collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: USA Tour Summary  (Read 18368 times)

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
USA Tour Summary
« on: July 25, 2012, 12:36:08 PM »
Was looking at each of the games starting line ups on the successful USA trip (espedcially when you see how other premier teams have faired against MLS teams)
Anyway based on the starting line ups i have put a small summary together based on no new signings what the possible thinking behind PL's strategy and possible starting  team for Wet Spam (i know its still early but it was worth a shot)

Goalkeepers

Of the 3 taken Guzan started  in 2/3  although with Given in Euro 2012 and the last game on plastic i would imagine that the #1 will take the spot on opening day.

RB   

Lowton started 2/3 so although there are other options it seems PL has possibly found his man.

CB's

Clark  started 2/3
Collins 2/3
Baker & Dunne only 1/3 each (although Dunne could be due to Euros or that he is not in right condition)

LB

Warnock 2/3 
Baker - 1/3 but looking at the line up i believe this was at CB
Stevens - 0/3  now this is telling i feel and gives the impression he is really not fancied at this level

MF

Although there has a been a mish mash of many different starter configurations there has been some regularity

Ireland - Only player to have 3/3
Bannan - 2/3
El Ahmadi - 2/3
Holman - 2/3

Strikers
Interstingly that on paper he has opted for 442 in each game.
Now assuming the current injuries clear up i think Bent is a cert and Gabby seems to have impressed and scored

So based on this spurious form guide and pick list of PL and assuming we dont buy anyone that walks right into the team i could see this being the line up in 3 weeks time

Given

Lowton
Clark
Collins
Warnock

Ireland - Captain!
Bannan
El Ahmadi
Holman

Gabby
Bent

To be honest i would not be to unhappy with that

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: USA Tour Summary
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 12:41:19 PM »
Interesting.

I'd still expect Bent to be captain (not that it really matters).

I'd also expect at least a couple more signings before the end of the summer as well.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 12:42:41 PM »
I hope we have a new left back by the time the season get's under way and also hope the Ron Vlaar deal can be done soon but apart from that it don't look too bad.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 12:48:10 PM »
I think we learned a lot during this tour. I watched every game in full and even being at one you start to realise that this team really wants to pass the ball and keep possession as much as possible. It amazes me then that they had a manager last year that either could not get them to do this or refused to. The fact that Lambert has come in and in a few weeks got them playing to this standard is amazing. Still, there is a lot of work to do because that team and the current squad won't be able sustain that level for a whole campaign. I still think we need 4 or 5 players, and in that 1 or 2 top players to really get into the current top 8.

I have been very impressed by Lowton, Ireland and Bannan on this tour. Clark looked very at ease at CB and El Ahmadi just keeps things ticking over. Holman works hard and Gabby in the Chicago game until he got hurt looked lively and up for it. We were rarely troubled defensively and even last night we got a little sloppy for the first goal, and unlucky for their second. Otherwise you felt we always had another gear if we needed it.

Overall very happy with the application and the desire to play football at all times. This season will be so much better to watch than last and it won;t be close to the final product.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 01:16:01 PM »
If that was to be the team, I don't see a lot of natural width, which would lead me to think we'll play a diamond and give the FBs licence to get forward.

Offline supertommykN'iba

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 01:20:09 PM »
If that was to be the team, I don't see a lot of natural width, which would lead me to think we'll play a diamond and give the FBs licence to get forward.

= New Left Back to be signed, and a very competitive team.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 01:27:19 PM »
I expect a new LB and new CB.  If you think about it we know of the Concrete Ron interest and the Bertrand loan bid, so that stands to reason.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 01:55:17 PM »
I expect a new LB and new CB.  If you think about it we know of the Concrete Ron interest and the Bertrand loan bid, so that stands to reason.

I agree,think there will be at least two more additions before West Ham game,maybe even a forward,with three or four departing.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 02:00:45 PM »
LB & CB in with Hutton, Warnock and Collins departing - that's what I'm expecting.

After that I think he'll leave the defence alone and move onto the forward line, where it largely depends on who has impressed him or not so far.  Goiing by Hookey's summary above, it may not be good news for N'Zogbia.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 02:03:52 PM »
I think we could do with an extra forward as I wouldn't like to be relying heavily on Weimann or the Fonz if anything should happen, especially if we are playing Gabby and Bent.

Offline teamvillage

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 02:23:40 PM »
Great summary - except it was Marshall, not Guzan in nets for the first game.

Offline Hookeysmith

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 03:00:56 PM »
Great summary - except it was Marshall, not Guzan in nets for the first game.
Well i was not actually there so took the info from the match thread

One all singing and dancing thread for pre, match and post discussion.

Team: Guzan, Lowton, Collins, Clark, Warnock, KEA, Holman, Bannan, Ireland, Fonz, Bent

Offline Hookeysmith

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 03:05:34 PM »
I agree about the forward line and potential for injury and i do think that the Fonz might get the nod over A.W - but would like an experienced player to come in

MF areas - not sure of the shape he would play with that lot but certainly if the 3/3 starts for Ireland are anything to go by then he might just be building around him. Talk of this passing game being very evident leads me to think Ireland could be the ideal foil along with bannan who also seems to be favoured.

I agree also about fullbacks bombing forward - most attacking teams have good attacking fullbacks - last year we had Hutton - who got a nose bleed everytime he went near half way and Warnock who got into good overlapping positions but fucked it up due to low confidence or low ability.

I dont know much about lowton but if he is a marauding RB then talk of getting a similar LB could be all the width we may need

Intersting times

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 03:24:04 PM »
It certainly is interesting times.

From what I've heard of Lowton he has a reputatiopn for getting forward and scored a fair few goals last season for a defender.  Offensively, our wide players were largely poor last season, so it could well be that Lambert is looking to solve that with FBs rather than new wingers, which means playing narrower in the midfield, which in turn negates the possibility of getting out numbered 2 against 3 if we want to play both Gabby and Bent upfront.  Also, you could get Gabby pulling wide of Bent, thereby adding to the width of the team.  A diamond means the guy further forward, presumably Ireland, then has the opportunity to get in the box and support Bent from deeper.  Lots of interchanging of positions and attacking intent:-

Given
Lowton - Clark - C. Ron - Cresswell
                     Kea
      Holman     -      Bannan
                   Ireland
         Gabby   -   Bent   

« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 03:33:48 PM by John Mbert »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 08:05:31 PM »
Most significant thing for me is PL seems to have settled for a midfield diamond of Karim....Bannan....Holman....Ireland.

I haven't seen the game so not sure how it's been set up specifically but barring any injuries I believe we'll start at West Ham with those four.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal