collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gabby and Defoe - a hypthetical question.  (Read 11066 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Gabby and Defoe - a hypthetical question.
« on: August 17, 2012, 01:18:26 PM »
Don't bite my head off, and I am donning my tin hat as I write this, but I was thinking about PL's apparent interest in Defoe.

Bearing in mind the current need to wheel and deal on finances, and MON's liking of players who've done well for him before, how would people react if MON now took that 14m he'd offered for Fletcher, and offered it to us for Gabby, with us then going out and spending a little over half of it on Defoe?

So:

Gabby -> Sunderland for £14m
Defoe -> us for 8m

Leaving us with 6m to spend elsewhere.

Offline spirit of 82

Re: Gabby and Defoe - a hypthetical question.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 01:20:48 PM »
It would be like all our christmas's coming at once.

Offline DerHammer

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 01:21:39 PM »
I'd take Defoe, but personally I think we can afford him outright & we have a bit more money to spend than than people think.

Offline Kosciousko

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 01:21:52 PM »
Wouldn't like to see Gabby go but looking at it objectively that would be a good piece of business...

When I saw that there was interest in Defoe and Kenwyne Jones I thought that they would both be good additions that wouldn't require getting rid of existing players but would provide a good choice of complementary and versatile strikers...

Offline Mr Speedy H

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 01:22:25 PM »
Personally I'd like to give Gabby some time and see how he reacts during the first few games.

Gabby has the potential to be a great player, I just don't think anyone other than MON has managed to squeeze it out of him.

If, say, by January MON is still interested and Gabby is playing like a soggy sock, then yes, do it.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 01:24:55 PM »
Would anyone pay £14m for Gabby?  I know transfer prices are silly these days but any transfer involving Liverpool aside, they're not that silly are they?!

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 01:26:07 PM »
Would anyone pay £14m for Gabby?  I know transfer prices are silly these days but any transfer involving Liverpool aside, they're not that silly are they?!

Martin probably would. They're supposed to have offered 14 for Fletcher, so I reckon he'd offer it for Gabby.

If you like, ignore the figures, a deal with Sunderland and one with Spurs that left us with a decent bit of cash to spend elsewhere.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 01:27:59 PM »
If there is anything in the Defoe rumours I'd say it's more likely that Bent could be off.

Where to- I'm not so sure. I can't think of many clubs bigger than us who'd want him and any clubs of similar stature who could afford him.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 01:29:18 PM »
Prefer to keep Gabby. If Bent is gonna be the main man,he needs a different kind of striker to play with,either a big lump,someone who can run the channels(Gab) or a link up player. Defoe is none of these.

Offline supertom

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 01:31:15 PM »
Defoe and Bent are too similar. They can't play together. At least with Gabby, he's got the ability to use his pace in the channels and out wide to free up Bent. They could do well together I think, if Gabby hits his best form. I want to see him for Lambert.
If Defoe was happy to come here and fight it out with Bent for the main strike spot, then it'd be okay, but he's a player who could easily find a club who'll play him week in week out, and one who finished a lot higher than we did last season.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 01:33:30 PM »
If there is anything in the Defoe rumours I'd say it's more likely that Bent could be off.

Where to- I'm not so sure. I can't think of many clubs bigger than us who'd want him and any clubs of similar stature who could afford him.

Can't see Bent being off, he seems very happy and looking forward to playing this season.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 01:59:42 PM »
Bent and Defoe have already demonstrated that they can't play together and in a side that created far more chances than we're likely to do next season. Then there's the question of wages that Defoe is likely to want and his age. That's without considering that Gabby although he's stuttered for a couple of seasons (haven't they all) was showing year on year improvement prior to that and I'd bank on him getting back on track under Lambert.

Total non-starter for me.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 02:14:41 PM »
Defoe scores goals more often than Gabby. The only reason there's any doubt is that we'd be letting go of a confirmed Villa fan. That's a sad thing to admit, but Defoe is the better player and he'd work well for us.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 02:22:31 PM »
Gabby isn't good enough but on the basis that Spurs ain't got a striker it's not going to happen, But I'd take it

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 02:26:25 PM »
What surprised me earlier was when I looked up Defoe's stats and saw he's only once scored 15 league in a season in the top flight.
I'm torn on whether i'd want us to sign him, he's 30 soon and i'd have thought he'd want hefty wages.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal