collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa in Europe 77/78  (Read 6872 times)

Offline He wears a magic hat

Villa in Europe 77/78
« on: August 16, 2012, 04:20:47 PM »

Pretty poor quality and in Spannish but will bring back a few memories for some. Mine is having to rush home to see the Villa goals on Sportsnight because my Dad made us leave with 10 minutes to go:(

Villa v Barcelona 1978

Viila v Bilbao 1977

Offline He wears a magic hat

Re: Villa in Europe 77/78
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 04:27:19 PM »
Again poor quality but here are the goals from the return leg in the Nou camp

Offline Richie

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 04:33:32 PM »
A truly great find.

Thanks very much for posting.

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 04:48:56 PM »
That takes me back!!! I was at both games loads of Villa over there, we seemed to take over Lloret for a few days....if it werent for Gidman getting sent off over there we may have had a chance especially when my personal 'Little' god gave us the lead.
Bloody Hell great memories - Flamingo Hotel in Lloret, we organised coaches from our hotel and ran what i tell everyone about 12 coaches but probably nearer 5 or 6. Had a week in Lloret for as much as what the Villa were charging for a one night stopover. Pissed up in the Londoner.
Bilbao as well went there as well.....my first 2 away trips to Europe....memories. In Bilbao happened to walk past a hotel and a spanish or should i say Basque hotel employee beckoned us in and there were the team....invited us back there after the game for post match party.....Ron Saunders sat me on his knee and told me to behave then got one of the players to get us a beer in. Brilliant!!!! Went to a club called Churchills after where one of the bouncers gave Gidman a thump!!!!
Well done for finding these........brilliant

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 05:31:43 PM »
By looking at the number of views on the links these haven't been up for long... great find and thanks for posting.

We should have got a boat load against Bilbao and the nou camp pitch looked lush.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 08:57:27 PM »
Went to a club called Churchills after where one of the bouncers gave Gidman a thump!!!!

So thats where I may have finished up at the end of the Bilbao game was it?
I was sat behind the goal and by the end of the game was thoroughly pissed with the wine bags being passed round by the home fans.
After that my only recollections were some Bilbao fans nicking my Union Jack flag somewhere in town as I staggered around - in fairness I had nicked it by shinning up the flagpole of a Conservative Club on a piss up the previous week.
My final memory of the evening being collapsed on a table somewhere (maybe this place Churchills) and the team being in there and Giddy telling me what a piss head I was.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 09:56:08 PM »
Great find.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 01:08:44 AM »
What a great find! I missed these due to being in the middle of my basic training in the services. What an awesome player Johan Cruyff was

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 07:45:07 AM »
Brilliant find. Cruyff was amazing, what a player.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 08:01:59 AM »
Remember Bilbao at home, and the rain!!! - got soaked

Cruyff, is the best performance  i have seen from a footballer in an away side, he was awesome that night.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 09:11:31 AM »
I have been telling people about the Barcelona game for decades and they didn't believe that we applaude Johann C off the park that night - it must be the only time I didn't care if we won - a true "footcall family of the world" moment

Thanks Magic Hat

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 11:05:39 PM »
As a one eyed churlish 15 year old, distraught at being 2-0 down in a UEFA Cup quarter final, I definitely did not applaud Cruyff. It would be lovely to have the opportunity to see if I would be more sporting in similar circumstances in the near future.

Offline peter w

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 11:30:51 PM »
I remember watching us beat Gornik Zabrze during that run also. Same score as the Bilbao game as I remember 2-0 at home, and 1-1 away.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 01:42:31 PM »
I remember watching us beat Gornik Zabrze during that run also. Same score as the Bilbao game as I remember 2-0 at home, and 1-1 away.

And I think we wore our white away kit in at least one of those games at Villa Park

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 02:27:37 PM »
That takes me back!!! I was at both games loads of Villa over there, we seemed to take over Lloret for a few days....if it werent for Gidman getting sent off over there we may have had a chance especially when my personal 'Little' god gave us the lead.
Bloody Hell great memories - Flamingo Hotel in Lloret, we organised coaches from our hotel and ran what i tell everyone about 12 coaches but probably nearer 5 or 6. Had a week in Lloret for as much as what the Villa were charging for a one night stopover. Pissed up in the Londoner.

I too had a week in Lloret.  Can't remember the name of the hotel but do remember the nightclub it had underneath "Mr Mustache".  We arrived on the Monday to be greeted by a Villa fan who I think was associated with the Steamers, he was drunk and kept telling everybody not to use the hotel as he'd been threatened with a gun, not what a 16 year old wanted to hear on his first trip abroad.  Had a great time even though I was carrying an injury from football on the Sunday.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal