collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Upper Grounds Pub.  (Read 31559 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Upper Grounds Pub.
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2012, 09:16:07 PM »
It seems strange that two pubs and the leisure centre would be knocked down and a fortune spent on renovating a pub a few yards away that must surely be close to falling down by now

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2012, 09:24:49 PM »
Im confused, is the Aston Tavern the derelict pub by the Aston expressway flyover, near the villa leisure centre ?
Is that pub owned privately or by a brewery / pub chain ?

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2012, 10:56:31 PM »
If it was then someone has gone to an awful lot of trouble drawing up detailed plans for it.
Don't forgot our brightest minds at the City Planning Department came up with the original road layout in front of Moor Street station that's been in permanent mother of all cone formations for about 5 years now!

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2012, 12:07:36 AM »
Im confused, is the Aston Tavern the derelict pub by the Aston expressway flyover, near the villa leisure centre ?
Is that pub owned privately or by a brewery / pub chain ?

Yes, that's the one. Don't know the ownership situation.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 12:09:16 AM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2012, 12:35:23 AM »
If it was then someone has gone to an awful lot of trouble drawing up detailed plans for it.
Don't forgot our brightest minds at the City Planning Department came up with the original road layout in front of Moor Street station that's been in permanent mother of all cone formations for about 5 years now!
I used to walk from Moor St. Stn to Villa Park, via several pubs. Fuck me, you try to do so now and get lost before what used to be known as Gosta Green.

Offline el león Benidorm

• GM : 28.05.2015
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2012, 05:26:07 PM »
I used to love the rat-pan. When I worked at VP we always used to meet in there before work (I only worked on matchdays). We used to get free membership as we worked on the gates and I used to like the wide selection of rolls on display ... cheese or ham. Cheese cob and a pint of Mickey Mouse - the real taste of home.

Offline myf

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2012, 07:51:53 PM »

[/quote]

aftab pls don't confuse highway engineers with planners

Offline MYSTERYMAN

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2012, 09:50:29 PM »
I had the Council into see me last week about properties in Aston its absolutely correct they are planning to renovate the land starting under the flyover and down by the Social . The plans are for a giant Automotive Park and yes Tavern gets renovated

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2012, 10:02:27 PM »
I had the Council into see me last week about properties in Aston its absolutely correct they are planning to renovate the land starting under the flyover and down by the Social . The plans are for a giant Automotive Park and yes Tavern gets renovated

sorry whats a giant automotive park

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2012, 10:28:18 PM »
A site for car components factories I presume.

Anyway, fascinating stuff MM. Will you be expanding? New premises perhaps? Might it attract competitors?

Keep us updated mate.

Offline Surrey Villain

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2012, 11:49:00 PM »

sorry whats a giant automotive park

A huge car park?

Offline MYSTERYMAN

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2012, 10:24:16 AM »
A site for car components factories I presume.

Anyway, fascinating stuff MM. Will you be expanding? New premises perhaps? Might it attract competitors?

Keep us updated mate.

Yes mate looking for another site aswell as keeping existing one . Because of what is happening with UK Car manufacturing won't bore you with the statistics but in a nutshell we have never made as many cars in the UK as we are now ! There is a lack of good sized available factories , Aston great motorway links and close to Jag and Land Rover . Council seriously looking at all of the area and creating an Automotive Park creating thousands of jobs in a high unemployment area . There will be lots of funding availiable and I know from first hand knowledge there are lots of companies in automotive looking to expand and they can't on their existing sites . The plans show Aston Tavern as being renovated but there are question marks / compulsory purchase to sort out with other pubs in the area . Queens Road Station  I believe would also have to be relocated .
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 11:50:14 AM by MYSTERYMAN »

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2012, 10:49:14 AM »
Good luck with it mate.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2012, 12:50:27 PM »

aftab pls don't confuse highway engineers with planners
[/quote]
I would love to know more myf as I alaways thought engineers executed plans?
Anyway going through is yesterday signs showed that new layout opens tomorrow. Looking forward to that.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2012, 01:05:09 PM »
Yes mate looking for another site aswell as keeping existing one . Because of what is happening with UK Car manufacturing won't bore you with the statistics but in a nutshell we have never made as many cars in the UK as we are now !
OK not quite correct on numbers. The highest production years was 1970 with well over 2m vehicles produced however we didn't export much and made no money. We are now close to that number and exporting all over the world and making loads of money. This is great and city council are coming to the part to their credit.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal