collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 10:44:59 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Agbonlahor excited by new boss  (Read 18885 times)

Offline old man villa fan

Re: Agbonlahor excited by new boss
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2012, 01:59:02 PM »
I share others' frustrations and misgivings. But it is worth remembering that he was very good indeed for a good proportion of the first half of last season. Scored dime excellent goals and played very well in games like Chelsea and Swansea away, even when he didn't score.

Given the significant work needed on midfield and defence, I'd be inclined to give him another chance.

Agree with this.

Around the time of the Chelsea away match people were saying that we should get rid of Bent and play Gabby up front on his own.  On the basis of a short period of analysis, I didn't agree with these people at the time.  Likewise, I do not go along with selling Gabby now based on a poor second half of the season when even Messi would have struggled in a side lead by McLeish.

We have tried to play one up front for the best part of the last two seasons with differing success.  Depending how Lambert wants to set us up as a team will dictate how Gabby performs in my opinion.  Gabby does not have an all round game like top strikers but can be a top 6 forward played in the right formation and with the right players behind him.  Until we see how Lambert wants to set the team up we should not be quick to pass judgement.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2012, 02:08:06 PM »
However, we can't let them piss about all season again. Sid should be able to advise on those to be got rid off with immediate effect. A handful would have until Christmas but no longer. Regardless of the manager, they have been paid good money and owe us more than they have given so far.

Interesting point.

Cowans was always the ultimate professional.  He had great talent but was never a 'Billy big bollocks' type of player.  I wonder what his opinions are of some our 'only here for the money' type of players.  I should imagine the attitude of some does not sit well with him, particulary when most of his time here in his playing days were in a team of generally solid grafting professionals.

It will be interesting to see if Lambert consults with him on the players in the squad.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2012, 02:15:22 PM »
You're all mad for wanting to sell Gabby. We'd have gone down without his contribution in the early part of last season.

There were very few players in the squad who didn't take their foot off the gas after Christmas last season, why is Gabby the only one criticised for doing it?

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2012, 02:17:59 PM »
At the start of last season gabby was the sharpest i've seen him, but towards the end of last season it was the poorest I've seen him. Hopefully he can bang a few in next season, mainly because I love the fact he's a brummy lad playing for his club.

Fresh start playing under a new manager, got into the England squad, got injured, rushed back, wasn't ready, team were poor and he lost enthusiasm when it became obvious McLeish wasn't up to the job. He wasn't the only one.

If he has another poor season, then yes maybe it is time to get rid. But he deserves another chance. There have been many worse than him we've persevered with.

Offline supertom

« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2012, 02:40:31 PM »
At the start of last season gabby was the sharpest i've seen him, but towards the end of last season it was the poorest I've seen him. Hopefully he can bang a few in next season, mainly because I love the fact he's a brummy lad playing for his club.

Fresh start playing under a new manager, got into the England squad, got injured, rushed back, wasn't ready, team were poor and he lost enthusiasm when it became obvious McLeish wasn't up to the job. He wasn't the only one.

If he has another poor season, then yes maybe it is time to get rid. But he deserves another chance. There have been many worse than him we've persevered with.

I'd love to see what he'll do for Lambert. No one was good under McLeish. Not a one. Average was good as anyone mustered under the piss poor management of McCatpiss. Plus Gabby had a few niggly injuries. He probably played a lot while not fully fit whilst Bent was out, because of necessity. The fact he ended the season as captain, showed our dearth in reliable, senior players. It's also possible that under the last manager our fitness levels were not very good and in part led to so many injuries. Something wasn't right. We struggled because Houllier overworked the players, which led to injury. Under McLeish perhaps it was too slack. I can't base our injury situation purely to luck.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
Web have to give him a fresh start, he is a good player and hopefully for us he will get that form back. Even Bent couldn't score under the management of TSM.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2012, 04:14:02 PM »
Web have to give him a fresh start, he is a good player and hopefully for us he will get that form back. Even Bent couldn't score under the management of TSM.

Apart from the 10 in 25 games that Bent did score under OVM which is pretty much his career average?

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2012, 04:16:07 PM »
He'll get a chance I'm sure, but he needs to sort his attitude out and lose some weight.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2012, 05:02:57 PM »

Apart from the 10 in 25 games that Bent did score under OVM which is pretty much his career average?
The way things went I reckon the goals would have dried up at the end for him too. Only speculation I know but we became so so poor.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2012, 05:26:47 PM »
Gabby and Bent were about level for the first few months of the season, so Gabby was doing well to keep pace as he was also setting up a few for Bent to tap in, and as always, Bent was not reciprocating.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal