collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by rob_bridge
[Today at 11:29:21 AM]

NSWE Investment by eamonn
[Today at 11:25:29 AM]

Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Risso
[Today at 11:04:59 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:02:18 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by Dogtanian
[Today at 10:58:42 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by AV82EC
[Today at 10:54:31 AM]

Champions League Contention by LeeS
[Today at 10:41:54 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by LeeB
[Today at 09:55:19 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by rob_bridge
[Today at 11:29:21 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by eamonn
[Today at 11:25:29 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 11:24:36 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 11:19:44 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Smithy
[Today at 11:07:31 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Risso
[Today at 11:04:59 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by JUAN PABLO
[Today at 11:04:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by amfy
[Today at 11:02:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Injuries  (Read 21628 times)

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
Re: Injuries
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 11:07:03 AM »
From the OS:

Paul Lambert is hoping Darren Bent will be fit to play a part in Saturday's pre-season clash at Nottingham Forest.

Lambert revealed Bent is making good progress as he battles back from the thigh strain he picked up training on the USA Tour.

And the boss is eager to see him compete at the City Ground this weekend.

Lambert also revealed that Gabby Agbonlahor [knee], Richard Dunne [groin] and Marc Albrighton [foot] will all miss the start of the season through injury.

Agbonlahor is out for four-five weeks while Dunne is likely to be absent for six-eight weeks.

Lambert told AVTV: "Darren will be fine. He got a thigh injury in the USA and he will not be too far away from Saturday, depending on how he's feeling. But he's fine.

"Gabby is a bit longer. It's his knee and he will miss the start of the season.

"Richard will miss the start of the season. Marc will miss the start of the season. It's a blow but that's football at times. You just have to pick yourself up and go again."

Lambert accepted that while it was frustrating to see three senior stars sidelined, it also presented an opportunity for his other players to make an impact as the new campaign starts.

He added: "I have great belief in the players.They will give it everything they've got and at the end of the day that's all you can ask."

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 12:36:30 PM »
Another eason to like PL - does not get excuses in all the time "Just have to get on with it and its an opportunity for others to shine"

Must say i have been nothing but impressed with the guy since he walked through the door

Would like another couple of players in though just to ensure we are not too light and dependant on kids

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 12:43:17 PM »
Its a real shame for Gab as he's suffered from injuries in pre season before and this has effected his form during the season,hopefully this season will be different.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 01:06:43 PM »
...hopefully this season will be different.

I doubt it.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 01:30:41 PM »
Whilst I'm pretty impressed with the quality of signings recently, if the mantra is going to be one in, one out, then I'm far from convinced the squad will be strong enough.

We need more bodies in, but not necessarily with people moving out.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 02:28:11 PM »
Whilst I'm pretty impressed with the quality of signings recently, if the mantra is going to be one in, one out, then I'm far from convinced the squad will be strong enough.

I think they'll be looking at from a wage point of view, sell a 40k a week player and you can spend the same on wages, whether that's 1 or more players is up to you.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 02:44:50 PM »
injuries give chances to others though. huge chance for ciaran clark to be a regular at centre half with 2 months or so to bed down a partnership with vlaar.

Offline Chipsticks

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 02:51:39 PM »
injuries give chances to others though. huge chance for ciaran clark to be a regular at centre half with 2 months or so to bed down a partnership with vlaar.

But what worries me is what happens if one of those two gets injured? With Vlaar's supposed history of injuries and the fact that Clark missed a fair bit of last season with injury, it's not totally out of the question.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 03:03:27 PM »

I've never thought we had an issue with numbers, just quality.  So I'm pretty happy with the size of the squad and would be happy enough with a 'one in one out' rule, provided the one in is better than the one out!

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 03:04:29 PM »

But what worries me is what happens if one of those two gets injured? With Vlaar's supposed history of injuries and the fact that Clark missed a fair bit of last season with injury, it's not totally out of the question.

Personally, I have no problem with Baker playing!

Offline Chipsticks

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 03:06:16 PM »

I think he has potential, but I wasn't 100% impressed with his performances last season - particularly in the Chelsea game, in which you could blame him for two of their goals.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 03:35:04 PM »

I think he has potential, but I wasn't 100% impressed with his performances last season - particularly in the Chelsea game, in which you could blame him for two of their goals.

I think that's the only game where he really struggled for me, it was also a game where we simply refused to keep the ball, I can't see many teams having that level of sustained pressure against us this season.  He's probably a risk to start regularly at the minute but he's more than capable as backup and should only improve from here.

Offline Chipsticks

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 04:09:34 PM »

I think that's the only game where he really struggled for me, it was also a game where we simply refused to keep the ball, I can't see many teams having that level of sustained pressure against us this season.  He's probably a risk to start regularly at the minute but he's more than capable as backup and should only improve from here.

I hope you're right!

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 04:16:51 PM »
Every defender will have a mare of a game from time to time. Especially one so early in his career. Over the years I saw Evans, Southgate, Olly, Southgate, Laursen and even God make mistakes and have poor games.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2012, 04:27:17 PM »
Especially youngsters,i think he has the ability and attitude to learn from his rare mistakes.

The only young player i can remember slotting straight in and not putting a foot wrong was Barry.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal