collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park as an Olympics Venue  (Read 43593 times)

Offline Karl Bridges

Re: Villa Park as an Olympics Venue
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 12:29:21 PM »
So because Team GB werent going to come and the massively oversubscribed and commercially lucrative non-matchday business (such as weddings and conferences) and the disruption to the start of the season (but its ok for ManUre and Newcastle - both finished higher than Villa last season) its not in the 'best interests of Aston Villa'.

Well done Paul.

I think when a decision is made that can affect thousands of jobs, businesses and lives of ordinary people it should be taken out of the hands of those who think for the minority and should be put as an open question to the majority - the people of Birmingham.

I know it's your opinion and you're entitled to it but I would laugh in your face if you said it whilst I was there. Utterly ridiculous, AVFC should always come first and a little bit of refelected glory from the Olympics is countered by getting the Community Shield, which will bring more money to the areaas it will be a sell out and more people will watch it worldwide.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 12:40:28 PM »
Fuck the people of Birmingham, they're all b-losers aren't they?

At our first game back we would have been greeted by 'Shit On The Villa' spelt wrong in crayon all over the bogs.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 12:46:43 PM »
So because Team GB werent going to come and the massively oversubscribed and commercially lucrative non-matchday business (such as weddings and conferences) and the disruption to the start of the season (but its ok for ManUre and Newcastle - both finished higher than Villa last season) its not in the 'best interests of Aston Villa'.

Well done Paul.

I think when a decision is made that can affect thousands of jobs, businesses and lives of ordinary people it should be taken out of the hands of those who think for the minority and should be put as an open question to the majority - the people of Birmingham.

I'm not a Faulkner fan - he has a long way to go before he's restored his reputation in my opinion, but that's a whole different argument - but I really don't see what the problem is with this.

We were originally down to be a venue, then the club pulled out because they thought there would be work being done on the North Stand. The Olympics weren't just planned a few months ago, the plans have been laid for several years now.

The fact we ended up having two horrendous seasons and much lower crowds (for all the various reasons) meant that we didn't have to do the building work, and could have hosted games, but by then the plans were already laid elsewhere.

Besides, how much business do these matches bring? 14,000 people at Coventry last night for their first match.

That's pathetic. We probably bring more business to the City with a medium sized convention than a crowd the size Blues get. In fact, I bet hosting the Jamaican and US track and field teams for a week or so brought in more money.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 12:50:01 PM »
A key thing is we can sell advertising for the community shield, we couldn't have for the olympics.

We'll also definitely have a full ground, not sure what attendances there have been so far but I'd guess we'd not get a sell out.

We'll probably also get a better share of the ticket revenue as well.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 12:50:30 PM »

Well done Paul.

Who would have thought it, the CEO of Aston Villa doing what's right for Aston Villa. Wonders will never cease.

Totally agree, sorry Remy but Aston Villa comes before anything else. I dont want the Olymics at Villa. We dont need exposure for our fabulous ground as it is world renowned already, also the olymics wouldnt have been particularly worth while financially. Everything points to a No from me

Offline nigel

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 12:56:29 PM »

Well done Paul.

I know it's your opinion and you're entitled to it but I would laugh in your face if you said it whilst I was there. Utterly ridiculous, AVFC should always come first and a little bit of refelected glory from the Olympics is countered by getting the Community Shield, which will bring more money to the areaas it will be a sell out and more people will watch it worldwide.

Agree Karl.
I think PF has got it spot on again.
We'd have had 3 or 4 games which would have probably only sold about 10,000 (given the Coventry game) Which would hardly cover cost of opening the ground.
The Community Shield will be a sell out and will most likely bring as much money to the local area.
Yes, Well done Paul

Offline Ducksworthy

• GM : 20.02.2025
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 01:00:26 PM »

Thousands of jobs and business, ey?

When Seb Coe and Tony Blair triumphantly announced that London had won the Olympics on 6 July 2005, one of their mantras was how London and the UK would benefit from the presence of the games. They painted a rosy picture of local businesses booming on the back of the influx of tourists.

But the cold reality of today's Olympics is greyer. Commuters are being advised to work from home rather than use the overloaded transport networks; the civil service is effectively shutting down; and Zil lanes for the "great and the good" of the Olympics universe are choking already congested London streets.

Even worse, businesses across the UK, but particularly the local ones in the economically deprived environs of the Olympic Park in East London, are categorically NOT allowed to benefit from the games. Under the terms of the contracts drawn up by the corporate mega-sponsors, London small businesses are not allowed to capitalise in any conceivable, possible, miniscule way on the presence of the games in their own city.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/annie-machon/the-olympics-welcome-to-t_b_1700736.html

Offline paul_e

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 01:05:16 PM »
That last paragraph sums up everything that is wrong with major sporting events like this for me.

All the sponsors have such tight deals that they effectively ruin local businesses while the event is on.  The mcdonalds chips/fries one is the high profile one that everyone has read about but there are loads of others just the same.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 01:10:31 PM »

Well done Paul.

There are reasons why Paul Faulkner is CEO of Aston Villa.  The main one being that he knows a thing or two about business fortunately. 

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 01:17:05 PM »

Well done Paul.

That's the single biggest pile of shite I've read on here for some time.

Why the fuck should we give up our commercial space at probably the most important time of the season, to a tax-dodging corporate bandwagon?

Offline Nirog72

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 01:18:50 PM »
I think PF has been, quite rightly, criticised for a good few things in the last couple of years. What is also quite apparent at the moment is he does quite a few things pretty well as well, possibly better than many other CEO's of football clubs. We invested in him to run a business first, rather than a football club and he will undoubtedly be better at the former than the latter. It takes us back to the argument about having a football man beside him. As for the Olympics, I think it will be good but whether it would have benefitted Villa to host is very doubtful.

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 01:32:50 PM »
I don't think any British commercial interest are served by the olympics! Certainly we wouldn't have made any money out of hosting football matches as any share of the revenue would have gone on the costs of opening up VP to a few thousand fans.

Offline richardhubbard

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 01:41:24 PM »
If we have got a match involving Team GB, Spain or Brazil , it would have been good for Birmingham Profile

Manchester economy benefited hugely last night from a 72000 ground with a lot of fans from outside Manchester and to be fair I really enjoyed the "whole" olympic experience

Offline paul_e

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 01:45:11 PM »
If we'd been a host coventry wouldn't have been.

Look at the games they've got, they're what we'd have been given.

Are any of them worth the effort?

Offline The Villa Werewolf

• GM : 13.07.2015
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2012, 01:59:55 PM »

Well done Paul.

In what way would a handful of games between teams nobody gives a shit about in front of a half empty stadium impact on the jobs, business and lives of the people of the city in general, you lunatic?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal