collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: USA Tour Summary  (Read 18369 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: USA Tour Summary
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2012, 08:08:43 PM »
I'm excited by the options in defence. I think Clark looks just excellent; Baker seems to be one cool dude; Lowton and Lichaj can both play centrally as well as at RB. Herd, Delph and Stevens are FB options and we appear to have finally landed Concrete Ron.
One more LB option and we're done, IMHO.
We can then open the exit door for Hutton, Warnock and Collins. Dunne as back-up for Concrete does it.
I'd say a left back, a midfielder and possibly a striker too, then we're done. I'd also be tempted to sell N'Zogbia. I wouldn't mind a more reliable winger in given Alby's injury and N'Zogbia's poor form.

However, Delph's form has been promising, so that could mean our midfield options are that bit stronger. Ditto Bannan, he looks up for it.
I heard a rumour that Aaron Lennon may be on the agenda ... I don't disagree that Charles may be an exit (wasn't a fan even before he joined us).

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2012, 12:03:03 PM »
Paul Lambert is eager for Karim El Ahmadi to play with a licence to thrill this season.

Lambert insists he won't curtail El Ahmadi's freedom in the centre.

The new Villa boss, who says he's been an admirer of his new signing for quite some time, believes El Ahmadi will quicken up the tempo in the middle of the park with his impressive range of passing skills.

He said: "Karim is someone I have been aware of for a while. I think he will be great for us. He is a very, very good footballer.

"I don't think he's a set player in terms of defensive or offensive. He can do most things and could do both roles if I asked him to do that.

"Certainly I won't curtail him and will let him play with freedom because I think that is the way he plays. He is a very good player.

"It was pleasing to get the deal done early because we needed someone who can put their foot on the ball and move it about a bit quicker. I think he'll do that for us.

"I think your eye as a manager tells you what a player is like in terms of their good habits and bad habits as well as how well they can move the ball.

"I think he can move the ball well and, at 27-years-old, he's an experienced player who has played international football.

"He's played at top club in Feyenoord and played in some big games in Holland as well."

Lambert is confident El Ahmadi will be in tune when the opening match of the season against West Ham rolls around next month.

That's due to the fact El Ahmadi will have enjoyed a full pre-season in his new league and new country.

He continued: "I'm pretty sure coming to the Premier League will be different challenge and also a different culture for Karim.

"What will help Karim is that he is in here from the beginning. He is here right from the off - it is not as if he is coming the day before we play West Ham and it's a culture shock and he's in a situation where he has not trained much.

"He's here right from the start so it should not really be a hindrance to him."

Lambert also hailed the quality of the competition he has joined from.

He added: "Dutch football is still a very strong league. You only have to look at Ajax and the way they played against Manchester United in the Champions League to realise that - they were very good.

"There's some big, big clubs and Karim has come from one of them.

"It won't faze him coming. I think if you give him the confidence he'll go and play."

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2012, 01:40:37 PM »
I'm excited by the options in defence. I think Clark looks just excellent; Baker seems to be one cool dude; Lowton and Lichaj can both play centrally as well as at RB. Herd, Delph and Stevens are FB options and we appear to have finally landed Concrete Ron.
We can then open the exit door for Hutton, Warnock and Collins. Dunne as back-up for Concrete does it.
I'd say a left back, a midfielder and possibly a striker too, then we're done. I'd also be tempted to sell N'Zogbia. I wouldn't mind a more reliable winger in given Alby's injury and N'Zogbia's poor form.

However, Delph's form has been promising, so that could mean our midfield options are that bit stronger. Ditto Bannan, he looks up for it.
I heard a rumour that Aaron Lennon may be on the agenda ... I don't disagree that Charles may be an exit (wasn't a fan even before he joined us).

I'd be delighted if we signed Lennon, but can't see it.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2012, 01:44:59 PM »
Paul Lambert is eager for Karim El Ahmadi to play with a licence to thrill this season.

Lambert insists he won't curtail El Ahmadi's freedom in the centre.

The new Villa boss, who says he's been an admirer of his new signing for quite some time, believes El Ahmadi will quicken up the tempo in the middle of the park with his impressive range of passing skills.

He said: "Karim is someone I have been aware of for a while. I think he will be great for us. He is a very, very good footballer.

"I don't think he's a set player in terms of defensive or offensive. He can do most things and could do both roles if I asked him to do that.

"Certainly I won't curtail him and will let him play with freedom because I think that is the way he plays. He is a very good player.

"It was pleasing to get the deal done early because we needed someone who can put their foot on the ball and move it about a bit quicker. I think he'll do that for us.

"I think your eye as a manager tells you what a player is like in terms of their good habits and bad habits as well as how well they can move the ball.

"I think he can move the ball well and, at 27-years-old, he's an experienced player who has played international football.

"He's played at top club in Feyenoord and played in some big games in Holland as well."

Lambert is confident El Ahmadi will be in tune when the opening match of the season against West Ham rolls around next month.

That's due to the fact El Ahmadi will have enjoyed a full pre-season in his new league and new country.

He continued: "I'm pretty sure coming to the Premier League will be different challenge and also a different culture for Karim.

"What will help Karim is that he is in here from the beginning. He is here right from the off - it is not as if he is coming the day before we play West Ham and it's a culture shock and he's in a situation where he has not trained much.

"He's here right from the start so it should not really be a hindrance to him."

Lambert also hailed the quality of the competition he has joined from.

He added: "Dutch football is still a very strong league. You only have to look at Ajax and the way they played against Manchester United in the Champions League to realise that - they were very good.

"There's some big, big clubs and Karim has come from one of them.

"It won't faze him coming. I think if you give him the confidence he'll go and play."

Excellent interview and I'm really impressed that Lambert clearly wants us to play good, passing football.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2012, 08:05:43 AM »
Tut Tut

Nowhere does he mention his defensive duties and being behind the ball

This manager knows fuck all about football  ;)

Cannot wait to our boys start the season

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2012, 10:00:10 AM »

I'd be delighted if we signed Lennon, but can't see it.

For the money I'd rather go for Sinclair if anyone.  Lennon and Walcott (included in this because his name gets mentioned from time to time) suffer from the fact that they got massive contracts as professional footballers based on their pace.  Up front you can get away with that so log as you can finish reasonably well, on the wing you look scarily inconsistent because a smart manager can set his team up to nullify you.  They both show glimpses of real talent but not enough to be worth what they'd cost.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2012, 10:10:53 AM »
Yeah, I like Lennon, but spurs would want in excess of 10m and he’s not worth that.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2012, 10:21:03 AM »
Tut Tut

Nor is he getting his excuses in early.  If that had been TSM it would have been an interview about it taking El Ahmadi until next year to settle etc etc.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2012, 01:30:04 PM »
Tut Tut

Nor is he getting his excuses in early.  If that had been TSM it would have been an interview about it taking El Ahmadi until next year to settle etc etc.

The difference in just the words that each manager use make a world of difference to us as fans - imagine what a positive message it gives the players also

I have said it before but i really cannot wait for this season to get started - i really think we are going to surprise a good few this year

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal