collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gabby and Defoe - a hypthetical question.  (Read 11063 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Gabby and Defoe - a hypthetical question.
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 02:32:50 PM »
I think Defoe and Bent can play together as long as you don't play them up front as a two. If you play Defoe either side of Bent, with Bent being the recognised lone forward then it can be done in my opinion. Defoe is infinitely better as a goal threat than Gabby and he can do indivisual things like he did the other night vs Italy that Gabby could never do. If MON offered Fletcher money for Gabby, and Defoe on a three year deal for about half that is a good deal. I love Gabby but if you look at it without emotion of Gabby being local lad done good, then it makes sense in a number of ways.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 02:36:51 PM »
Defoe would want big wages, and presumably he'd expect to play every game. So that would mean pairing him with Bent, and that categorically did not work at Spurs. It's not even hypothetical, we KNOW it doesn't work.

I don't think we need anyone to play alongside Bent, anyway. These days the way to go is to stick one up front and get the support up to him quick, playing in between the lines. Better off pushing Ireland forward in a free role and telling him to slot balls through for Bent at every opportunity.

Offline supertom

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 02:51:29 PM »
I think Defoe and Bent can play together as long as you don't play them up front as a two. If you play Defoe either side of Bent, with Bent being the recognised lone forward then it can be done in my opinion. Defoe is infinitely better as a goal threat than Gabby and he can do indivisual things like he did the other night vs Italy that Gabby could never do. If MON offered Fletcher money for Gabby, and Defoe on a three year deal for about half that is a good deal. I love Gabby but if you look at it without emotion of Gabby being local lad done good, then it makes sense in a number of ways.

I don't think Defoe has enough in his game to play wide. He's also too selfish with the ball to play anywhere but Bents position. Likewise Bent would be terrible playing wide.
I mean I love to have both of them in the squad, but in all honesty there's no chance Defoe would come here without being garaunteed a 1st team spot. I don't even think he'd come here if he was. Not unless we pay him a top wage. If he's gonna move, it'll be to someone willing to pay him big wages. Maybe MON will fancy him.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 02:53:36 PM »

Defoe has nothing to his game other than his finishing, he's an out and out striker and playing him anywhere else is a total waste of time. It's just wishful thinking to suggest what didn't work when they were together at Spurs might miraculously work here.

Offline pedro25

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 02:58:54 PM »
Isn't Defoe Spurs only striker on their books?  Can't see them letting him go.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2012, 03:01:50 PM »

Defoe has nothing to his game other than his finishing, he's an out and out striker and playing him anywhere else is a total waste of time. It's just wishful thinking to suggest what didn't work when they were together at Spurs might miraculously work here.

I stated my opinion Chris. Feel free to state yours as opposed to simply criticising mine. It's not wishful thinking as much as it is a suggestion that just because Redknapp couldn't get it to work that nobody can. As for Gabby there's little to Gabby's game right now other than his pace and even that is going to decline and be less effective because of his injuries.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 03:03:50 PM »

I don't think Defoe has enough in his game to play wide. He's also too selfish with the ball to play anywhere but Bents position. Likewise Bent would be terrible playing wide.
I mean I love to have both of them in the squad, but in all honesty there's no chance Defoe would come here without being garaunteed a 1st team spot. I don't even think he'd come here if he was. Not unless we pay him a top wage. If he's gonna move, it'll be to someone willing to pay him big wages. Maybe MON will fancy him.

I also happen to think the same in that he won't come here anyway because of wages and expectations. He's an upgrade to Gabby in my opinion because he can finish and I don't see Lambert playing two up front all the time. If Defoe came her he'd have to be flexible and I'm not sold that he couldn't play in a deeper role.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 03:06:09 PM »
If it's a balancing act I'd sell Bent before Gabby and re-invest that money

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 03:15:47 PM »

I stated my opinion Chris. Feel free to state yours as opposed to simply criticising mine. It's not wishful thinking as much as it is a suggestion that just because Redknapp couldn't get it to work that nobody can. As for Gabby there's little to Gabby's game right now other than his pace and even that is going to decline and be less effective because of his injuries.

I can only assume that you haven't read the thread as I've posted on the first page

They're the same type of players, out and out finishers who without goals contribute very little. That's why I don't think they worked together, they both want to make the same runs and do the same job.

In addition Lambert talks about players having the right character, I'm not convinced.

Offline Holy Trinity

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 03:26:20 PM »
gabby plays with his heart on his sleeve and deserves more credit than he is given he has a 1 in 4 league ratio sets up more than his fair share of goals and also contributes more defensively than some of our old center backs did. the 1-4 ratio is pretty poor for a striker but considering he gets stuck out on the wing more than he should that 1 in 4 looks more like a 1 in 3 also would you rather have gabby working his socks off for the cause including scoring in most derbys he plays or defoe trying to score 20 in a season so he can angle a move to liverpool/arsenal.

all the above ignores the fact that i think defoe is pants. he had 2 good seasons 5 years ago and has done very little since. just my opinion

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 03:42:48 PM »
gabby plays with his heart on his sleeve and deserves more credit than he is given he has a 1 in 4 league ratio sets up more than his fair share of goals and also contributes more defensively than some of our old center backs did. the 1-4 ratio is pretty poor for a striker but considering he gets stuck out on the wing more than he should that 1 in 4 looks more like a 1 in 3 also would you rather have gabby working his socks off for the cause including scoring in most derbys he plays or defoe trying to score 20 in a season so he can angle a move to liverpool/arsenal.

all the above ignores the fact that i think defoe is pants. he had 2 good seasons 5 years ago and has done very little since. just my opinion

Gabby sulks on the wing and has the movement of an 80 year old oak tree.

Defoe scores goals.

In the scenario above I would take the deal, as Bent being injured means we don't score goals, and Defoe would ensure that we had top cover for him. If I was signing a partner for Bent, it would not be either, it would be Carroll, or indeed I could seethe sense in Jones. Essentially though, a profit of 8 million on Gabby with Defoe coming in would be incredible business, and will never happen.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 03:50:45 PM »
Spot on jim, Gabby will never learn what bent does if he studied bent for the next million years

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 03:56:54 PM »

They're the same type of players, out and out finishers who without goals contribute very little.

When was the last time Darren Bent chased a ball down the wing turned inside a defender and scored in the top corner from 20 yards out? They are different players. Bent is the best 6 yard box player in the PL, and Defoe while he's decent at that has also shown the ability throughout his career to score in a number of different ways.

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 04:03:37 PM »
I voted yes, but on reflection I've changed my mind. Gabby and Bent hasn't really worked when they've played together. We know that Bent and Defoe can't play together, but Gabby and Defoe might just work. So how about swapping Bent for Defoe plus between £10 - 15 million?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 04:09:01 PM »
Bent and Gabby worked fine up until November last season. Then after the Norwich game Gabby seemed to decide he'd got enough goals and assists for the season. If we can get that early season form for them we'll be fine and so will they as a partnership.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal