collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Culverhouse and Karsa to join the Coaching Staff  (Read 21575 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Culverhouse and Karsa to join the Coaching Staff
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2012, 07:01:04 PM »
My money's on off a step ladder into a coffee cup.

A step-ladder and a bucket wasn't it?  I definitely remember it being described as a game of "shit bucket".  A pre-internet version of Two Girls, One Cup, perhaps.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2012, 08:52:24 PM »
Sign 'em up!

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2012, 10:50:59 AM »
Great news, happy with that.

Offline Le Lapin

• GM : 14.10.2022
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2012, 11:06:37 AM »
All of this just feels right. Great to have the lads on board. Now the the hard work starts. I don't envy them.....having to teach our defenders to defend.....teach the whole team to defend from set pieces.....having to show our players that it's always good policy to pass to a teammate if at all possible....they'll have hypnotize our defenders to think that to hoofing the ball aimlessly up the pitch isn't the only option that they have..... and that it's okay for a defender to pass to a midfielder...

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2012, 11:10:49 AM »
It was always going to happen, we'd have appointed other people otherwise.

Good to see it confirmed, though.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2012, 11:35:12 AM »
I'm also glad they have been officially confirmed as Villa staff good news.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2012, 11:35:55 AM »
I'm more than happy they've finally signed up. I think the players are in for a shock but the better amongst them will respond positively to the changes. It will be interesting to see what happens with the defence, a few comments on the Norwich forums claim they'd never had a solid defence and it was a weak area for Culverhouse and Karsa.

Whatever happens, it won't happen overnight but it's good to know we're finally on the right track, moving in a positive direction towards the 21st century. Bibs and Cones they ain't.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2012, 11:46:23 AM »
I think Norwich having a relatively leaky defence points to a few things.
Norwich did seem quite open and attacking and they were essentially still playing with their squad from League 1.
In other words a few turds were still being polished.

To that I'd say we have better and can buy better so the results should be better.

But didn't Norwich concede the least goals from set pieces or something?
That shows organisation on behalf of the coaching staff at least.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2012, 11:48:05 AM »
I can only echo the sentiments above.

We've got a good manager. 
He's made his first signing, which seems excellent value and a position we were badly lacking in.
He's now got the backroom team he wanted.

When was that Bolton home game - 2 months ago?  Compare the feeling and attitude of fans now to then and ask yourself when we've had such a dramatic turnaround in expectation before?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2012, 11:58:23 AM »
When was that Bolton home game - 2 months ago?  Compare the feeling and attitude of fans now to then and ask yourself when we've had such a dramatic turnaround in expectation before?

That was one of the most depressing games as a Villa fan in years. Truly horrible to watch that unfold.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2012, 12:07:48 PM »
Summer 2006. Let's hope that this isn't as much of a false dawn as that transpired to be.

Offline asgpaul

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2012, 12:17:06 PM »

That was one of the most depressing games as a Villa fan in years. Truly horrible to watch that unfold.

Echo those sentiments, not that it could be any worse but I took my Blose supporting best friend for some strange reason.  Had to drop him back to Tamworth then head back down M5 to Bristol, was one of the longest treks back in a very very long time!

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2012, 12:19:32 PM »
I can only echo the sentiments above.

We've got a good manager. 
He's made his first signing, which seems excellent value and a position we were badly lacking in.
He's now got the backroom team he wanted.

That crazy period between the players statement and MON's first game in 2006 immediately springs to mind. 

We went from thinking a relegation scrap was quite likely to believing Europe and beyond wasn't just possible but probable (admittedly not in his first season).

This feels more like DOL's appointment in 2003 - a promising manager who has enjoyed a degree of success elsewhere surprising a few by turning up here.  Some of the more fundamental problems still remain, and it doesn't look like we'll be in contention to sign the better players and fight it out in the upper echelons again  anytime soon. 

That's not to say there aren't things to get excited about mind.  Most of us have called for a broader approach to transfer policy and it looks like we might now have it.  The hope would be that we don't just sell any gems we find after a promising season or two.   Everton have been able to recruit from the lower divisions and have - for the most part- held onto their better players. 

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2012, 12:28:51 PM »
Confirmed on the OS:

What's confirmed? Culverhouse and Karsa or Steve Harrison and his cup-kharsi?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal