collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: McLeish:No Regrets  (Read 28646 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Re: McLeish:No Regrets
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 01:27:57 PM »
Fuck him and the donkey he rode in on (Peter Grant)

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012, 01:49:23 PM »
A decent man who was not a good manager for us, and who should never have been appointed in the first place. I don't blame him for accepting the job - any of us would have done so in the circumstances.

I wish him well and hope we can leave him be now.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2012, 01:53:01 PM »
Why are people queuing up to declare that he's a decent bloke?  He might well be, but who cares when it comes to winning football matches.  I wouldn't call Ferguson or Wenger 'decent blokes' but I'd have them at Villa Park like a shot, given the chance.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2012, 01:56:36 PM »
Why are people queuing up to declare that he's a decent bloke?  He might well be, but who cares when it comes to winning football matches.  I wouldn't call Ferguson or Wenger 'decent blokes' but I'd have them at Villa Park like a shot, given the chance.
Agree.
I couldn't give a fuck how nicey-nicey he is, he nearly sent us into the Championship.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2012, 02:47:26 PM »
I just get the feeling that he never worked out what he wanted to do on the training field, with most managers, even if things are going badly, you can see what they want to achieve, last season it was impossible to pin down any area where we improved thanks to training, we weren't solid defensively, we weren't potent in attack, we didn't play for set pieces, we didn't counter-attack, we weren't even particularly fit.

I’ve been reading a book recently and it talks about what makes some people excel.  The first factor is the “10,000 hour” theory and the second is about training.

To improve, training should always be practicing to the point of failure i.e. pushing yourself to your limit.  For example Tiger Woods will stand on the balls in his bunker training to make the shot more difficult.  When I imagine McLeish’s training I imagine the opposite.  Flat back fours being instructed to “get rid” down the channels etc.  I hope that the club gets a bit more imaginative from here, PL certainly seems to talk a good game so there is hope.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2012, 02:49:55 PM »
As I said after he left I hold no bitterness towards him now. However he played appallingly defensive football and would never have succeeded regardless of the time he was afforded. Talk of Sigurdsson etc is all well and good, but I doubt he would have come to Villa and even if he had his attacking instincts would have been undermined. He's not a good manager, but probably a decent enough bloke. Fortunately for him and Villa he's no longer involved with the club.

Offline peter w

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2012, 03:16:33 PM »
Quote from: Rissbert on Today at 12:53:01 PM
Agree.
I couldn't give a fuck how nicey-nicey he is, he nearly sent us into the Championship.

Useless fucker couldn't even do that right.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2012, 03:41:16 PM »
The fact that we're still stuck with the appalling Hutton and the useless N'Zogbia and are probably nearly £20m lighter as a result is another reason to give him stick.

We signed N'zogbia when he was possibly the best winger in the league the season before, he can't really be criticised for that.  No excuses with Hutton though.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2012, 03:48:46 PM »
The fact that we're still stuck with the appalling Hutton and the useless N'Zogbia and are probably nearly £20m lighter as a result is another reason to give him stick.

We signed N'zogbia when he was possibly the best winger in the league the season before, he can't really be criticised for that.  No excuses with Hutton though.

You could argue that just about every Villa manager has signed players that turned out to be a waste of money. McLeish is hardly unique in that department.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2012, 03:55:02 PM »

You could argue that just about every Villa manager has signed players that turned out to be a waste of money. McLeish is hardly unique in that department.

True, but then most other managers had at least one thing they could be proud of in their Villa career.   The only half decent signing McLeish made, was Given on an absurdly long contract.  Plus, Given's only really a slightly younger and not as good replacement for Friedel.  And N'Zogbia wasn't the best winger in the league in response to the poster above, he was the one who had a few good games towards the arse end of the season.  Hutton is easily one of our worst signings ever, and getting Jenas on loan was just unbelievably stupid.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2012, 03:58:20 PM »
Also true, still a chance Holman will be his. And most Villa managers had more than 1 season, which increases their chances of making a signing that really makes his mark.

Offline levico

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2012, 04:15:45 PM »
He should count himself lucky he's not the current manager given that the squad's even thinner, quality-wise, than last season.

Offline Rick_avfc

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2012, 04:20:34 PM »
An utter shit bag of a manager who will and SHOULD find it difficult to find another job in the top flight.He has wasted in the excess of £13m+ on 3 shite signings - NZogbia, Hutton and Jenas when he could of used that more wisely.

His tactics, if thats what you call them, were absurd and he never once stood up and accepted responsibility for his actions i.e. Spurs away.  What the hell was he thinking???

You cant really blame him for coming to us though as like he said, we are a big club and a far better prospect than the shite from small heath.  The blame lies with Randy and Paul Faulkner for hiring him and then not giving him some serious backing in the market knowing that it was a controversial appointment so he needed to hit the ground running.

He may well be a nice bloke but im glad he has gone and taken alot of the negativity with him.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2012, 05:07:23 PM »
Fuck him and the donkey he rode in on (Peter Grant)

Very good

Offline boboonthecorner

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2012, 05:13:32 PM »
Even with Bent in the team we looked dismal as an attacking unit, so I wouldn't have banked on us winning more games. 
Even with Bent in the team we looked dismal as an attacking unit, so I wouldn't have banked on us winning more games. 

The difference on Saturday from last season was what exactly?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal