collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Small Rodent
[Today at 10:57:27 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:55:17 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:51:09 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Stu
[Today at 10:51:03 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Richard
[Today at 10:47:48 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:44:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 10:44:17 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 10:43:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Get The Holte End back  (Read 9730 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Get The Holte End back
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 08:40:10 AM »
From Pravda:

Darren Bent has backed a fan initiative to bring the fun back to the Holte End.

'Get the Holte End Back' has been started up on several message boards calling for supporters to bring scarves, balloons and streamers to create a real party atmosphere in the powerful sector of the stadium.

Bent is a firm admirer of the Holte End and is happy to back the plea.

He said: "Even during our tough season last time out, the Holte End was still singing, chanting and getting right behind us. They were supporting us 100%.

"It's a great place to play football at Villa Park. But last season our home form let us down and we need to improve on that this season.

"We want fans to wake up and think 'yes it's matchday, we're off to Villa Park.'

"I know there's a new campaign around where fans are being encouraged to really unite in the Holte End, with scarves and balloon and things like that. I am all for it!

"It's all good fun, it creates an added atmosphere in the stadium and the lads would love it.

"I know last season was difficult for the Villa fans. At times we weren't playing the best but I am sure this season it will be better."

The supporter-led initiative was started on Twitter and Facebook by Villa fan Andy Bishop.

Andy - known on Twitter as @BruceRioch4 - says the idea of the campaign is to try and recapture some of the magic of the 1970s and 80s in the famous stand by bringing along scarves, balloons and streamers.

"This is not another half hearted plea to 'bring atmosphere to B6' or another group being formed, its just merely a heartfelt cry for the return of the Holte End, the Holte our fathers, grandfathers knew," he said.

"Groups split people, divide fans, alienate themselves from certain sectors.

"This is just a simple ask to bring scarfs, balloons, streamers or even a toilet roll - anything that's reminiscent of the old days, the Third Division days.

"The times when football was at its worst, Villa were rock bottom but when the Holte End was there, standing loud and proud across Europe.

"When travelling fans came to B6 they knew when they saw the magnificent sight of the Holte that they were in for a battle."

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 08:41:25 AM »
Wouldn't you get removed from the ground if you threw a toilet roll?

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 08:45:20 AM »
Wouldn't you get removed from the ground if you threw a toilet roll?
[/quote

I am sure one of those soft double quilted ones smelling of lavender would be fine. A used roll of the tracing paper stuff we used to have in schools in the 70 s would definitely get you sent out though, and probably carted off to clink.

It may be simpler to just bung an Andrex puppy from the back of the Holte....

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 09:08:33 AM »
Might be a good idea to fly all the Holte End stewards out to the Werder Bremen match so that they can learn how to let fans enjoy themselves and still ensure their safety.

Offline peter w

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 09:11:29 AM »
Ah, the 80s. Those mad Holte End days in front of 8000 hardy souls.

Offline philthebar

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 09:34:02 AM »

Have you not read Consider Her Ways by John Wyndham?

Yes, and Others  ;)

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 09:37:58 AM »
From Pravda:

'Get the Holte End Back' has been started up on several message boards calling for supporters to bring scarves, balloons and streamers to create a real party atmosphere in the powerful sector of the stadium.

He said: "Even during our tough season last time out, the Holte End was still singing, chanting and getting right behind us. They were supporting us 100%.

"It's a great place to play football at Villa Park. But last season our home form let us down and we need to improve on that this season.

"We want fans to wake up and think 'yes it's matchday, we're off to Villa Park.'

"I know there's a new campaign around where fans are being encouraged to really unite in the Holte End, with scarves and balloon and things like that. I am all for it!

"It's all good fun, it creates an added atmosphere in the stadium and the lads would love it.

"I know last season was difficult for the Villa fans. At times we weren't playing the best but I am sure this season it will be better."

The supporter-led initiative was started on Twitter and Facebook by Villa fan Andy Bishop.

Andy - known on Twitter as @BruceRioch4 - says the idea of the campaign is to try and recapture some of the magic of the 1970s and 80s in the famous stand by bringing along scarves, balloons and streamers.

"This is not another half hearted plea to 'bring atmosphere to B6' or another group being formed, its just merely a heartfelt cry for the return of the Holte End, the Holte our fathers, grandfathers knew," he said.

"This is just a simple ask to bring scarfs, balloons, streamers or even a toilet roll - anything that's reminiscent of the old days, the Third Division days.

"The times when football was at its worst, Villa were rock bottom but when the Holte End was there, standing loud and proud across Europe.

"When travelling fans came to B6 they knew when they saw the magnificent sight of the Holte that they were in for a battle."

The only atmosphere I recall last season was when we got back to 2-2 v Chelsea.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 09:44:33 AM »
From Pravda:

The only atmosphere I recall last season was when we got back to 2-2 v Chelsea.

I'm fairly sure I started crying when Lichaje equalised. Best four minutes of the season (until they went and scored another two)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 11:44:02 AM »
The best way to "get it back" is to turn half of it to safe standing.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012, 12:41:30 PM »
It's much needed, but I can't help but feel a little embarrassed that we need the campaign.

It's not the first campaign of this type.  We had the "Be The 12th Man" campaign not so long ago, and I doubt we're the only club/fanbase who are campaigning like this as there are a few grounds that could do with some more atmosphere nowadays.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 12:53:32 PM »
I'm sure there are a certain section of our support who like the idea of the away fans knowing they face a battle.

Shame some of them are banned.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2012, 01:10:20 PM »
I'm sure there are a certain section of our support who like the idea of the away fans knowing they face a battle.

Shame some of them are banned.
I sense that you're fishing here, and I'm going to down a well-worn path with this, but if you're referring to certain elements of our support who fancy a fight, then no it isn't, imo. I also think the "you'd be happy for them to be around if it ever kicked off" argument often used as a justification is a load of bollocks.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2012, 05:45:03 PM »
'Kin 'ell, I was only joking. Just thought 'the away fans knew they were in for a battle' was a funny choice of words for a club-backed initiative. The last sentence was just a clue to what I meant by 'a certain section'. Not really fussed about the bans - they know the consequences, even if some of the other sentences are way over the top compared to similar behaviour away from football. I'm also not trying to say there are altruistic motives like defending fellow fans, people do it for fun, and that's about it IMO.

I think there's more important things to get worked up about than two lots of lads who want a fight, having a fight, but we've been there before, so balls to it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 05:55:57 PM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2012, 05:48:42 PM »
It's much needed, but I can't help but feel a little embarrassed that we need the campaign.

It's not the first campaign of this type.  We had the "Be The 12th Man" campaign not so long ago, and I doubt we're the only club/fanbase who are campaigning like this as there are a few grounds that could do with some more atmosphere nowadays.

Ah, I remember that one. I even 'participated' (made the effort to bring a scarf).

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2012, 06:26:03 PM »
'Kin 'ell, I was only joking. Just thought 'the away fans knew they were in for a battle' was a funny choice of words for a club-backed initiative. The last sentence was just a clue to what I meant by 'a certain section'. Not really fussed about the bans - they know the consequences, even if some of the other sentences are way over the top compared to similar behaviour away from football. I'm also not trying to say there are altruistic motives like defending fellow fans, people do it for fun, and that's about it IMO.

I think there's more important things to get worked up about than two lots of lads who want a fight, having a fight, but we've been there before, so balls to it.
Apologies, sense of humour failure today it would appear.....

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal