Even at the height of O'Neill's tenure we looked short of overall numbers.

A step change in the way we play the game has also been long overdue.

This season, like the two preceding it, is about buying time whilst re-developing the squad. The only success that matters in terms of league position is to stay clear of the drop. To do so with comfort would be a bonus.

What's really needed is to come out of the season looking like an emerging football team showing promise of better things to come. Whether that's on the back of a 9th, 12th,15th or even 17th place finish doesn't make much difference.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 01:49:52 PM »
At least we have a manager who is intent on changing the club and looks like he has the backing of the fans in doing so.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 02:05:48 PM »
17th or above would suit me just fine.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 02:09:42 PM »
We're set for a tough season, I think. Or a tough few months at the very least.

There might be parallels with what Sir Brian did when he first came in.   The bulk of his signings in the first 12 months of his tenure were lower division or freshley relegated types, but they formed the cornerstone of a very good Villa side in the mid to late 90's.

In fact, it was only when BL tried to add stardust in the form of Curcic and Collywobbles that things started to go tits up. 

Past history tells us that Lowon, Bennett and Westwood aren't all going to go on and be big first team players for us.  But at the prices paid, if just two do that, it will be money well spent. And big money saved in the longrun.  There is something seriously wrong when you think that dross like Hutton and Warnock have attracted fees like £9 million and £8 million respectively in the past.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us struggling in and around the dead men in Nov/Dec. But that was true of both Swansea and Norwich at that time last year, and both finished the season strongly.  It's important to not get too downcast -providing we are actually trying to win games. Which will be in direct contrast to how we were set up under you know who.  I reckon Villa fans will forgive a lot if we're not going out just to keep the score down and killing the game as a spectacle.

Online mrastonvilla

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 02:13:11 PM »
Anywhere above the line. Although if we drop we need to stick with Lambert. Alot of damage has been caused to the club over the previous couple of seasons by getting shot of the manager (deservedly so in some cases) year on year.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 02:22:24 PM »
Anywhere above the line. Although if we drop we need to stick with Lambert. Alot of damage has been caused to the club over the previous couple of seasons by getting shot of the manager (deservedly so in some cases) year on year.

Know where you're coming from, but not for me.   Relegation should be completely unacceptable for Villa and anybody taking us down would have to go. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal