collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Stu
[Today at 10:27:23 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Stu
[Today at 10:25:23 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Small Rodent
[Today at 10:24:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 10:24:08 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:22:58 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:20:26 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 10:20:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:18:50 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: New head of European scouting  (Read 10914 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
New head of European scouting
« on: August 15, 2012, 04:17:13 PM »
http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2885487,00.html

Michael Henke - who was assistant manager to Ottmar Hitzfeld at Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich - has joined Villa as the club's new Head of European Scouting.

The experienced German will head up the club's European network in an overall structure that has been developed over the past two years.

Henke assumed responsibility for analysis and scouting at Bayern in 2008 when Hitzfeld was succeeded by Jurgen Klinsmann at the Bundesliga club and he is excited to be harnessing his vast experience in European football with a Barclays Premier club now managed by one of his former players, Paul Lambert.

"This is a similar role to one I held at Bayern when Klinsmann became manager and I am looking forward to working with the club and helping within the set-up already in place to identify players who will enhance the Villa team and the Villa squad," Henke said.

"Our objective will be to identify young players who have a good future and a good mentality. The Bundesliga, for example, has very good youth academies but our analysis of players will include other leagues, including the Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, Croatia, France, Spain and other countries. By definition, this is an extensive exercise.

"It is not only about good technique but it is also about the right character and what is required overall to be a successful player in the Premier League.

"It is not always about young, emerging talent either - also players with experience who will be motivated by the challenge and who we believe will bring the right qualities to Aston Villa and benefit the club.

"I visited the training ground at Bodymoor Heath several weeks ago and I'm very impressed by the set-up that is there - the academy, the facilities - all top-class.

"Of course, I also worked with Paul as a player at Borussia Dortmund and therefore I have known him for a long time.

"We share many of the same ideas about football. For instance, good organisation is paramount, as is an innate ethic which ensures that every player will work as hard as he can to achieve success.

"Paul has explained to me what type of qualities in particular that he will want most of all in the players we look at and clearly we will be looking at high quality in order to be able to compete well.

"I was able to be at the game in Werder Bremen on Saturday and I have been watching games already, including West Ham's recent games against Dresden and Cottbus with a view to looking at the opposition ahead of Villa's opening Premier League game on Saturday.

"I'm very much looking forward to working with Paul again and also with the club because Aston Villa is one of those old, traditional clubs in England. I can identify strongly with the club in terms of philosophy and commitment to quality and I very much hope to contribute to this."

Villa's domestic database of player analysis is overseen by Patrick Riley, with tools from Amisco being utilised for statistical background to enhance the club's knowledge in the recruitment process. Gareth Payne provides analysis of opposition players.

Henke's appointment and the arrival of players such as Karim El Ahmadi, Ron Vlaar and Brett Holman demonstrate the strong focus on the European market and new manager Lambert's determination to work with the club in enhancing key areas that will ensure long-term strength and development.

"It's great to have a man with Michael's experience and track record to come in to this role and I'm delighted that we've been able to bring him here," said Villa manager Paul Lambert.

"Michael has been successful with two great clubs in Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich, working with Ottmar Hitzfeld and together bringing Champions League success and a succession of Bundesliga titles to both clubs.

"In the European game he has an unbelievable wealth of experience and an enviable network of contacts. It's a great thing for Aston Villa that we have been able to attract a man of his calibre to the club."

Offline timeoutbigbar

Re: New head of European scouting
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 04:20:31 PM »
Just seen that.  Sounds like another step in the right direction.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 04:20:38 PM »
holy crap..this has taken far too long to become reality. Well done to the club...finally, because this is very important.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 04:24:30 PM »
Superb news

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 04:27:50 PM »
Really encouraging - at last we seem to be getting a proper, professional scouting set up which will look beyond the confines of domestic leagues to unearth talent. Also good to see that they'll be looking at character not just technical ability.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 04:37:46 PM »
Sounds like a good appointment.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 04:44:52 PM »
top man in his field and a very good appointment.

well done Villa

UTV
the Doc

Offline levico

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 04:45:12 PM »
Looking at the quotes, it's great to have some intelligence in the club.

Offline nigel

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 04:45:49 PM »
Could be signing some Germans too:-)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 04:47:23 PM »
I like the German element to it also. They have such a solid structure over there, especially with regard to how they bring through their players. If Lambert sees that in his dreams for us, then the future is certainly a good one. Finally there seems to be some sort of plan and long term thinking at the club. Long overdue.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 04:48:43 PM »
Sounds good. We've really been behind other clubs in the scouting department for too long, its good to see we're committed to improve and enhance our scouting capabilities across Europe.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 04:55:58 PM »
Yes, just had a text to confirm this. Good news and another reason why we need to keep one eye on the longer end game and not get too carried away if we lose, for example, to West Ham on Saturday. Not that it will stop me effing and blinding on the match thread of course when Carlton Cole knocks his fourth goal into the net...

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 04:58:49 PM »
Great news.
Long term planning and thinking for the club/team starting to emerge.
Fab!

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 04:58:52 PM »
As ever the proof of the pudding will be in the eating but I like what he has said there, reinforcing Lambert's view about players needing to have the right character.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 05:01:10 PM »
At fucking last! That is all

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal