collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The summer signings  (Read 42383 times)

Offline N'Zimidy

Re: The summer signings
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 03:42:07 AM »
10/10 UTV SOTC.

Offline wellmace

• totally f'n mexico
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 04:04:53 AM »
I was pretty happy prior to the season starting, particularly with what I'd been hearing about Vlaar and El Ahmadi, but then got a bit jittery after the opening losses.

This past weeks signings are intriguing to say the least. The big positive that may not have been focused on too much is the relative low cost of the young English players we've drafted in - contrasting strongly with the wedge of cash thrown at the likes of Davies and Delph under MON.

It's also nice to get some numbers in - as the squad was looking threadbare. Now I feel we've managed to get some of the deadwood out, and get some hungry guys in - which I'm fully behind PL with.

The big test is still to come - will they cut the mustard? Hopefully having less pressure from big price tags, and getting the correct kind of nurturing and protecting from a man like Lambert will help them wonders. I'm particularly skeptical over this lad Bowery though - he's scored 10 goals in 80 appearances in League 2, so it's a real "feck it, let's give him a bash" type of signing. While I read Benteke has issues surrounding his attitude, so that's a concern.

So yeah, also 7/10 for me. But feeling more positive today then I did after the Everton game.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 04:25:56 AM »
Very brave approach from Lambert. The squad that finished last season certainly needed a complete overhaul and he has done that. But introducing young inexperienced players to a squad that has won something terrible like 1 league game in 18 is worrying.

Good to see a manager backing his own judgement though. More refreshing than buying solid players like Jarvis and Fletcher for ridiculous money. Id have preferred someone like Nzonzi to come in who has experience of holding his own in the league but Lambert has gone instead for Westwood. Lets hope it all works out. Bowery a bit like Enda Stevens is a shot to nothing. Plus he cant be any worse than Heskey was for last season. Lowton and Bennett again can only be an improvement on last season's full backs.

The squad badly lacked characters and Lambert has sought to rectify that with guys that have been captains of teams elsewhere. Westwood captain of Crewe at 21 must have something about him and Benteke seems like a John Carew enigmatic type that could be a folk hero at the club. Vlaar is a former captain of Feyenoord, Holman I think will be a useful player for us and has plenty of experience. Every player he has signed has seemed eager to come to the club and all will view it certainly as a step up.

But points on the board are what matters. We need to stop the rot pretty soon and even a point at Newcastle would be a start.

Offline VillaSpen

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 05:01:42 AM »
7/10. Really happy with the direction Lambert's looking at taking the side in the next few years. I said pre-season that I was hoping to see a few players come in that would be in and around the first team for a few years to come and I think that's exactly what's happened. A bit of experience and some young players from outside the Premier League that aren't commanding astronomical salary and are looking to prove themselves.

A few mates of mine were a bit worried that Michael Owen hadn't been snapped up and we hadn't tied up the Benteke deal yesterday. I don't believe that the glass-kneed has-been was ever on Paul Lambert's radar and that can only be a good thing. Also, as previously stated, seeing Jarvis, Fletcher, Joe Allen, Jack Rodwell and Charlie Adam move for more than they're worth makes me happy that we didn't get involved.

I think we'll see a big improvement in results around Xmas time and hopefully we can get a decent draw in the 3rd round of the FA Cup to give us a bit of momentum in that competition.

Offline ACVilla

• GM : 16.03.2017
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 06:14:19 AM »
Im quite surprised with the high numbers people are giving, we have not signed one proven Premier League footballer. Indeed most of the signings are people we have all never heard of.
I would dearly love to share your optimism but i just dont, hence my vote of 1. We NEEDED experience. In reality history proves that most of our youngsters (most of our team) wont make it.
If history is to be proved correct then we will be playing Championship football next year.
Lets hope we can rewrite the record books eh.

Offline Fin Feds Dad

• GM : 09.08.2016
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2012, 06:47:11 AM »
8 for me .

Shows that Lambert is here for the long haul too .

Young , hungry players vs experienced prem quality like benayoun (on £92,000 per week) is the way we HAD to go .

This will get the crowd on side even more .

(would have been a 10/10 if we could have shifted our 'international' full backs. )

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2012, 06:50:51 AM »
I've never seen any of them play before this season and I hadn't heard of the vast majority so I can't give a legitimate view. But his signings to date have at least appeared better than whet we've got.

I think we - including the board - are all placing a lot of emphasis on Lambert's ability to do what he did with Norwich. I have a lot of faith in him, but the premier league is db unforgiving place and villa fans are too.

We'll need to start gelling soon or the confidence will really wane. A good result this weekend would really help but i think that's going to be a tall order

Offline mike

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2012, 07:04:40 AM »
I am impressed by the optimism on here and I want us to do well so don't shout at me... we had a relegation squad and we needed experienced players, not necessarily marquee signings or stars, just solid Fulham/Stoke level players (trust me it hurts saying that) to keep us in the Premier League. I would have liked the full on project to wait until we are safe in this league. It really isn't only Savage who thinks we are relegation candidates.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2012, 07:05:31 AM »
I've never seen any of them play before this season and I hadn't heard of the vast majority so I can't give a legitimate view. But his signings to date have at least appeared better than whet we've got.

I think we - including the board - are all placing a lot of emphasis on Lambert's ability to do what he did with Norwich. I have a lot of faith in him, but the premier league is db unforgiving place and villa fans are too.

We'll need to start gelling soon or the confidence will really wane. A good result this weekend would really help but i think that's going to be a tall order

Totally agree with what Matt has said. I have no idea about anyone of his signings but I'm trusting Lambert's ability.

I will add that in this day and age of footballers of a certain pedigree and not always the best (ie Beye, Dunne) demanding ridiculous wages I'm glad we have gone down this route and it will be absolute a stroke of genius if Lambert pulls it off. It was the way many years back hunting out bargains in the lower leagues and I'm sure one of the reasons managers don't do it anymore is because they are scared to as instant success is demanded by fans and chairman alike. Because of this we need to give Lambert time and not start panicking after 2 games and start predicting relegation.

I'm very excited about this new look Villa, this season might be a struggle at times but so what, as long as we stay up and we are building for a better and more successful and more fluent way of playing football the better it will be for us.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2012, 07:34:39 AM »

A very risky selection, but the upside is very good. Not all of them will work out and getting them to bed in in the Premier League is going to be interesting (blending a new side is easier playing Hartlepool than having your arse handed you by Manchester City). A huge amount depends on the senior established players perfroming well and staying fit. Looks like he tried to mitigate some of that risk by buying Dempsey and I do wonder why there doean't seem to have been a Plan B for that experience.

With that lot I'd be happy with mid-table on the basis that they'll get better in following years. Time is nedded and I have faith in Lambert getting it right if given that time.

Offline supertom

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2012, 07:35:43 AM »
I'm pleased. One more experienced midfielder would have been nice. We clearly did look at 1-2 older heads, which never came off. For me, the key is, every single one of these signings seems to be here to achieve something, step up and really wants to be here. It's not merely a case of signing for money, or to get a hefty wage somewhere new having been frozen out their clubs (Dunne, Ireland). There's real hunger coursing throughout these signings.

And though we've signed youngsters from lower leagues, we have to remember that these boys have all played over 100 (or near enough) games in England. The style throughout the English leagues is physically similar. Once they adapt to the Prem pace, if they have the quality (I think they will) then they'll be fine. Likewise our foreigners have some from leagues not massively dissimilar to the Prem, and have qualities well suited to this league. Vlaar is made for the Prem, and so it seems is Benteke. Liking the look of KEA too. Holman I think will become a very reliable player too.

Offline pr_N'villa

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2012, 07:36:12 AM »
7/10

I think we have got a good mix of players in and i am looking forward to the next few months as the team starts to gel and play the football we all want to see.

Guzan - never really had a chance since signing. Gets dropped as soon as the established keeper comes back. I think he'll start against newcastle.

Lowton - has looked good since signing and i think he will get better once he has settled.

Concrete - no nonsense defender who can carry the ball and is strong in the tackle. No 'premeir league experience' but a very experienced player never the less.

Bennett - england u21 international. Havent seen him play but from what i have read very promising.

Westwood - crewe captain at 21, shows he can be a leader. May need time to settle. Hopefully will be a very good player.

El ahmadi - very talented player, will be signing of the season as he will only improve. (Experience see concrete).

Holman - Looks a very gifted player, technically 1 of our best. Felt the side improved against everton when he came on. (Experience see concrete).

Bowery - no risk, small fee. Big and strong. This is a wait and see signing, dont think we'll see much of him this season.

Benteke - hopefully the player we have been missing that will tie the midfield and forwards together. Strong, physical and would give us another dimension.

All in all very promising but we have still got dunne, gabby and albrighton to come back and we have a bit of depth now. We have got quality at the club its just a case of unlocking it (ireland, n'zogbia).

UTV

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2012, 07:38:59 AM »
Can't give a mark out of ten, got no idea if it will work. Like others, would have liked some more Premier League experience.

Excited but a bit nervous too.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 07:44:18 AM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline richardhubbard

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2012, 07:41:52 AM »
7 for me PL has clear vision but no idea how he puts this squad together

Offline supertom

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2012, 07:44:00 AM »
Can't give a mark out of ten, got no idea if it will work. Like others, would have liked some more Premier League experience.
To be honest, if we had Stan playing, this wouldn't bother me at all. I'm hoping though that now Stans in remission he'll be making plenty of visits to the club and helping out the young lads with plenty of advice. He's still club captain after all. I think Petrov can still be a big help to the squad, even off the pitch.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal