collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Richard E
[Today at 11:00:08 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Richard E
[Today at 11:00:08 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by ChicagoLion
[Today at 10:54:17 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 10:51:38 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:50:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 10:47:03 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 10:46:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Your favourite GB Goldies.  (Read 9279 times)

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
Re: Your favourite GB Goldies.
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
Special mentions though to Andy Murray for putting back the cause of Scottish independence a generation, for Kath Grainger for sheer perseverance and the woman's pursuit team for showing kids that childhood illness is no barrier to being the best in the world.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 01:37:04 PM »
OK then, own up. Who voted for "Poncing around on a horse" as one of the top five golds ?

Offline evalast1910

• GM : 29.02.2016
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 01:51:16 PM »
Luke Campbell, first gold medallist from Hull and a really nice lad.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 02:12:04 PM »
GB - Mo Farah for showing unbelievable courage and commitment in both events. Thou shalt not pass.

Over the whole Olympics, David Rudisha's 800m was simply draw-dropping.

Low points - any former drug cheat who came away with a medal this time.

Offline Dave Summers

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 02:48:10 PM »
Not an individual but my favourite was the girl in the pair's rowing who just threw her arms in the air and screamed "Oh my God we've just won The Olympics!"

I was extremely fortunate to attend the rowing on that day and saw Kath Copeland and Sophie Hosking win.   I also went the day before, so my personal medal haul is 3 golds, 1 silver and 2 bronze (including Robbie Grabarz in High Jump last Tuesday)

You won't be surprised to learn that I have never attended a regatta before now, but my daughter and I had the time of our lives at Eton.  We really enjoyed the mens four on Saturday winning, as they beat the Australians and kept that particular gold medal in British hands for the 4th Olympics on the bounce.

I love the brutality and power of the sport and how every single rower leaves everything they have on the water, there is none of this "well I didn't feel right today and not sure what happened" every rower from every country gave the maximum.

On that note the personal highlight of the events I saw was actually Alan Campbell's bronze in the Single scull.  I can testify that the "Eton Roar" is indeed that loud and can categorically state that Campbell would not have got that medal anywhere but at a home games.   The bloke had nothing left to give when he passed me about 150 metres from the finish, the crowd lifted him though and he somehow squeezed in for bronze.   The TV pictures afterwards showed him unable to get up, such had been his effort.  Ditto Mark Hunter the next day.

I am gutted that it is all over and will probably be something I never experience again.  However, as I said at the top, my good fortune in attending the games is not lost on me.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 03:42:35 PM »
Not an individual but my favourite was the girl in the pair's rowing who just threw her arms in the air and screamed "Oh my God we've just won The Olympics!"

I was extremely fortunate to attend the rowing on that day and saw Kath Copeland and Sophie Hosking win.   I also went the day before, so my personal medal haul is 3 golds, 1 silver and 2 bronze (including Robbie Grabarz in High Jump last Tuesday)

You won't be surprised to learn that I have never attended a regatta before now, but my daughter and I had the time of our lives at Eton.  We really enjoyed the mens four on Saturday winning, as they beat the Australians and kept that particular gold medal in British hands for the 4th Olympics on the bounce.

I love the brutality and power of the sport and how every single rower leaves everything they have on the water, there is none of this "well I didn't feel right today and not sure what happened" every rower from every country gave the maximum.

On that note the personal highlight of the events I saw was actually Alan Campbell's bronze in the Single scull.  I can testify that the "Eton Roar" is indeed that loud and can categorically state that Campbell would not have got that medal anywhere but at a home games.   The bloke had nothing left to give when he passed me about 150 metres from the finish, the crowd lifted him though and he somehow squeezed in for bronze.   The TV pictures afterwards showed him unable to get up, such had been his effort.  Ditto Mark Hunter the next day.

I am gutted that it is all over and will probably be something I never experience again.  However, as I said at the top, my good fortune in attending the games is not lost on me.

glad you had a great time, like you say probably never happen again in our lifetimes.

my Mum was saying the other day that she wished she coud go and see the Olympic park, wasnt bothered about what she saw, anyway i sugested the Paralympics
Mum and Dad are both in there 70's now and got tickets for the stadium for £5 and the train fair from M Keynes is £9 return, so £14 for a day out at the Olympic park is good value, obviously this would be pesioners rates, but even so

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 06:17:58 PM »
I'm taking the boys to see the athletics at the Paralympics for £5 each.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 06:24:36 PM »
Laura Trott

a) because I'm in love ( I can't help but smile whenever she does).
b) because of that picture of a 12-year old scrawny kid (prematurely born with a collapsed lung, asthmatic) with Wiggins' Gold Medal around her neck and the way insipration can take you. This is what it's about for me.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 07:59:09 PM »
I went for:

Mo Farah - If there was a better image of the fabulousness of what a gold medal means than Mo crossing the line, I didn't see it.
Sir Chris Hoy - The man is everything an elite athlete should be
Laura Trott - Not just for looks, but to see an athlete at the start of what could be an incredible career is brilliant. Her personality is a winner too
Andy Murray - I firmly believe this will see Murray win a major title soon, and forget all that gumf about Federer not being bothered, he could have chucked in the towel against Del Potro but played a zillion games to reach that final.
Peter Wilson - Hasn't got the glamour of the other events, but the man was as still as a lamppost all through that competition and when he won he collapsed to the ground like the only thing holding him up was the desire to win a medal for his country. His reaction when his dad found him afterwards was pretty heart-warming too

But that's a difficult pick, 'cos they all meant something to me. It was a wrench to leave out Sir Wiggo, lovely Queen Vicky and Dame Jess!

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 09:23:47 PM »
There was a bit in the individual event Victoria Pendleton won the gold in, where with 2 laps to go, she was near the back of the pack, then suddenly puts her foot down and just sails past the entire field into the lead.

Gobsmacking.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 09:31:39 PM »
Go Mo

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 09:47:26 PM »
There was a bit in the individual event Victoria Pendleton won the gold in, where with 2 laps to go, she was near the back of the pack, then suddenly puts her foot down and just sails past the entire field into the lead.

Gobsmacking.

In the Omnium event, especially the elimination race, there were several laps where Laura looked like she was in danger of getting trapped at the back and being eliminated, and suddenly she would find a non existent gap and be somewhere at the front again as they crossed the line.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2012, 10:01:43 PM »
Every single one of them deserves a err medal for uniting the country like I have never experienced in my life.  I no longer feel slightly ashamed of being british.

I think the guy that personifies this the most is Mo.  His brilliance must make it that much harder for the Express/Star/Mail to write their poisonous rubbish.

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2012, 10:17:51 PM »
Managed to get into stadium for the Golden hour - at the back of the athletes seating.

Jess - MO - Greg      3 Golds an hour.

Was under the stand for MO's 2nd Gold but got out to sing the Anthem at his medal ceremony.

Only 6 medals in T&F but it is the one sport that all the world takes part in - so to win against all the world is really special.  And 80,000 crowds for every session.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2012, 02:43:52 PM »
Laura Trott is absolutely lovely isn't she? All smiles and genuine humility.

In fact, she's so nice, I don't think my main feeling towards her is the predictable one of shallow sexual attraction.

I think I actually want to be her Dad - take her to races, make sure she's ok, stop her hanging around with boys who may become a bad influence etc etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal