collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Petrov banner banned from Villa park  (Read 26758 times)

Offline MonsXI

Re: Petrov banner banned from Villa park
« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2012, 03:12:04 PM »
to me it seems like the 20-odd people in the ultras have relocated and think they can run the show in a new block of 5-600 people

Run the show? What by flying a banner for 60 seconds? Or do you mean actually trying to create some atmosphere?

no, i mean i have read your forum and have seen comments along the lines of "all our seats our dotted about but we are going to stand regardless" etc etc

my mate moved to L8 last year and said you made a right racket so fair play on the singing front

but based on the comments/attitude on your forum (and to a much lesser degree in this thread) it strikes me as - we are going to do whatever we want, stuff the 5-600 people sat directly around us, if you dont buy into our idea of atmosphere your not a real fan

Firstly nobody has ever said those not singing etc are not real fans, and the point about standing is probably to do with stewards rather than other fans. Ideally a back section of a block would've been available for the group and then nobody else would be disturbed I believe that as the season go's on with comprise the group and others in the block will find a happy medium.

no but they are 'scum' according to one poster on the forums

Is that a poster with a northern seaside town in his moniker?

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2012, 03:29:29 PM »
Everyone sympathises with the predicament of anyone, especially the young, when faced with a potentially life limiting illness.

No doubt good wishes can lift the spirits and help people face treatment and a poor prognosis.  But let's be very clear here - the only thing that treats leukemia is chemotherapy.  The clapping has made diddly squat difference to his illness being in remission now and will have no effect on its future course. 

The sponsored clapathon in support of Petrov really should stop now and with it the mass maukish  Liverpool-esque sentimentality. 

Of course from a medical point of view it is the hospital treatment that's s all important but if you had any idea of the psychological impact of serious illness then you wouldn't and couldn't have posted such a load of ill informed nonsense. It's a minute of our time once a fortnight but for him it will mean the world.

Although I cannot relate to this sentiment personally, this.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2012, 04:21:39 PM »
I believe in the mind and body connection too. Unless you've been seriously ill or have a serious illness you shouldn't comment on such matters as you've never experienced. Having a positive mindset is so important to have when you're going through something similar to Petrov, and when you're that ill just really small things like a minute applause can have a big effect on you.

I also think motivation is a key factor to recovering quicker. If you set a goal and get motivated for that goal your body will want to get it where it is eventually. As much as its about getting treatment too having a positive outlook and trying to control your illness will improve your recovery. If you let your illness get the better of you you will get depressed and being negative which isn't good for the body.

It's not how many times you get knocked down, its how many times you get up.

Offline pestria

« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2012, 04:23:20 PM »
Everyone sympathises with the predicament of anyone, especially the young, when faced with a potentially life limiting illness.

No doubt good wishes can lift the spirits and help people face treatment and a poor prognosis.  But let's be very clear here - the only thing that treats leukemia is chemotherapy.  The clapping has made diddly squat difference to his illness being in remission now and will have no effect on its future course. 

The sponsored clapathon in support of Petrov really should stop now and with it the mass maukish  Liverpool-esque sentimentality. 

Of course from a medical point of view it is the hospital treatment that's s all important but if you had any idea of the psychological impact of serious illness then you wouldn't and couldn't have posted such a load of ill informed nonsense. It's a minute of our time once a fortnight but for him it will mean the world.

To the various responses to my message.

@ Chris - I am far from ill informed on the psychological element of medical conditions and have acknowledged its role in helping people deal with the side effects of treatment and in cases of poor prognosis.  Howver, I'm not aware of any links between improved psychological status and efficacy of chemo - perhaps you are aware of some research in which case I'd be very keen to read it.

@MOns XI - Maukish or Mawkish: 'Excessively or falsely sentimental; showing a sickly excess of sentiment'.  Just my point of view, but I think it's excessive and in many cases false.  A lot of people clap because they fear standing out by not clapping and not fitting in.

@Mortimer's Bear - Vitriol - 'bitterly scathing; caustic:'.  My views are borne out of realisim, not bitterness.  Moreover I'm not a 'knuckledragger' or trying to wind people up.  I have simply stated an alternative point of view, which I suspect many people hold but are fearful of stating - see above.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2012, 04:50:31 PM »
Pestria, you're missing the point. In between your treatment you have to deal with the psychological effect of having a condition that might kill you. That's with you every hour of every day, it's easy to get down and feel sorry for yourself. I know from personal experience how small acts of kindness can give you that lift when you need it. I've seen people on the ward bitter and struggling to cope, the treatment is often brutal and going into it in the wrong frame of mind makes it doubly difficult to deal with. I hope I'm not coming across as holier than thou, I'd have been similarly in the dark six months ago.

You're worried about how other people might perceive it, I think how Stylian reacts is far more pertinent. I was able to go down for the first time in 6 months on Saturday, the tribute moved me as I understood exactly how he would be feeling, when during it my son put his arm round me I was barely able to hold back the tears.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2012, 04:57:56 PM »
If people can't stand and applaud someone for ONE minute, as a show of support for someone who is fighting a life threatening disease then I think that says more about them to be honest.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #111 on: August 31, 2012, 04:58:15 PM »
Pestria, you're missing the point. In between your treatment you have to deal with the psychological effect of having a condition that might kill you. That's with you every hour of every day, it's easy to get down and feel sorry for yourself. I know from personal experience how small acts of kindness can give you that lift when you need it. I've seen people on the ward bitter and struggling to cope, the treatment is often brutal and going into it in the wrong frame of mind makes it doubly difficult to deal with. I hope I'm not coming across as holier than thou, I'd have been similarly in the dark six months ago.

You're worried about how other people might perceive it, I think how Stylian reacts is far more pertinent. I was able to go down for the first time in 6 months on Saturday, the tribute moved me as I understood exactly how he would be feeling, when during it my son put his arm round me I was barely able to hold back the tears.

Thanks for your thoughts on this Chris, it gives us all a great insight into the mind set of the whole situation. Thank you.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #112 on: August 31, 2012, 04:59:14 PM »
I can't hold back the tears either now Chris. My thoughts and best wishes are with you.

What a deeply touching post.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 05:00:59 PM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #113 on: August 31, 2012, 05:03:29 PM »
And lock the thread.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #114 on: August 31, 2012, 05:09:50 PM »
And lock the thread.

I think you're right. If anyone else wants to comment on here, PM a mod.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal