collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Current Captain?  (Read 23666 times)

Offline The Left Side

Re: Current Captain?
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2012, 05:40:08 PM »
The more I hear about concrete ron the more I like

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2012, 05:56:51 PM »
Always preferred a centre half to be captain. Vlaar is the best choice.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2012, 06:24:38 AM »
It was the first time i'd seen Vlaar play on Saturday and he's got 'cult hero' written all over him. Players like Vlaar lift a crowd even more than tricky skilful types. Superb.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2012, 07:20:09 AM »
Every time I watch Vlaar I think about 4 men, and I can't help it...

Dunne 5m, 60k a week, Collins 5m, 40k a week, Davies 10m, 30k a week and Cuellar 8m, 40k a week.

And then there is Vlaar, with a release clause of 3m and a wage that is reportedly very reasonable. And I think if there is ever a couple of footballers signed under Lambert already to show how different from MON he is, Lowton and Vlaar are them. Hopefully the press will stop the comparisons soon, it was my biggest fear when we wanted Lambert and he has dispelled it very quickly for me. His use of funds in the window could be the best bit of trading since Little brought in Southgate, Draper and The Big Serb.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2012, 07:30:37 AM »
How much did Zat cost? I know he did an ok job when called on but again it was another centre back that was bought and replaced.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2012, 07:55:38 AM »
Although somewhat strangely he was the only* defender that O'Neill bought that we sold for a profit.

*I think

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2012, 08:10:05 AM »

Dunne 5m, 60k a week, Collins 5m, 40k a week, Davies 10m, 30k a week and Cuellar 8m, 40k a week.

And then there is Vlaar, with a release clause of 3m and a wage that is reportedly very reasonable. And I think if there is ever a couple of footballers signed under Lambert already to show how different from MON he is, Lowton and Vlaar are them. Hopefully the press will stop the comparisons soon, it was my biggest fear when we wanted Lambert and he has dispelled it very quickly for me. His use of funds in the window could be the best bit of trading since Little brought in Southgate, Draper and The Big Serb.
You've nailed it, Ozz, although the list could include KEA whom I also think has shown strong signs of 'bargain-buster' all over him. Saturday, he quietly got on with his job and broke up the Swansea play; no fuss, no histrionics.

Incidentally, I was amused by the guy sitting behind me who kept confusing KEA with Ireland ... like, similar except in a different part of the pitch doing different things and displaying rather different behaviours (not that Ireland had a poor game; he didn't). Oh, and different coloured boots.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2012, 08:17:30 AM »
The way Lambert's signings have started make future transfer windows a pretty mouth-watering prospect. He's on his way to restoring faith amongst the fans, and hopefully Lerner too.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2012, 08:36:17 AM »
Albrighton on Vlaar, from the official website:

Ron Vlaar

He's a great footballer. He's been absolutely brilliant since he's come in.

He's a role model to the young players - in every way. Everything he does is just so professional.

He helps the lads, he talks to you, he's just amazing to be honest.

He's been great with me. He got to know me on his first day - and he hadn't even signed. He was just about to leave Bodymoor Heath for his medical, saw me in the gym with my cast on and started chatting to me.

He put his medical on hold! He was asking what I had done, how long I had been out for, when I was coming back. Then he started telling me how I'd be fine and come through the other side fine.

For someone to do that is fantastic.

What a great guy Vlaar is. We finally have a few heroes on the pitch. For two years it felt like nobody cared and were just happy to pick up a big pay cheque at the end of the week.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2012, 08:46:29 AM »
How much did Zat cost? I know he did an ok job when called on but again it was another centre back that was bought and replaced.

I think we got him for £3.5m and sold him for £4m

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2012, 09:26:31 AM »
In defence of the old ..er.. defence, they were one of the best in the country when they had a manager with a clue how to organise and motivate. It was the succession of clowns since O'Neill left that turned them into an omnishambles.

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2012, 11:27:46 AM »
There will be a Ron Vlaar interview on Five Live today at about 12.25. Not sure if it's been mentioned!

Offline stubbsyandy

« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2012, 11:31:29 AM »

You've nailed it, Ozz, although the list could include KEA whom I also think has shown strong signs of 'bargain-buster' all over him. Saturday, he quietly got on with his job and broke up the Swansea play; no fuss, no histrionics.

Incidentally, I was amused by the guy sitting behind me who kept confusing KEA with Ireland ... like, similar except in a different part of the pitch doing different things and displaying rather different behaviours (not that Ireland had a poor game; he didn't). Oh, and different coloured boots.
That might have been me..where do you sit?

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2012, 12:54:57 PM »
There will be a Ron Vlaar interview on Five Live today at about 12.25. Not sure if it's been mentioned!

'Owt of interest from the great man?

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2012, 02:48:16 PM »
Not really. He came across as modest and said that he was pleased that the fans were chanting his name to the Paul McGrath chant and also he is pleased his grandmothers came to watch the Swansea game. His parents try to get to every game he plays in, but that will now be more difficult, but if he makes his family proud, he is proud, which is nice.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal