collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The summer signings  (Read 42386 times)

Offline beness

• GM : 21.01.2018
Re: The summer signings
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2012, 07:58:24 AM »
It really isn't only Savage who thinks we are relegation candidates.

As long as savage thinks that then I'll be happy to see him apologise at the end of the season.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2012, 08:02:05 AM »
I echo the comments above, having given 7/10.
My surprise in this is that he has kept faith with the CB he has. Don't get me wrong: I applaud that because I do think the youngsters we have who can play CB will do well.
Lambo has committed to gving youth a chance, and that is something that many people here have been asking to happen for a while. And at least we're not feeding the established mediocre players that have transferred for cray money.
If - out of the youngsters from the English lower leagues - we get 2 playing out of their skins and becoming established EPL players, and two become squad players, then I'll say "Well done; good job."
Benteke - I can't comment; have no idea but if he's made the good Belgian team already, that's a fair indicator.

Of all, I'd say that Holman might actually be the one that delights us most; he has an eye for the right pass and reads the game well.

Lambo's biggest challenges are: (i) to find the right blend - this could take a while, so our results could be ugly for a while; and (ii) injury to the experiecend squad members - if we lose one or more of Ron / KEA / Bent / Holman to injury I think we'll be in trouble.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 08:04:01 AM by Mister E »

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2012, 08:02:51 AM »
Can't give a mark out of ten, got no idea if it will work. Like others, would have liked some more Premier League experience.

Excited but a bit nervous too.

I'd agree with that.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2012, 08:04:26 AM »
7. The one who has got the most to lose after us is Lambert himself. Mess this up and the only way is down for him as well. He'll join the ever growing list of managers whose best job was us.

I'm going to buy into this (already had with the season tickets) but we've got to allow time, we may well lose tomorrow but lets get to Xmas first before we go to into panic mode.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 08:06:11 AM by lambdrew08 »

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2012, 08:06:51 AM »
                                                                  Guzan
                                                         (Given / Marshall)

Lowton                          Vlaar                          Baker                           Bennett
     (Lichaj / Hutton)                (Dunne)               (Clark / Williams)          (Stephens / Williams)

El Ahmadi
                                     (Clark / Herd / Delph / Westwood / Bannan)

Delph                                                                                     Holman
(Herd / Albrighton / Bannan / Carruthers)                             (Westwood / N'Zogbia / Gabby / Johnson)

Ireland
                                         (Bannan / N'Zogbia / Weimann)

Bent                                                 Benteke
                                   (Gabby / Weimann / Bowery / Holman / Burke)

All depending on systems, is this where we are at? Have I missed anyone?

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2012, 08:07:04 AM »
7 from me. Can't say I've really ever heard of any of them, but just glad we've got a few more faces in. I thought that was it after vlaar Lawton and el ahmadi. Bizarrely I think losing the first 2 matches may have helped lambert as it seems to have forced lerner's hand to get his wallet out. Of course they may have had a few more lined up anyway, but had we not lost the first two would we have signed another 4 players?

We've just got to be patient now while the squad settles down and a preferred starting 11 emerges. We are going to get turned over from time to time, I think that's inevitable really, but as long as we show steady signs of improvement I'll be happy.

I'm a bit more confident about my 9th placed pre-season prediction now than I was after last weekend.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 08:21:54 AM by robbo1874 »

Offline Steve Z

• GM : 07.03.2016
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2012, 08:16:12 AM »
                                                                  Guzan
                                                         (Given / Marshall)

Lowton                          Vlaar                          Baker                           Bennett
     (Lichaj / Hutton)                (Dunne)               (Clark / Williams)          (Stephens / Williams)

El Ahmadi

Delph                                                                                     Holman
(Herd / Albrighton / Bannan / Carruthers)                             (Westwood / N'Zogbia / Gabby / Johnson)

Ireland

I'd agree with that and who can't be excited by this, I believe we will have an exciting season ahead, If we finish 10th or higher, I'm well happy.

Offline tim

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2012, 08:22:32 AM »
I've gone 6 but maybe should have been a 7.
I like that we've taken a risk with the younger lads and out of all the signings, it's Bowery that i'm most keen to see as I'm really hoping for something out of the ordinary simply based on his sudden trajectory.
I'm also happy to not have been recycling the same names, just swapping players from other 'middle' premiership teams to another. Dempsey would have been great but i want to see exciting new names and I feel we have some.

Offline Legion

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2012, 08:24:57 AM »
                                                                  Guzan
                                                         (Given / Marshall)

El Ahmadi

Ireland

Impressive.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2012, 08:27:41 AM »
I said in anaother thread that, if we weren't bottom of the table, these signings would make much more sense and would be backed wholesale.  Because we are bottom they represent some element of risk.  Lambert will have to get every ounce of energy and effort out of the signings.  Good on him.  He clearly backs himself and I am happy for him/us to take the risk.  I think it'll work out in the longer term, even if that means a season of struggle, we're used to that!!  Longer term, I think we'll be just fine. Patience is needed and he'll get it from me.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
10/10

In Lambert we trust. Optimistic I am.

Offline frank black

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2012, 08:28:27 AM »
5 out of 10 for me. As that orange bloke Dickinson says, "the coin is in the air".

Signing players from lower divisions or lesser foreign leagues is always a risk. It will make an interesting experiment. I am in hope rather than expectation.

UTV

Offline enigma

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2012, 08:30:10 AM »
I went with a 6. It's a brave move by Lambert to place so much faith in youngsters and I am intrigued by how things will go for us this season but I'm a little worried too. I'd have liked one or two proven, experienced players in. Maybe if things aren't going so well by Xmas he'll dip back in and get them in January but it's a big ask pinning all your hopes on all these kids making it at this level.

Put me down as cautiously optimistic. Frankly, 17th place would do for me this season.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 08:31:46 AM by enigma »

Offline Legion

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2012, 08:31:46 AM »
10/10

Yoda? Is that you?

Offline frank black

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2012, 08:33:51 AM »
10/10