collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park as an Olympics Venue  (Read 43769 times)

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
Villa Park as an Olympics Venue
« on: July 27, 2012, 10:54:55 AM »
Stop me if I have got this wrong - but didnt we pull out of using Villa Park as an Olympics Venue because we had plans to demolish the North Stand and increase the capacity to over 50,000?

According to the newspaper reports the decision was made to pull out before the start of the 2009-2010 season, the previous season (Moscow debacle and relegating Newcastle) finishing 6th and 10 points off a Champions league place with us getting full houses or close to full houses on 8 home games.

In the past I have read that Spuds and Arse have full houses every home game and there is a waiting list for season tickets. I would say that we are the biggest club in the West midlands area in terms of fanbase and honours. Did the management get a bit carried away?

I went to watch Belarus vs New Zealand last night over at Coventry's stadium. There was a fantastic atmoshpere (and plenty of empty seats) and the prices of a cold drink disgraceful. But the fact that it was part of the olympics and the showcase for the city and prestige for the stadium, I believe that the Board made an error here and should have waited until there was a tangible demand for seats at Villa Park before making that kind of decision. I remember both Newcastle and ManUre both rebuilding stands purely because of a huge waiting list.

Im sure the size of Birmingham and its location would have made a better venue for people across the country rather than some midland backwater.

Offline The Villa Werewolf

• GM : 13.07.2015
Re: Villa Park as an Olympics Venue
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 11:16:51 AM »
From a Supporter's Consultation Meeting earlier this year:

Question Nine: Do you regret turning down the chance of Olympic Football now that no development is taking place at Villa Park this summer?

No. We held preliminary discussions with LOCOG about the possibility of hosting some games, (none of which were to feature Team GB), in the Olympic football tournament in 2008 and early 2009, but took the decision that the requirements of LOCOG around exclusive access to Villa Park and the potential disruption that would cause to our preparations for the start of the 2012-13 season, as well as our non-matchday business (such as conferences and weddings) during the summer, meant that hosting such games was not in the best interests of Aston Villa.This decision was never made in light of firm plans for development work to be taking place at the stadium this summer. We hope and expect that the Olympics will be a fantastic success for the country, and will be cheering on all of the British athletes involved in the games.

Paul Faulkner, Chief Executive

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 11:23:05 AM »
At least we have the Community Shield and the prospect of a sell out.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 11:26:41 AM »
From a Supporter's Consultation Meeting earlier this year:

Question Nine: Do you regret turning down the chance of Olympic Football now that no development is taking place at Villa Park this summer?

No. We held preliminary discussions with LOCOG about the possibility of hosting some games, (none of which were to feature Team GB), in the Olympic football tournament in 2008 and early 2009, but took the decision that the requirements of LOCOG around exclusive access to Villa Park and the potential disruption that would cause to our preparations for the start of the 2012-13 season, as well as our non-matchday business (such as conferences and weddings) during the summer, meant that hosting such games was not in the best interests of Aston Villa.This decision was never made in light of firm plans for development work to be taking place at the stadium this summer. We hope and expect that the Olympics will be a fantastic success for the country, and will be cheering on all of the British athletes involved in the games.

Paul Faulkner, Chief Executive

Fairs.

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 11:27:08 AM »
So because Team GB werent going to come and the massively oversubscribed and commercially lucrative non-matchday business (such as weddings and conferences) and the disruption to the start of the season (but its ok for ManUre and Newcastle - both finished higher than Villa last season) its not in the 'best interests of Aston Villa'.

Well done Paul.

I think when a decision is made that can affect thousands of jobs, businesses and lives of ordinary people it should be taken out of the hands of those who think for the minority and should be put as an open question to the majority - the people of Birmingham.

Offline villastikz

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 11:33:51 AM »
Villa Park will be hosting the Community Shield between Chelsea and Man City because other venues are being used for the Olympics. If we was holding Olympic games we might of only got some the games most people wouldn't have a lot of interest in and a empty ground.

I'd rather see VP full with fans for the Community Shield, between 2 of our top clubs than possibility of games like Egypt vs New Zealand that could have a half empty ground and wrecking our pitch for games there is little interest in.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 11:38:05 AM »
So because Team GB werent going to come and the massively oversubscribed and commercially lucrative non-matchday business (such as weddings and conferences) and the disruption to the start of the season (but its ok for ManUre and Newcastle - both finished higher than Villa last season) its not in the 'best interests of Aston Villa'.

Well done Paul.

I think when a decision is made that can affect thousands of jobs, businesses and lives of ordinary people it should be taken out of the hands of those who think for the minority and should be put as an open question to the majority - the people of Birmingham.

Bollocks to the non-Villa supporting people of Birmingham. When they care about us, that's when we should think about them.

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 11:45:24 AM »
I think they would have been better off holding some of these football matches at places like Walsall or Burton

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 11:46:24 AM »
I would love to know how much  it has cost 'The City of Coventry Stadium' to host games.
They cant use any of the car parks(which is a cash cow on match days).
They have had to change seats in the stands,and curry and chips would be off the menu.
I think we are better out of it.

Offline Summers

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 11:47:52 AM »
Anything happening in our stadium - or in/on any Villa property - should always benefit the club and it's fans.

The Olympic matches wouldn't have, so it's right not to bother.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 11:50:01 AM »
I think they would have been better off holding some of these football matches at places like Walsall or Burton

All the football matches should be held in London.

Its ridiculous to see the pitchside boards saying "London 2012" when the game is being played in another city, hundreds of miles away.

High profiles matches could have been played at Wembley, Twickenham and the Emirates. Lesser matches could have been played at other London Premier League grounds. The real "who gives a feck" games could have been played at Brentford, Orient, Millwall etc.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 11:50:51 AM »
I can't really see that the prospect of hosting Morocco v Honduras would really have put us on the map.  I think hosting the Community Shield is probably a bigger event anyway considering we wouldn't realistically have hosted too many/if any of the knockout rounds.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 11:56:41 AM »

All the football matches should be held in London.

Its ridiculous to see the pitchside boards saying "London 2012" when the game is being played in another city, hundreds of miles away.

High profiles matches could have been played at Wembley, Twickenham and the Emirates. Lesser matches could have been played at other London Premier League grounds. The real "who gives a feck" games could have been played at Brentford, Orient, Millwall etc.

Not very practical though using all those stadiums in same city at same time as well as all other events going on - just like the sailing, it's in Weymouth, not practical to have in Londo!
If they did do what you say, then people would moan about London having it all. You may as well say the torch relay should have been held inside the M25.

Offline jembob

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 11:59:26 AM »
I went to VP last week and noticed that they seem to be replacing the big screen at the corner of the Witton Lane/North Stand. Good news if they are and certainly worth missing the Olympics for.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 12:08:20 PM »

Well done Paul.

Who would have thought it, the CEO of Aston Villa doing what's right for Aston Villa. Wonders will never cease.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal