collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How big a loss is Stan  (Read 8274 times)

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
How big a loss is Stan
« on: August 29, 2012, 09:19:29 AM »
With our current midfield i really think he would have been ideal

Stan        Herd

KEH          Ireland        Holman

I think that MF has graft, guile, ball retention, mobility and some grit

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
Re: How big a loss is Stan
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 09:24:25 AM »
Sorry Hookey, I don't see KEA as a wide player.

Petrov was very good last season, scored some vital goals. Always gave 100% and was one of the only players who seemed to give a shit.

I think he's a huge miss. Sorry to say I don't think he'll ever play for us again.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 10:03:05 AM »
Whenever Petrov wasn't in the side last season we struggled massively and were overrun in midfield.  There is still noone in the squad who can do his job.  My midfield would look more like this:

Stan        KEA

Delph          Ireland        Holman

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 10:06:58 AM »
I think KEA is effectively a replacement for Stan.  Where they both playing together, we'd have a really strong central midfield.

Offline noodles

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 10:11:39 AM »
I think he's as much of a miss off the field as on it. It's obvious the other players loved him to bits and he was a calming influence on the team. Along with his experience and quality he's a huge miss. 

HE WILL PLAY AGAIN AT VP.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 10:26:08 AM »
Stan was having his best season for us before illness struck. He really was our Mr. Aston Villa and a great mentor to the younger players. With Petrov in the side we were more secure at the back and offered a slightly better goal threat at the other end.

I hope noodles is right, would love to see him back at VP.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 08:09:46 AM by Irish villain »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 10:33:40 AM »
Even with his legs starting to go a bit, still one of the few quality players in the side.  I think we'd be much better with him back in the team.  I haven't given up hope of seeing him in a Villa shirt again, either.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 10:36:04 AM »
Would be a day to remember if Stan did return at VP.

Offline Merv

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 11:05:11 AM »
I think KEA is effectively a replacement for Stan.  Where they both playing together, we'd have a really strong central midfield.

Yep. What that midfield needs really is a new Stan to go alongside KEA - good ball retention, discipline, a bit of experience.

Offline supertom

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 11:08:04 AM »
We miss his influence and experience hugely. Lamberts way of playing would have suited Stan a lot too as he wouldn't have to be chasing the ball all the time and knackering himself out. Our midfield is sorely lacking in a leader and someone who can just compose the side a bit. I don't rate Bent as a skipper at all. Looking at the rest of the team currently, and there doesn't appear to be any other decent skippers. Ones for the future possibly, but not for the here and now.

I'm still very concerned about the coming season given the squad we have. That said, all of Lamberts signings look promising. I think Lowtons been decent. Not spectacular, but he's made a solid start. Stepping up can be hard sometimes but he's not look out of place and I think he'll get better. Tidy on the ball, decent in defence. Like him.
Vlaar seems good too. When he's settled to the pace and physicality of this league and learns what he can and can't get away with in terms of physical duels he'll be very good. He's a potential future skipper too.
KEA I think will be very good indeed. He's a decent all rounder, plenty of energy and some quality on the ball.
2-3 more good signings in the next two days would go a long way. Lambert appears to have a good eye. If however he doesn't get in some valuable experience, it could prove costly.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 11:11:32 AM »
If he does play again it would be fantastic. If he doesn't it would be great for him to actually go up and collect the FA Cup at Wembley this season. (It's definitely our season)

Offline bilsim

• I just love Aston Villa.
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 03:10:25 PM »
Not only as a player, but as the only person in the dressing room who I would call an ambassador for the club. I think his influence in the dressing room is going to be so sorely missed and I hope upon hope that one day he'll play again.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 03:25:44 PM »
Huge loss. Everything crossed he gets back. Even for one game, knowing he was in good health would be a day to celebrate and remember forever.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 04:01:39 PM »
I was sadly one of the ones who started to moan a lot about his lack of legs / fitness and not being able to go past the 70  minute mark - i felt shit when the news came out (but like others how was we supposed to know)

A great player and really miss him

Hopefully he will be one of those many players that Villa touch and he stays in the area and declares his love for us - the support the fans and the club gave him and continue to do so with the 19 minute must have made an impression on him

He will be back!

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 05:42:10 PM »
We miss his influence tremendously. Not so sure we will see him play for us again sadly but I hope I am wrong on that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal