collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sell Bent?  (Read 45653 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Sell Bent?
« on: August 20, 2012, 10:17:02 AM »
I've been thinking about this lately, and while it may seem counter intuitive to sell our best [only] goalscorer, I think the idea has merit for the following reasons:

1) I don't think Lerner is going to provide much in the way of extra funds before the end of August, and by my reckoning we could do with another three to four players at least, so if we could get the £18m back we initially stumped up, somebody like Lambert should be able to get some value in the transfer market.

2) If Bent isn't scoring, he isn't doing anything else, and he hardly touched the ball on Saturday.  I think we need more of a team player to be honest, but one who can still bag a few goals and bring others like Ireland into the game.

Of course, if we could buy the players to bring the best out of him, then an in form Bent is a brilliant predator in the area, but I don't think we can afford to wait for the team to click to be honest in terms of getting the ball to him regularly.

Offline levico

Re: Sell Bent?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 10:20:25 AM »
He's not scoring because he's basically playing in an above average Championship team with no creative midfield. We might as well sell him but shouldn't expect Randy to invest the proceeds on the pitch.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 10:23:46 AM »
It would be madness to sell him.  What needs to be done is get someone in who can supply him some ammunition. 

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 10:25:03 AM »
It would be madness to sell him.  What needs to be done is get someone in who can supply him some ammunition. 

Agree entirely.

Also, if the financial regime is still in place, flogging one player to buy in three or four draws on the wage bill isn't going to be something Lerner will do.

Relying on Gabby, Weimann and Delf to get the goals this season is just way too risky.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 10:28:29 AM »
It has taken us years and years to get a 20 goal a season man and then sell him .   Stupid

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 10:31:50 AM »
Keep Bent & get the best out of him. Surely Lambert has a way of doing this.

Offline hartman_1982

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 10:32:54 AM »
He's not scoring because he's basically playing in an above average Championship team with no creative midfield. We might as well sell him but shouldn't expect Randy to invest the proceeds on the pitch.
Sweet baby jesus. 1 game in!

Offline asgpaul

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 10:33:13 AM »
It has taken us years and years to get a 20 goal a season man and then sell him .   Stupid

Totally agree with this.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 10:35:57 AM »
Who would buy him?

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 10:36:44 AM »
He's had one competitive game back since a longish injury lay off and at the same time we're trying to bed in half a new team. It will take time for him and his new team mates to get up to speed. We just have to be patient

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 10:36:49 AM »
If we sold Bent for say £18m, how much of it would Lerner reinvest into the squad? On recent history I'd suggest not all of it.
It would be madness to sell him.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 10:38:52 AM »
Bent is the last really class player we have - you build around your best players, although after the Barry, Milner, Young and Downing sales it wouldn't surprise me if Lerner sells him to get another high earner off the wage bill. Lerner needs to state his strategy for the club long term, but I suspect he's lost interest like he has with the Cleveland Browns.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 10:39:37 AM »
Would get a better midfield, I still think we need a winger, good balls across the box from the lady girl Downing and Young and Bent was loving it. Now they gone he's struggling.

I'd sell Ireland personally

Offline Rick_avfc

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 10:40:14 AM »
Selling him would be a crime.  anyway, i dont think anyone would stump up the £18m we would want for him.  We need our "creative" players i.e. CNZ, Ireland, Holman and Bannan to work their "magic" and supply the man.  Why did it work under GH?  Because we had Ashley young providing him as well as Downing.  Now we have Nzog who still hasnt turned up to the party and prob wont until the end of the season, Ireland, again someone who still hasnt delivered despite having all the qualities that everyone says he has, Holman  who is a newbie and needs time and finally Bannan who again, has question marks over his ability at this level. 

I really hope they all click and produce on a consistant level, i really do.  But selling Bent is not an option.  Id happily sell either Nzog or Ireland or both if the money we recouped from that was reinvested in better players.

Offline Yossarian

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 10:40:22 AM »
Who would buy him?

I can't imagine we would get anywhere near what we paid for him. Because of the injury I don't imagine his stock is very high.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal