collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Its gonna take time boys!  (Read 6954 times)

Offline rutski

Its gonna take time boys!
« on: August 30, 2012, 04:06:11 PM »
http://fourfourtwo.com/blogs/statszone/archive/2012/08/30/lambert-tries-to-drag-anachronistic-villa-into-modernity.aspx

great piece from the opta stats on how we need to change our thinking and football philosophies

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Its gonna take time boys!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 04:09:15 PM »
I read that. What it lacks in original insights (it's pretty much all borrowed from the Wilson book he mentions) it makes up for in accuracy. A few of us have been saying things like this since the MON era, and they're finally being changed.

Offline AvFc4eVeR

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 04:27:39 PM »
Great read.

And something us fans need to take notice of in the coming seasons. Yes West Ham was poor, Everton worse, but I feel things have to get worse before they can improve, and if they improve the right way, then Villa will be back among the top six sooner rather than later.

New signings due in the next few days will hopefully aid this transition, but we need to be patient and support the lads no matter what.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 04:36:43 PM »
I agree a good read indeed.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 04:40:27 PM »
Great read,

Note when he states what the new style number 9 should and you see why Bent is so frustrating.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 04:50:52 PM »
A few of us have been saying things like this since the MON era, and they're finally being changed.

Ain't that the truth.

Good article, summed up perfectly: 'Lambert's problem will not be fan unrest, or player discomfort. It will be shaking players out of their slumber, brushing off the negative influences of a succession of outdated managers, and making Villa into a modern football club. Early signs of progression are emerging, but the hard work has only just begun.'

I do worry how many of our current young players have been poisoned by tactically clueless managers. Hopefully it's not too late to stop the rot.

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 04:54:23 PM »
I do worry how many of our current young players have been poisoned by tactically clueless managers. Hopefully it's not too late to stop the rot.

I agree with that. Would Bannan be hitting those 60-yarders if he'd been at Swansea? Hopefully, however, these sorts of players - and the youngsters only coming through now - can be helped into this modern style of play.

Online The Left Side

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 04:56:14 PM »
Can't complain about anything written there, hopefully the growing pains will be over soon and we can start playing proper football. Finally those footballers will have to start using their brains!

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 05:25:58 PM »
Very good article and it gives me hope.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 05:35:05 PM »
Spot on that article.

Let's face facts MON and McLeish are products of a by gone footballing era which is now 10 years out of date. The bi-annual dumping of the national team out of tournaments, not to mention the general lack of qualification of other home nations + R.O.I. shows how far we have slipped behind in technique and tactics. Sure we can run and thump our chests with the best of them.

This starts as far back as the enthusiastic Dad '...get rid of it Son!!!...' on a Saturday or Sunday morning

Offline supertom

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 06:32:51 PM »
Great stuff. The more players Lambo gets for his style, the better we'll become. Survival is key this season because I believe we need 2-3 windows to really turn this into a Lambert side. I'd like to see Delph and KEA together again. I was disappointed Delph was dropped for Everton as he'd played well and seemed to gel nicely with KEA.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 07:03:01 PM »
Great stuff. The more players Lambo gets for his style, the better we'll become. Survival is key this season because I believe we need 2-3 windows to really turn this into a Lambert side. I'd like to see Delph and KEA together again. I was disappointed Delph was dropped for Everton as he'd played well and seemed to gel nicely with KEA.
This.
And we do need to be patient. It's a whole culture change for the old guard in particular, Given for instance, who resorted to lumping it in the 2nd half at W Ham and far too often v Everton. Hoofer Collins has gone, replaced by Vlaar who is a footballer who happens to play centre half.
Lambert is bringing his own players in and it will take a while for his philosophy/plan to reach fruition.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 08:18:48 PM »
Spain even won Euro 2012 while frequently employing a 4-6-0.

didn't TSM try that formation thou ;)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 08:42:18 PM »
Excellent article.

Offline Yamielo75

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 09:45:40 PM »
This a complete and utter load of Bollocks!!! This style of Football is nothing new! Liverpool are famed for playing, short passing, strong defensive, possession keeping football during the '80's and what about the "Total Football" that the like of Johan Cruyff was playing for the Dutch during the '70's. Oh and of course lets not forget the Brazilians!!

How long has O'Neill been at Sunderland? Not that long and his side have almost seen an immediate turn around of results (Just as we did when he came to us) and they look a force to be reckoned with this season, especially with such signings like Andy Johnson etc..

I was extremely happy with the capture of Paul Lambert and believe he will bring success to Aston Villa, but the board clearly need to invest more money in experienced players, as well as blooding new young and hungry ones.

G.

VILLA 'TIL I DIE!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal