collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Agbonlahor excited by new boss  (Read 18886 times)

Offline andyaston

Re: Agbonlahor excited by new boss
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2012, 06:52:28 PM »
Its just another boring article with a player using well used cliches about a new manager.

Almost as boring as Shay Given saying what a top manager he is under.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2012, 07:04:49 PM »
Sorry to see so many Gabby-haters. 

Don't hate him. That's a terrible word. Gabby has limited dexterity as an offensive player and his pace will go or has already gone. After that  he will be even more limited. So if e can pick up that sort of money great and he will do well out of a contract given to him by O'Neill.

Offline ez

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2012, 07:09:07 PM »
Can see Gabby on the bench a lot next season. Bent and Weimann will be the starters.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2012, 07:10:21 PM »
I love Gabby, but am fed up with how he goes months scoring either rarely or not at all every season. And especially unimpressed with his attitude last season when we were in the shit. "Can't wait for the season to end" which was obvious from his performances in his supposed best position after Bent got injured. Mr Villa went missing when he was needed most and at his age the excuses have to stop.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 07:15:43 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2012, 07:12:54 PM »
Can see Gabby on the bench a lot next season. Bent and Weimann will be the starters.
This. See ya Gabby, thanks for the memories and no matter where you end up you'll always get a good reception when you come to Villa Park.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2012, 07:48:06 PM »
I can see Gabby bagging 16 three of which will come against the Albion, two at Hawthorns.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2012, 08:11:22 PM »
Sorry to see so many Gabby-haters.  He very much deserves another season given the performances he has delivered in his Villa career.  Senior players are asked a hundred times when a new manager comes in about it.  What are they supposed to say aside from "it's exciting blah blah". 

As for selling him to Sunderland, I'd rather not help O'Neill out thanks.  Gabby can be devastating and on top form is worth way more than £12m in todays inflated market. 

I hate the term "haters". It seems to be a chav-fueled social media term which is used to describe anyone who has the slightest bit of criticism for anything else, which is all that is being expressed.

Purely on football...

Deserving another season? What do you have to do to "deserve more time"? Not delivered for 2 straight seasons, sulked a lot when played out wide, done absoluptly nothing when played in his "best" position. No movement, and Houllier was right about him needing to lose a bit of the bulk, he has lost a good amount of pace, and will never be bright enough to make up for shortfalls as an athlete by having the movement and awareness to make up. He is a lower mid table striker, but never going to be what some think he is. His movement and finishing is simply not up to it the standard needed. If MON offered anything over 8 million I would drive him up there, and would pay the petrol.

On sentiment, I would love him to score  20 goals next season, put me right on all that I have written above, and lead us to a top 8 finish. I would love it, because he is Gabby and he is ours. But sentiment should not come into analysing his talent.

So you're a hater hater?  ;)

I'll pretend you didn't infer I was some kind of 'chav' Ozzbert!  This is about as social media as I get so if I inadvertently use another term to your distaste be sure to pipe up!

So you aren't a fan of Agbonlahor, fair enough, he can be frustrating to watch at times I agree and isn't top draw (Van Persie et al).  But I reckon he's worth persevering with.  Actually, it's a bit like the comments about Given being flogged: we have a VERY small nucleus of senior pros at the club, Gabby one of them, who, on their day are good enough for a top 6 club.  Selling them because they can't take us higher than 4th is mental when we just avoided relegation.

It's a bit like when a dad takes over a junior football team and makes his son train extra hard - Gabby, if anything, seems to get more stick because he's local.  So that sentiment is a double edged sword for the bloke.

Innit.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2012, 08:14:54 PM »
He played well from August-December though. Let's not forget that.

Look back to most of those games and he was either scoring or setting them up for Bent.

Fcuk knows what happened to him after xmas but he didn't step up in Bent's absence at all so yes he has a lot to prove next season.

Offline bilsim

• I just love Aston Villa.
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2012, 08:20:21 PM »
At the start of last season gabby was the sharpest i've seen him, but towards the end of last season it was the poorest I've seen him. Hopefully he can bang a few in next season, mainly because I love the fact he's a brummy lad playing for his club.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2012, 08:22:28 PM »
My guess is a total lack of confidence is what happened to him after xmas, Soccer HQ.  Just like most of the team in fact.  Like you say though he was great (I would say our best player) for a couple of months just before the turn on the year.

Maybe his legs have gone a bit too?  But to get rid now (drive him to Sunderland etc) seems a little unfair on a player who has proved, albeit fleetingly over the past 12 months, to be up to the job of top 6 striker  seems over the top to me.  I guess/hope we'll see.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2012, 08:23:37 PM »
At the start of last season gabby was the sharpest i've seen him, but towards the end of last season it was the poorest I've seen him. Hopefully he can bang a few in next season, mainly because I love the fact he's a brummy lad playing for his club.

Same for me.

I think it's wrong to say people hate Gabby. They shouldn't anyway as he's scored some very important goals for us down the years, goals that helped us get 6th three years in a row.

It's wrong however to rewrite history when he was comfortably our best player from August-December last season.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2012, 08:41:14 PM »
It's time he left - he's been poor for 2 seasons now and he needs a new challenge.  He considers himself an automatic pick but sadly his form is far from that.  Time to move on IMO.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2012, 08:46:58 PM »
Sorry to see so many Gabby-haters.  He very much deserves another season given the performances he has delivered in his Villa career.  Senior players are asked a hundred times when a new manager comes in about it.  What are they supposed to say aside from "it's exciting blah blah". 

As for selling him to Sunderland, I'd rather not help O'Neill out thanks.  Gabby can be devastating and on top form is worth way more than £12m in todays inflated market. 

This

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2012, 08:58:23 PM »
After the Norwich game on Nov 5th he scored 0 league goals and had 1 assist (Dec 12th at Bolton).

This season is going to be a big one for him career wise after the last 2 seasons. I really hope he can hit form and consistency as Gabby in full on mode is a great sight, but i'm not convinced he can do it.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2012, 08:59:46 PM »
If anyone offered anywhere near £12M for Gabby I'd like to think we'd get him there before their tablets wore off. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal