collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 10:15:04 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Ads
[Today at 10:14:50 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:11:13 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Richard E
[Today at 10:08:58 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV82EC
[Today at 10:08:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by rougegorge
[Today at 10:08:09 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Jane
[Today at 10:05:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:04:56 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Upper Grounds Pub.  (Read 31600 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Upper Grounds Pub.
« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2012, 12:55:56 PM »
Going back to the original point, what right have we, who visit the area 15-20 times a year, for maybe three hours at a time and in general provide very little in the way of direct investment, to influence development in what is a much more deprived area than virtually all of us live in? 

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2012, 01:13:05 PM »
Going back to the original point, what right have we, who visit the area 15-20 times a year, for maybe three hours at a time and in general provide very little in the way of direct investment, to influence development in what is a much more deprived area than virtually all of us live in? 

If these pubs are not financially viable then so be it but I would just like the buildings to be retained and re-used in some way. I believe that beautiful buildings enhance our lives even if we only ever drive or walk past them, that was my beef with Island House. I'm aware that there is a cost issue with old buildings but if they can be saved, or at least not totally destroyed, it would benefit us all.

Online Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #107 on: August 08, 2012, 04:33:55 PM »
Any hope that the King Edward could be restored and used as the often mooted AVFC  museum? I agree with Nev that preserving some of the Victorian/ Edwardian architecture adds to an environment rather than diminishing it.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2012, 04:36:32 PM »
Any hope that the King Edward could be restored and used as the often mooted AVFC  museum? I agree with Nev that preserving some of the Victorian/ Edwardian architecture adds to an environment rather than diminishing it.
The Holte Hotel should be used for that.Its not being used as a pub.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2012, 04:38:47 PM »

If these pubs are not financially viable then so be it but I would just like the buildings to be retained and re-used in some way. I believe that beautiful buildings enhance our lives even if we only ever drive or walk past them, that was my beef with Island House. I'm aware that there is a cost issue with old buildings but if they can be saved, or at least not totally destroyed, it would benefit us all.

I'm not sure how authentic the building now is, nor how unique it might be. There are many pubs of that vintage in the city and it might be that somewhere like the Vine has more architectural merit based on being unaltered and rarer. 

Online Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #110 on: August 08, 2012, 06:27:02 PM »
The Vine- best remembered by me for the eye catching luminous pieces of card dotted around the bar announcing the following:-

NO DRUGS ON PREMISES - CHEESE ROLLS AVAILABLE WITH SALAD.

It is that kind on incisive marketing that makes the British pub the envy of the world.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #111 on: August 08, 2012, 07:05:19 PM »
The Vine- best remembered by me for the eye catching luminous pieces of card dotted around the bar announcing the following:-

NO DRUGS ON PREMISES - CHEESE ROLLS AVAILABLE WITH SALAD.

It is that kind on incisive marketing that makes the British pub the envy of the world.
I used to work next to the vine,free pool table if you knew what you were doing.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #112 on: August 08, 2012, 10:30:11 PM »
The Vine used to have the fastest table football table around. I think they had covered the playing surface with formica.
No matter when you went in, the same bloke was there waiting, with his coin on the table. Fucking shark!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal