collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by tomd2103
[Today at 12:14:34 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:06:52 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 24, 2024, 11:56:03 PM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Hillbilly
[April 24, 2024, 11:46:00 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[April 24, 2024, 11:04:47 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[April 24, 2024, 10:35:53 PM]

MOTD by Brazilian Villain
[April 24, 2024, 10:01:13 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[April 24, 2024, 09:46:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bent - Ireland deserves 'hole' role  (Read 29478 times)

Offline KRS

Re: Bent - Ireland deserves 'hole' role
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 07:18:15 PM »
Its all about service, and agree that Ireland is the best man to supply the correct service to Bent.

Bent thrives on balls played in front of him, plays on the shoulder of the last defender and is a natural goal scorer given the right service. He'll pick up scraps from crosses every now and again, but his main strength is an intelligent ball played through and there cant be a better man for picking those balls out than Ireland.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 07:39:03 PM »
Its all about service, and agree that Ireland is the best man to supply the correct service to Bent.

Bent thrives on balls played in front of him, plays on the shoulder of the last defender and is a natural goal scorer given the right service. He'll pick up scraps from crosses every now and again, but his main strength is an intelligent ball played through and there cant be a better man for picking those balls out than Ireland.

Agreed. Now we need a few more people who can stop the ball going in our net and a few who can get the ball to Ireland.

Offline AvFc4eVeR

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 07:45:28 PM »
I tend to agree with what Bent is saying. But I don't agree that Bent should be telling Lambert, through the Press, what he (Lambert) should be doing.

Totally agree, and Im not sure Lambert is the type to take to kindly to players telling him what to do.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2012, 08:36:09 PM »
I'm still hopeful of Lambert converting Gabby into a proper wide forward. I imagine he doesn't really want to play there but at times in that role he's looked immense.

He's so solid defensively as well when he plays wide.

We never did get to see a 4-2-3-1 with Bent as the spearhead, Ireland off him and Gabby and N'Zogbia on the flanks. I think it'd work. Get a dominating CM in and maybe Makoun next to him and we might be on to something.

I haven't read to the end of this thread but I must say this post here is spot on. We have the players to suit that system and it would be exciting (especially if Gabby is allowed use his pace to effect).

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, 08:46:49 PM »
Hes quality . Yes play him in the hole and why we are at it , I would love to play in a hole too.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 08:47:41 PM »
Hes quality . Yes play him in the hole and why we are at it , I would love to play in a hole too.

Don't we all

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2012, 09:10:22 PM »
Completely agree with Darren, I reckon we should build the team around him next season.
what has stephen ireland done for aston villa that deserves a team to be built round him?
Absolutely sweet fuck all

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2012, 10:27:10 PM »
Completely agree with Darren, I reckon we should build the team around him next season.
what has stephen ireland done for aston villa that deserves a team to be built round him?

Its not a reward, its making best use of your resources.

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2012, 10:31:25 PM »

On a side note, I've got no idea how he won Supporter's player of the year with all the stick I've seen him get on here.

Think of TripAdvisor. You will never ever find a good Hotel on TripAdvisor. People only ever sign up and post comments if they want to complain...

Runs for cover.

Offline rutski

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2012, 10:37:32 AM »

Its not a reward, its making best use of your resources.
you are looking at this like there will be no turn over of players and playing a man in the hole(a completely made up space on the pitch where lazy midfielders can say they are doing their work) will be essential for the team.
didnt norwich have an unbelievable amount of goals from crosses last year, thus saying to me that wingers may be more of use with stronger midfield pair. i am aware though lambert isnt afraid of mixing the team up and formations from game to game.
My opinion of ireland is thoughhe is a talent, we are not good enough to just give a player a free role to (delete as appropriate) malinger/graze/grace/dominate a 30 yard area in the oppositions half.
i would have thought a non stop unit would have been more obvious after last seasons ireland/N'zogbia laze fest with bent standing on his own chatting to opposition centre halves.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2012, 11:18:27 AM »
I understand your point Rutski but you're being a bit harsh on Ireland I think. He showed last season that he snt just about hanging about in no mans land waiting for the ball. That wont wash with Lambert anyway I would think.

But Ireland is such a good user of the ball that its folly not to use that. He's either the player you play through or he isnt all that much use. But in speed of thought and picking that quick incisive pass he hasn't many equals. That doesnt mean we dont also have other ways of playing and maybe sometimes Ireland doesnt fit that. But Bent is right, if you have a top striker (Bent) and a top playmaker (Ireland) then you try and make them work. The results could be magical. Resources could be decent this summer but Buying players of the quality of Ireland and Bent will be very difficult, so I say lets make best use of them.

Offline rutski

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2012, 11:45:18 AM »
i think we are all looking at ireland as the bit of silver lining to 2 years of very dark clouds. yes i think he can play but he has been here for 2 years now and you can count the actual games he has excelled in on one hand.
i think our standards and expectations have slipped and i dont think ireland could really give a fuck!
he has got to show a lot more to me and the club (and i expect his team mates) before we start the aston villa satellite circling around stephen ireland!

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2012, 12:13:36 PM »
'Hole'.

*snarf*

Offline pedro25

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2012, 01:16:01 PM »
Ireland one goal in 2 years, no thanks, give Holman a chance behind Bent with Gabby and N'Zogbia wide.

Offline Archie

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2012, 01:18:05 PM »
Lambert often played 4-3-1-2 at Norwich and Ireland is perfect in the hole role.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal