collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Racism in football - The Guardian  (Read 52624 times)

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
Racism in football - The Guardian
« on: July 14, 2012, 11:23:52 AM »
taken from an article in the Guardian

But, [Lord] Ouseley says, those people who suggest that the work of Kick It Out is complete, and that it's now time to focus primarily on homophobia and sexism, are seriously deluded. He mentions the Equality Standard, initially introduced for local government and now applied to English football clubs. "There are three levels: the preliminary level is where people can say, we've got an equal opportunities policy, we take action against racism, we have black players. So they can develop a basic level of commitment to tackling discrimination. The next level, you've got to do a lot more than tick the boxes. And then, to get to the advanced level, you've got to show a corporate understanding of what racism and exclusion is all about, and it has to be understood and carried through by the management team. There are only two clubs that have hit advanced level: Arsenal and Aston Villa."

Offline Pat McMahon

Re: Racism in football - The Guardian
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »
I saw that over my midday coffee and I was very pleased.

As has been commented a few times on this site, Villa can generally be trusted to do the right thing.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 12:49:03 PM »
"And while Aston Villa and Arsenal stand in the 'advanced' level, Birmingham City remain in the 'Dark Ages' level. Regardless of this, they still remain many leagues ahead of Liverpool."

In all seriousness though, well done to the club, this is a tremendous and important achievement. Proud to be a Villain.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 01:03:15 PM »
As someone who has been involved in challenging racism, homophobia and misogyny in football at Villa Park since the late-70's (initially as a member of FAN and then as an individual) this is great news.

Overtly racist comment and abuse has all but died out as a general issue but the glee with which the, admittedly rare, opportunity to sing gay "accusations" is taken is shameful (normally at individual opposition players).

Sitting in the Trinity now I hardly hear anyone bad-mouthing anyway ;-)

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 01:10:46 PM »
It's great to see the club have reached the 'advanced' level. However at the same time I'm sad that so much of the game is still so far behind.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 02:28:09 PM »
This is good to hear. I think all three clubs around Birmingham are very good both from the management action and fans attitude side.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 02:33:19 PM »
Just read this. Good to see we are doing the right thing as usual.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 04:17:35 PM »
So proud. Really, really well done to everyone at Villa who has worked toward this.

Enjoy your recognition, you deserve it.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 05:32:41 PM »
Yet another in a long line of reasons that i'm proud to be a Villan.

Offline drisaac

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 06:46:57 PM »

"...you've got to show a corporate understanding of what racism and exclusion is all about, and it has to be understood and carried through by the management team."

This just makes me think: So what?

How easy it to never do anything racist, and to never tolerate racism?  What the hell is going on at the other clubs to make them fail?

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 08:17:55 PM »

"...you've got to show a corporate understanding of what racism and exclusion is all about, and it has to be understood and carried through by the management team."

How easy it to never do anything racist, and to never tolerate racism?  What the hell is going on at the other clubs to make them fail?

I think the key word is 'exclusion'. Didn't we trail a non-alcoholic beverage area? It's all about going the extra step rather than just saying certain ethnic groups are not interested in going to football matches, instead creating an environment whereby they don't feel excluded and feel welcome by the club. I think the club have been very pro-active and I hope they continue to be.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 08:47:13 PM »
As someone who has been involved in challenging racism, homophobia and misogyny in football at Villa Park since the late-70's (initially as a member of FAN and then as an individual) this is great news.

Overtly racist comment and abuse has all but died out as a general issue but the glee with which the, admittedly rare, opportunity to sing gay "accusations" is taken is shameful (normally at individual opposition players).

Sitting in the Trinity now I hardly hear anyone bad-mouthing anyway ;-)

Over the last few years, I've also noticed a lot more Asian fans at the games. Still nothing like as many as there should be, but it is good to see things slowly starting to change.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 10:57:17 PM »
Seconded paulie. Let's hope it continues.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 12:05:10 AM »

It's very easy to not do anything racist but it's another thing entirely to actively try to encourage whole swaths of society that have previously felt excluded from football because they feel that they might be threatened or unwelcome.
 Anything our club can and has done in this respect is great and it's good to see that we are being recognised.

Offline mike

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 05:44:45 AM »

It's very easy to not do anything racist but it's another thing entirely to actively try to encourage whole swaths of society that have previously felt excluded from football because they feel that they might be threatened or unwelcome.
 Anything our club can and has done in this respect is great and it's good to see that we are being recognised.

As opposed to say holding an international tournament in two countries with a history of racist behaviour by football fans, thus making sure racism is seen to be condoned or at least  not taken seriously and non white supporters don't feel safe to attend. that really helps remove the white stereotype of a football supporter. When you look at the proportion of black British players and compare that to the proportion of black people in the crowd, even at an 'advanced' club like Villa, it is obvious things are a long way off being right.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal