collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Friday fun: Who winds you up the most?  (Read 29424 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Friday fun: Who winds you up the most?
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2012, 10:28:11 AM »
Christ, where to start?!

I think I'd have to pick O'Leary, although they all have their faults.  I did actually enjoy O'Leary's first season, especially after Christmas, but the one thing that continues to stick in my craw where he's concerned is the [mis]use of the word fickle.  Any criticism of anything from the fans and it gets trotted out, usally after the words, "O'Leary WAS right, Villa fans ARE....".

I'd then go for O'Neill, purely for wasting such an incredible amount of money and buying absolute deadbeats like Harewood and Heskey.

Then I'd put Houllier and McLeish jointly, McLeish for being spectacularly inept and the worst Villa manager in a generation; and Houllier for being rubbish and all the stupid foot-in-mouth comments.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2012, 10:32:06 AM »
I'll go for McCatpiss.
Did his utmost to relegate us and got us playing the worst brand of football I can ever remember at Villa Park.

O'Leary and O'Neill are egomaniacs who saw themselves bigger than the club.
Houllier was well past his sell by date.

Offline villastikz

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2012, 10:32:41 AM »
Personally I don't think Houllier should be up there, he never really done nothing wrong for us and was aiming to achieve what Lambert is and get us playing football not hoofball.

Just looking at TSM I want to tear him a new orifice, not so much for the boring negative football, not for playing players out of position, not for his useless team formations and not for nearly getting us relegated.

I hate him for the way he refused to accept any responsibility for how shite we were, he blamed everyone and everything but never once put his hands up and said sorry, I got it wrong and he had the audacity to claim the majority of the Villa fans supported him and it was only a small minority that wanted him sacked.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2012, 10:33:18 AM »
McLeish, on the other hand, is a football pariah, and in one season, managed to make me embarassed to support Aston Villa, had the rest of the league hoping we'd go down, and played the most humiliating, defensive, unambitious football I have seen at Villa Park in decades.

This for me.  Things went horribly wrong with O'Leary, especially towards the end, but you could see some semblence of logic in his appointment.  Mcleish though, was a staggeringly, bizarrely, freakishly, nonsensicallly bad appointment.  And he proved it.

Yes, he shouldn't have got the job in the first place, but the fact that he did is a criticism of the board and not TSM himself.

After that he did he best, which was nowhere near good enough, but you always felt he was honoured to be Villa manager and treated the job with respect.

MON may not have had that respect in the way he left, but at least when he was here he talked us up and had us competing at the right end of the table.

And then there's David O'pleasefuckoff.  Thought he was doing us a favour by being here and would happily tell us so.  One good season followed by slow deterioration, which was due to just having an 'honest bunch of lads' to work with.  Grade A wanker and I hope he rots in the 12th layer of Hell alongside Bono and the bloke that invented 'text speak'.

Offline NeilH

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2012, 10:34:45 AM »
O'Leary. The memory of his condescending attitude towards the fans still annoys me even now.

Even TSM did not wind me up as much as him. A self-serving idiot, who managed to do the unthinkable and alienate every single fan (bar one on here as I recall ;-) ).
That Doncaster game and subsequent comments will last long in the memory for me.
TSM was simply a hopeless manager inexplicably elevated to manager of our great club. He was clueless and useless, but at least his understand what it meant to be our manager and said the right things. O'Dreary spent most of his time behaving as if he was doing us a favor by managing us.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2012, 10:39:41 AM »
Mcshit, he never should have got the job and he was a ****** from start to finish, it was never him it was the players etc, At least Dolly started off ok

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2012, 10:43:23 AM »
After that he did he best, which was nowhere near good enough, but you always felt he was honoured to be Villa manager and treated the job with respect.

I know it depends on what you define as "respect", but for me, sending us out to play for a draw, and then to keep the score down, so often is not showing the Villa job the respect it deserves. The frequency with which we were devoid of ambition, and embarassed ourselves, for me don't reflect respect for the club.

Neither does punching the air after managing to hold on for a point at home to Stoke, having lead with 10 mins to go.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 10:45:17 AM by pauliewalnuts »

Offline NeilH

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2012, 10:45:01 AM »
At least Dolly started off ok

And boy did he let us know how good he was as a manager during the good times. Or at least he did whilst pausing from eulogizing over Leeds and Arsenal.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2012, 10:52:26 AM »

I know it depends on what you define as "respect", but for me, sending us out to play for a draw, and then to keep the score down, so often is not showing the Villa job the respect it deserves. The frequency with which we were devoid of ambition, and embarassed ourselves, for me don't reflect respect for the club.

Neither does punching the air after managing to hold on for a point at home to Stoke, having lead with 10 mins to go.

I get what you mean, but for me those were more signs of his lack of ability and playing style than his attitude towards being Villa manager.  He was proud to have the job, but didn't know how to do it properly.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2012, 10:58:57 AM »
DOL. We have never really shaken that fickle tag.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2012, 10:59:13 AM »
It as got to be O'Leary for me.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2012, 10:59:48 AM »
DOL is out in front. Expected more votes for MON if I'm honest.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2012, 11:01:01 AM »
DOL is out in front. Expected more votes for MON if I'm honest.

The extent to which MON wound people up is going to be affected by the fact he got good league finishes with us, which cancels out the ill-feeling for many (not surprising, really).

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2012, 11:03:27 AM »
Definitely TSM. O'Leary was long ago now and my feelings towards him have almost been forgotten, and at least MON and Houiller actually did do some good things for the club, unlike McLeish.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2012, 11:06:08 AM »

In order:

McLeish.
McLeish.
McLeish.
and
McLeish.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal