collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lambert meeting supporters at Villa Park tonight  (Read 25422 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Lambert meeting supporters at Villa Park tonight
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 12:18:59 AM »
No, I don't mean having to get it wide all the time, just that the players have the versatility and flexibility to stay inside and play between the lines as you suggest but get wide as needed. I would say that Lambert will put a lot of emphasis on a compact centre and attacking full back play which is why I'm convinced an attacking full back is something he'd like to bring in. Lowton likes to get forward, and Stevens has tried to to but is a bit raw. Lichaj is a more solid, defensive full back that can play either side. I think we need a quick left back that is going to offer width as needed.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 01:58:15 AM »
Twitter people are saying he said a winger and a striker are his wants?

Not a left back?

Absolute opposite of that. He was asked about a striker and pretty much said no.

He was asked about playing with width and he said that it's becoming rarer and rarer these days and he prefers creative players behind the forwards.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 02:00:06 AM »
As I said before, I have a feeling Makoun will end up being filed away with the likes of Balaban, Berson and Ghrayib which might be a bit harsh seeing as he did start a few games in the half season he was around. Still seems like a dreadful return on the original investment though. A truly bizarre situation.

He's also a seasoned Champions League player who has played at a World Cup. It's clearly not going to work out as he doesn't want to be here, but he's plenty good enough.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 02:07:59 AM »

Not a left back?

Absolute opposite of that. He was asked about a striker and pretty much said no.

He was asked about playing with width and he said that it's becoming rarer and rarer these days and he prefers creative players behind the forwards.

Fascinating. I would say that wingers are largely being turned into wide-to-inside forwards, but its interesting nonetheless.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 06:32:29 AM »
I think we've seen plenty of evidence of that in preseason with Ireland and Holman often in those attacking midfield (nominally wide) positions. Even when CNZ has played wide he's spent most of his time behind the forwards.

Interesting to see how albrighton fits into this. He's a throwback out and out winger as ferguson called him.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2012, 08:32:48 AM »
The interesting thing will be to see what Lambert gets out of N'Zogbia. He knows there is a good player in there and I think he pointed to Charles not having been at his best. My view is that if he is still here come February, he must be doing very well. There will be no place for shirkers with money being tight.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2012, 11:18:56 AM »
Another thing that the Manager said was that young players who make it into the first team need not think that they have now done it all (or words to that effect). That sends out a strong message to quite a few players.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2012, 11:26:29 AM »
Another thing that the Manager said was that young players who make it into the first team need not think that they have now done it all (or words to that effect). That sends out a strong message to quite a few players.

Very good point to emphasise.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2012, 12:52:14 PM »

Not a left back?

Interesting stuff.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2012, 09:00:36 AM »
Not to be taken too seriously, just posting for a laugh really, but my ITK reckons:

At the first meeting with players PL asked 'how the hell were you lot in relegation trouble'? To which Collins replied 'formations'. 'Bullshit' said PL. 'Fighting in night clubs, that's why you were crap'. True or not, it made me laugh.

ITK also reckons wage bill is under control, getting towards 50% of turnover now.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2012, 09:53:27 AM »
He said something similar about Herd at the forum.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2012, 10:03:28 AM »
Talk is cheap. I like what i am hearing him saying but i really want to see it applied on the pitch. Anyone of our players takes the piss i want to see proper discipline and them dropped and other given the chance

Reputation should count for fuck all - effort / application / ability in the last game is all that counts

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2012, 10:04:49 AM »
Did he give the impression that he's here for the long haul, or that we're just another stepping stone to man u, arsenal etc?

Offline willywombat

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2012, 10:46:09 AM »
Did he give the impression that he's here for the long haul, or that we're just another stepping stone to man u, arsenal etc?

Come on, even if he was do you really think he would say so??

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2012, 10:56:47 AM »

Even if he did see it that way, think what an extraordinary job he'd have to do with us to get anywhere near those jobs.

That's the thing about us which works in our favour where managers are concerned. There are only a handful of bigger manager jobs in the league and there is a big gap between those jobs and our job, which means we have a relatively easy job holding on to our managers if they do well.

Look at The Blessed Martin for example, and where he ended up, despite doing well with us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal