collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The summer signings  (Read 42499 times)

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
The summer signings
« on: September 01, 2012, 12:39:50 AM »
I know it's very early days, but how pleased are you with the players Lambert has brought in (and Holman)? I'm cautiously optimistic and think he probably did as well as he could with the budget he had. A quick reminder of those that have joined!

Ashley Westwood
Christian Benteke
Jordan Bowery
Joe Bennett
Ron Vlaar
Matthew Lowton
Karim El Ahmadi
Brett Holman

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: The summer signings
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 12:45:09 AM »
Lowton, Bennett and Westwood will hopefully fulfil their potential and add to Aston Villa England caps.

Ron Vlaar looks a really good signing. El Ahmadi looks a lovely footballer.

Benteke, not a clue, but he is a beastly looking gent, so hopefully can rough up some centre halves. Seems to be able to speak English (won't help with Lambert mind) but clearly has talent and is young, really young!

Bowery is a punt that might shock us all.

Holman not a clue.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 12:50:31 AM »
There are some very promising youngsters there, which is great for the future.
But....we need to stay in the Prem this year and if these kids can do it for us then great,; if not, Lambert's gonna get stick and the players likewise.
Although new to the Prem, Holman, Vlaar and El Ahmadi are no fools!
It's a long term (2/3/4 years) and some (including me!??) need to appreciate that.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 12:52:58 AM »
I am an old git but am pleased with the way Paul Lambert has gone about things. We have lost Cuellar and Collins, got concrete Ron in. Personally was sad to see Cuellar go, but as for Collins, not in the same class as Vlaar. Other than that, we have got what is being said as a very good left back in Bennett, top class midfielder in KEA, Holman will be good I reckon, Benteke has a good pedigree as has Westwood. Progress being made IMHO

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 12:53:48 AM »
7/10

Negatives: Perhaps not as much experience as I'd hoped, but a realistic chance that we'll recoup most of the money spent should things go wrong.

Positives:  Young, unknown players who are desperate to prove themselves on a bigger stage.  Could unearth a gem.

Certainly a different approach anyway, will make the next games interesting.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 12:58:23 AM »
and hopefully Nzogbia improves 100%   , Ireland shows us the talent he has ( and he might )  , Gabby sorts his shit out and Delph reaches his potential . we might be ok this season . 

we also have some promising youngsters in Weimann  Carruthers and Baker .

Im looking forward to this season.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 01:10:05 AM »
I'll go 7 because I trust Plumbutt, he has a track record of bringing through young, hungry players from lower leagues....but...will this work in The Premier League? We have no idea whether the Norwich thing was a one-off and might have gone tits up this season because we nicked their manager.
 So 7 for now, but I feel very optimistic that I'll be upping that to an 8 or 9 by January.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 01:15:17 AM »
I think Ireland will make a massive improvement this season, mostly because of PL's tactics, and slightly cos he only has another year to get the crazy wages he is getting for doing sod all.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 01:19:37 AM »
and hopefully Nzogbia improves 100%   , Ireland shows us the talent he has ( and he might )  , Gabby sorts his shit out and Delph reaches his potential . we might be ok this season . 

we also have some promising youngsters in Weimann  Carruthers and Baker .

Im looking forward to this season.
I'm tempted to add Burke to that last list... he looked incredibly comfy on (and off) the ball when he came on, on Tuesday.

Am now officially one over the eight and going to bed.
Goodnight my fellow Villains!
UTV!

Offline Ross

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 01:24:36 AM »
I'm pretty pleased. I like the policy of going for young hungry players who will be genuinely pleased to play for the club.

We aren't going to get established top drawer players at the moment (have we ever?!) and the alternative is to pay through the nose for mercenaries like QPR have.  Much happier with Lamberts policy, he has certainly refreshed the squad and if we can get the magical 40 points as soon as we can we'll be well placed for the next few years.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 01:25:05 AM »
8/10

The 9 players (including Guzan) cost less than what was paid for Jarvis and Fletcher.

Offline KRS

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 01:40:24 AM »
I've gone for a cautiously optimistic 7 out of 10.

PL has identified and signed young ambitious talent...what impresses me from all of their comments so far is that they all seem hungry and honoured to play for Villa. Question marks will remain over whether we have enough experience or quality, so its upto them now to dismiss any doubts and express their talents, hunger and desire on the pitch.

A word of caution that everyone should take note of...we've signed 8 new players since PL took charge and just like any team, these players will need time to settle and gel so dont expect good results or performances straight away. This is a project that PL and the players seem to be embracing but it needs to time to flourish and reach its potential...but as we all know, time isnt a luxury any Premier League team can afford so they do need to start picking up points sooner rather than later.

Would I be right in saying that we could be the first and only established Premier League club that has signed so many young players in any single transfer window to embark on what I can only describe as a "project" like this? 

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 01:58:19 AM »
I am absolutely delighted as to how we have gone and done our business. Also surprised by the type of signings that show how switched on our Manager is about talent around Europe and this country.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 02:12:14 AM »
Pleases me to see these young hungry players given a chance to shine plus we haven't bet the house on them

Offline Havencheese

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 03:19:20 AM »
8/10

If we'd have snaffled Benteke for 4 to 5 million, I'd have given us a 10/10. Still, it's a job done and all the talk of relegation around here seems to have simmered as compared with the post Everton doldrums. What I love about PL's purchases is the diamond in the rough aspect of the lower division signings. I'm gonna sound like a wanker here but I think PL and his backroom take a very wholistic approach to the squad. Too many teams paying over the limits for overhyped 'name' signings instead of building a foundation with hungry players with a job to do.

Even with these signings the job is still far from complete, I just hope Lambert sticks around to complete the job.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal