collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bent - Ireland deserves 'hole' role  (Read 29472 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Bent - Ireland deserves 'hole' role
« on: June 21, 2012, 02:54:53 PM »
sportinglife.com

Darren Bent has called for new Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert to give an extended run to Stephen Ireland in the 'hole' role behind the main striker to get the best out of him next season.

Ireland was voted Villa's player of the year by supporters for last season as he recovered from a disappointing first campaign at the midlands club.

England striker Bent believes Ireland is capable of achieving even greater heights if given time to settle into his preferred position as opposed to being played out wide.

Bent said: "There's no point playing Stevie Ireland one game and then moving him to the right and then taking him out of the team.

"You've got to play Stevie Ireland four or five games in that position and go from there.

"For me, he's the best footballer in the squad, and if you want to see the best Stephen Ireland and get the best out of him you need to be playing him."

Bent, currently recovering from the ankle injury which ruled him out of Euro 2012, said: "As a striker you want somebody like Stevie picking out your runs and playing passes to give you more chances.

"The best way to do that is to play him in the 'hole'.

"Confidence can make a massive difference to any player, and when he is feeling good about himself the performances will follow."

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
Re: Bent - Ireland deserves 'hole' role
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 03:01:06 PM »
I agree.

I think with a little more attacking freedom he will flourish.

He did his fair share of tracking back last season too, his work rate was good.

All depends on what shape Lambert plays.

If he plays a 4-4-2 I think Ireland could be out of the team, even though I don't think he's all that bad a little deeper.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 03:02:17 PM »
Agreed(y)

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 03:02:37 PM »
Usually interviews like this are generic, clichéd bullshit, but it seems Bent is quite forthright in wanting Ireland to play there.

IIRC one of the Sunderland supporters who came on here after we signed Bent said wing-play doesn't get the best out of him and he prefers to played in through the middle. So maybe it's Bent pushing for that.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 03:04:43 PM »
Clearly the best player on the ball at the club and one of the very few (if not the only one) who can control a ball and pass it whilst there is opposition around him. Doesn't panic.

My original beef with him was his workrate, but I thought he went some way to quashing that from about Xmas onwards. If TSM can get him doing that, then hopefully Lambert will be able to do the same, whilst also inspiring the other players around Ireland.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 03:05:59 PM »
The same article is in the Evening Mail.  If we are going to play a formation that accommodates a player in the "hole" then I can see Stephen Ireland being an asset in that position.  Whether he can last "four or five games" in a row without getting injured is another question though.   
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 03:09:27 PM by tomd2103 »

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 03:07:35 PM »
Bent likes it pushed through the hole

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 03:28:23 PM »
I like to play in the hole.

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 03:38:36 PM »
I tend to agree with what Bent is saying. But I don't agree that Bent should be telling Lambert, through the Press, what he (Lambert) should be doing.

Offline pestria

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 03:41:27 PM »
I agree.

I think with a little more attacking freedom he will flourish.

He did his fair share of tracking back last season too, his work rate was good.

All depends on what shape Lambert plays.

If he plays a 4-4-2 I think Ireland could be out of the team, even though I don't think he's all that bad a little deeper.

Agreed.

I don't think the other 3 midfielders are good enough to allow Ireland to play 'in the hole' and/or Ireland doesn't create enough to justify the risk of a more open midfield.

Might be worth considering in some other formation though.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 03:43:36 PM »
I'd like to kick him in the hole

No seriously he would suit Bent I think, I'd keep him to be honest. I think the problem is ireland is too intelligent for most of our players

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 03:49:34 PM »
I think he would be ideally suited in the black hole of calcutta

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 04:55:57 PM »
I think he's been mis-quoted.
I think he was suggesting that Ireland could do a good job on guitar in that shit band Courtney Love has.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 05:00:27 PM »
I'm still hopeful of Lambert converting Gabby into a proper wide forward. I imagine he doesn't really want to play there but at times in that role he's looked immense.

He's so solid defensively as well when he plays wide.

We never did get to see a 4-2-3-1 with Bent as the spearhead, Ireland off him and Gabby and N'Zogbia on the flanks. I think it'd work. Get a dominating CM in and maybe Makoun next to him and we might be on to something.

Offline rutski

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 05:00:41 PM »
I think he would be ideally suited in the black hole of calcutta
fecking lazy bastard. pull your finger out of your hole and start doing some proper work.
hopefully when lambert gets here all this preening of players will cease and get some effort in there.
he was played in the hole plenty of times last season and look where it got us, nowhere. not my player of the year. to be pigeon holed as the perfect player for a 30 yard square on the pitch is giving the lazy git a get out excuse!
did mortimer or cowans play in the hole? no. great grafters who could pass, fight, tackle and score by being just a 'midfielder'!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal