collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Injuries  (Read 21642 times)

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
Injuries
« on: August 01, 2012, 09:27:29 PM »
Just a thread for discussing and sharing news of player injuries. We had a lot last season and it looks like it's going to be the same this time around.

We currently have Gabby and Dunne as definites. Bent also appears to be missing from tonight's friendly with a strain or something. Does anybody know anything of the supposed Albrighton broken foot? I heard the rumours but have read nothing official.

Offline Chipsticks

Re: Injuries
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 09:31:45 PM »
And now apparently Chris Herd's been injured in the Peterborough friendly.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 10:36:21 PM »
Bent was looking to make the forest game. Personally, if he doesn't make that I don't think I'd start him v west ham. He hasn't plate more than 2 games in 6 months. Fonz and CNZ up front is a bit worrying!

Offline Chipsticks

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 11:03:19 PM »
Bent was looking to make the forest game. Personally, if he doesn't make that I don't think I'd start him v west ham. He hasn't plate more than 2 games in 6 months. Fonz and CNZ up front is a bit worrying!

I think the problem with that logic is that you need to get games into him at some point and by leaving him out you might make the situation worse. I reckon he'll play the second half of the Forest game and the whole of the Werder Breman game, he needs a goal.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 11:14:39 PM »
I'd like to see us make an effort to resign Robbie Keane. He was brilliant for us before, and seemed to enjoy his time here. The way we play now compared to the way we played under TSM would really suit his game.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 11:48:02 PM »
We are definitely short. Even at full strength centre back, centre mid and centre forward are areas we're two injuries away from crisis.

Offline Chipsticks

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 01:03:17 AM »
Good thing is I think Lambert knows this. Zog, Vlaar, or Bent getting injured would scupper us right up.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 05:39:22 AM »
I think an el ahmadi injury would leave us entirely reliant on youth in midfield. We've really struggled when that's happened with one or two honourable exceptions.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 06:24:20 AM »
I think an el ahmadi injury would leave us entirely reliant on youth in midfield. We've really struggled when that's happened with one or two honourable exceptions.

But at least with Lamberts approach to the game our youth is seemingly effective. They play with the freedom and confidence we see in the reserves.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 07:21:26 AM »
Yes, but if el ahmadi were out of the west ham game, who would you play in central midfield? Bannan and Gardner? I can't imagine herd has impressed lambert from what I've seen. I have to say I wouldn't fancy any of the options I can conceive of. Perhaps lowton would play there, though he hasn't played that role for us yet

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 08:29:48 AM »
Not ideal but in these austere times I’d prefer to see us use our younger players and be a bit more flexible with the players we have than sign players to cover injuries.  Players like Herd, Holman, Clark, Warnock, Lowton can cover a number of positions.  Then you have the likes of Weimann, Fonz, Curruthers, Johnson, Baker who will not get games if we have a deep (expensive) squad.

So in many ways injuries are a way of ensuring that every squad member is being fully used.  Counter intuitive but I see the odd injury as a good thing as it gives a youngster a chance and arguably brings more unity to the squad.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 09:03:14 AM »
Yes, but if el ahmadi were out of the west ham game, who would you play in central midfield? Bannan and Gardner? I can't imagine herd has impressed lambert from what I've seen. I have to say I wouldn't fancy any of the options I can conceive of. Perhaps lowton would play there, though he hasn't played that role for us yet

This is the risk you run by operating with a small squad. Once a few of the influential senior players are out for a while it can quickly be a crisis situation as last season. I'm all for selling/releasing the likes of Hutton, Heskey, Cuellar etc. (although not convinced that was the right move with Carlos) but equally you should be looking to keep the squad numbers up.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 09:03:22 AM »
Herd did really well for us last season and I see him as the understudy to KEA in the DCM role.

We have a couple of short to mid-term injuries right now, but I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 10:45:14 AM »
Does anyone know how bad the injury is to Herd? I think we need to be careful on this, were a couple of injuries away from trouble

Offline Chipsticks

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 11:06:23 AM »
Does anyone know how bad the injury is to Herd? I think we need to be careful on this, were a couple of injuries away from trouble

I heard he just took a knock as he challenged for an aerial ball, I don't think it's anything too serious.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal