collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Pressing On  (Read 3639 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Pressing On
« on: July 10, 2012, 11:46:26 AM »

Offline mattjpa

Re: Pressing On
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 01:16:50 PM »
Just out of interest, I'm intrigued as to the clause in lambos contract that meant we paid no compensation, are there any more details on that? Also did we avoid compo for karsa and culverhouse?

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 01:25:41 PM »
Good article Dave.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 01:28:55 PM »
Just out of interest, I'm intrigued as to the clause in lambos contract that meant we paid no compensation, are there any more details on that? Also did we avoid compo for karsa and culverhouse?

The clause was in his previous contract with Norwich and said something along the lines of if a bigger club were interested in him, he was free to at least talk to them.    As Norwich refused, they broke the terms of the contract. 

I think.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 01:30:11 PM »
Not sure how true it is but there was talk of a clause in Lamberts contract which meant that he could be allowed to speak to other PL sides if approached.Norwich refused and therefore breached the contract so PL resigned-therefore no compo.Not sure about Karsa and Culverhouse,but they were superfluous to requirements anyway as Hughton got his own backroom in

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 02:33:48 PM »
Not disagreeing with anything in there, but the general complacency in the post-McLeish era is noticeable.

As you suggest, the first bad result will come as a nasty surprise

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 02:51:02 PM »
Not sure it's complacency Damon, more an acknowledgement that Lambert would be hard pressed indeed not to improve on the dreadful, ineffective, defeatist dross served up by his predecessor.  I think supporters will give him a chance as long as they can see he is trying to do things the right way, and has some kind of plan.  As many did with Houllier, despite his PR gaffes and FA Cup surrender.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 02:57:58 PM »
Not sure it's complacency Damon, more an acknowledgement that Lambert would be hard pressed indeed not to improve on the dreadful, ineffective, defeatist dross served up by his predecessor.  I think supporters will give him a chance as long as they can see he is trying to do things the right way, and has some kind of plan.  As many did with Houllier, despite his PR gaffes and FA Cup surrender.

I think that's about right. I'd say there's still a sense of relief around the club, but I don't think many are expecting miracles, just steady progress.

Offline nigel

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 04:20:08 PM »
Good article Dave.
I don't always agree with what you write, but that's our different opinions.
That article, though, was pretty much spot on with me.
The only piece I'd have any disagreement with would be that I think Guzan is ready for our n.o 1 spot. I know it was only a run of 6 games last season, but I felt the defence looked more at ease with him between the sticks.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 07:11:35 PM »
Not disagreeing with anything in there, but the general complacency in the post-McLeish era is noticeable.

It's a feeling of optimism, why not enjoy it while it lasts?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 07:46:52 PM »

And I'm sure the aftermath will come as a nasty surprise to the players too Damon.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 07:47:02 PM »

Agree with the first part, but not about Houllier. Always thought he was yesterday's man.

I think Dave's article about sums up where we are: the club has, in deeds if not in so many words, as good as admitted that 12 months ago it got it spectacularly wrong and, as a generalisation, I think that we the fans like what we see about both the speed of the appointment and early days of the Lambert era. There is a feeling of optimism that has been missing since the MON flounce, which I think will survive even a mediocre start to the season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal